Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    archert Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 12, 2007, 09:14 AM
    Gas Smell around Water Heater
    I am in the process of purchasing a house. The inspector smelled gas and his detector indicated a gas reading around the Hot Water Heater. The sellers had a plumber check it out for a leak. They did a diagnostic test using a liquid soap solution around the gas line, going into the water heater. They could not find a leak. It was on "vacation mode" and when he turned it to normal setting a puff of gas came out. He said pressure must have built up in the line and that is what the inspector's gas detector read. Is this normal for pressure to build up on "Vacation Mode". Is this safe and normal for this to happen?
    pelle Posts: 96, Reputation: 0

Dec 12, 2007, 06:45 PM
    There is a couple of things that could be going on.. There could be a small leak after the gas valve on the burner supply piping. (this would only occur when the hot water tank is fired).. This could also be caused by the rush of gas into the combustion chamber and some leaks out before it is all burned (start up only)..
    Try soaping the connection of the main burner piping and firing the tank.. if you see bubbles at the connection there is the leak.. no bubbles and it is the second issue.
    For peace of mind call the gas utility and have them send a rep out to check it out if you are not satisfied with what you find..
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Dec 12, 2007, 07:01 PM
    Pelle ends with the best advice of all, have the gas company check it, they will shut it down if there is any leak whatsoever. The draw back would be that they may not respond since you are not the owner. Your inspector could recheck it for more $$. I would not accept the owners plumbers verbal explanation.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Need help deciding between a tank or tankless water heater [ 19 Answers ]

Which one saves me money; the tankless water heater or conventional tank water heater? :confused:

Connecting a tankless water heater and separate hot water heater [ 6 Answers ]

What I have is this. An oil fired boiler that generates hot water for my house baseboard heating system. Contained within the boiler is a tankless heater that is heated by way of the firebox in the boiler. The tankless heater is used only for domestic hot water. It has a separate CW supply to the...

Sewer smell when washing clothes and metal smell in water [ 1 Answers ]

We just moved in a Lease to own house and after one month there is now a smell of sewer when washing clothes. The smell in the water has been here since day one and we are in the process of testing the well water. Can anyone help? I think we have a septic tank since we are on well water but the...

Strange smell around water heater [ 11 Answers ]

There is a strange sewer-like smell surrounding the upstairs hot water heater in my house that is making me sick. The smell comes and goes and can be very strong and overwhelming. One plumber smelled it, but didn't know what caused it or what to do about it. I would appreciate any thoughts on...

Rotten smell in heater [ 1 Answers ]

If there is something dead in the vents and I cannot find it. Could it possilby be from the unit itself? After I checked the vents I dissasembeld some of the unit the vent box and checked inside the heat exchanger and smell was in there. I also checked the return and changed the filter. If the...

View more questions Search