Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    nklorey Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 14, 2007, 06:05 PM
    Replace leaking bathtub diverter
    The diverter for our guest bath leaks like a sieve, diverting very little water to the shower. The tub/shower set is American Standard, about 20 years old. I have seen SpeedBall1's picture in response to a post by EJJ88 showing that if there is a slot near the wall, you can remove the spout using an allen wrench.

However, there is just smooth copper pipe above this slot on my spout. I am rather afraid to try twisting the thing off, although I know where the whole-house water turn off is! Any help would be appreciated.

Oh, for what it's worth, the bottom of the spout is marked with "AS" and "92".

Thanks.
    doug238 Posts: 1,560, Reputation: 62
    Ultra Member

Dec 14, 2007, 07:09 PM
    You are fortunate that you have the smooth copper pipe. I also do not like twisting these off but will try to ever so gently with my hands only. If I feel that it will twist the pipe in the wall or the exposed pipe I will put an old towel inside the tub and use my torch to heat up with direct heat on the tip of the spout. This of course will ruin the spout but you are replacing it anyway. One of 2 things will happen with the torch, 1- the spout will loosen and easily unscrew or 2- the spout will melt off and the thread adapter on the end of the copper will be exposed so you can secure it while unscrewing the remnant of the spout. If you put 12 wraps of teflon tape on the end thread you can screw the spout on hand tight and be able to stop short without it leaking. Many twist the pipe trying to finish that last turn to get the spout straight.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Disassembly of Delta model #2476 to replace diverter [ 2 Answers ]

I have a Delta waterfall/#2476 and have determined (through Delta) that the diverter needs to be replaced. Problem: I cannot get the spout off. I have the diagrams for removal but the diagram does not indicate how to loosen the spout. It appears to have some time of retaining clip near the base,...

Diverter stem replace [ 1 Answers ]

I Already Change The Diverter Stem On My Bathroom Shower. I Installed A New One (sayco). It Works Ok, Except When I Rotote It To Change And Send Water Only On Top Shower, Because It Send Also Water To The Bottom Shower (both ways). Do It Have Any Particular Way To Install It? Do I need to...

Need to replace tub diverter - stressed out [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, This is my first home and much to my surprise, the shower doesn't work. I did some research and found that part of my problem is that the diverter in the tub has corroded away and now the water only comes from the spout, not the shower. We are trying to take off the spout to replace it,...

View more questions Search