Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tanya31 Posts: 13, Reputation: 1

Dec 14, 2007, 11:10 PM
    Long period
    I'm 18 and I'm not on birth control. I have my period right now and I'm on the tenth day (yikes). I'm normally pretty regular. I normally last about 6 days. But today being the tenth day I have started to worry. It is still very heavy. In my normal cycle I'm about as heavy as I am the second day. So I don't know if anyone has any idea why this could be happening. Anyone have any advice/information? Thank you very much.

Dec 14, 2007, 11:26 PM
    Okay, well now I'm technically going on day 11. And no change in the flow.
    simoneaugie Posts: 2,490, Reputation: 438
    Ultra Member

Dec 14, 2007, 11:31 PM
    It could be holiday stress. The uterus sheds its lining every month. Where is it finding all that extra stuff? I always ask myself that question when it happens to me. It is your first experience with this "run-on" though. Go to the doctor. They may test you for something. But you'll probably experience it again in your lifetime. They sometimes find things like uterine fibroid tumors. Those are not cancerous. If they run in your family, your mom or a female family member will know.

Dec 14, 2007, 11:33 PM
    Thanks. I also forgot to add that I completely skipped 2 months prior to this.. could that be affecting it also?
    Cristal444 Posts: 27, Reputation: 2

Dec 15, 2007, 08:12 PM
    That could be related. Especially if you skipped the 2 prior months due to a hormonal problem.

Have you been taking a lot of anti-inflammatory medications lately? This can cause more bleeding as well.

Dec 16, 2007, 08:09 PM
    No, I haven't been taking any meds at all.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Dec 16, 2007, 08:19 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by tanya31
    Thanks. I also forgot to add that I completely skipped 2 months prior to this.. could that be affecting it also?
    Yes, this very well could be why your period is so long. But remember, our advice here does not in any way replace the advice of a doctor.

Dec 16, 2007, 08:23 PM
    Yes I know.. I just can't get to a doctor for a bit because I'm stuck at school. I just didn't know how serious it was and if I need to attempt to get home soon to get it checked or not.
    Expert

Dec 16, 2007, 08:25 PM
    Are you bleeding excessively? Like a pad an hour or more?

Dec 16, 2007, 08:28 PM
    No not quite that much. But its really constant.. like this is the 12th day, and its not slowing down or anything.
    Expert

Dec 16, 2007, 08:30 PM
    This may or may not be related to skipping your period for 2 months. Without knowing your personal health history it is impossible to say for sure.

Is there not a clinic at your school?

Dec 16, 2007, 08:32 PM
    We only have a part time nurse, she doesn't really deal with much.. just the typical cough drop solves anything. But my period has normally be very regular then it just skipped and now it won't go away. Its very not fun.
    Expert

Dec 16, 2007, 08:33 PM
    I imagine it's not fun. Can you get to a local clinic? My concern is for your iron levels which may or may not be affected by this lengthy period.

Dec 16, 2007, 08:34 PM
    I was kind of wondering about that too, I've just been exhausted recently, is there anything simple I could do to get more iron?
    Expert

Dec 16, 2007, 08:45 PM
    Eat red meats, green leafy veggies, take a multi-vitamin... Those are all things that will help get iron back in your system.

Dec 16, 2007, 08:50 PM
    Okay, thank you

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

My too long period [ 3 Answers ]

Okay, Its 8/20 and I started my period 2 weeks ago from tomorrow. I think something is wrong with me... What is wrong? Why am I still on my period? Hopeless&& scared,

Period long, Am I OK? [ 1 Answers ]

Ok so I'm 13 and this is only my 5th period and right now is day 11. But my first period was 10 days long and ones after were 6-8 until May, that was at the end of the month and I was really stressed and I skipped a month, but I think I was just stressed and my grandmother said she used to do that...

Long Period [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I just started birth control a week and a half ago. I got my period 2 sundays ago and I've been on my period for 11 days now. Im scared because I've never had a long period like this. Its not a heavy period, it's a light period. At first it was heavy and then it got light so I thought it...

View more questions Search