Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    cassini Posts: 39, Reputation: 2

Dec 12, 2007, 03:55 AM
    Bible & Astrology
    Just before Jesus 2nd coming , there will be some-extraordinary planetery movements in the sky- Is bible acclame Astrology-
    savedsinner7 Posts: 412, Reputation: 52

Dec 12, 2007, 07:42 AM
    The Bible says not to use astrology. The LORD tells of the signs of His coming which are very different than looking to the stars to tell you how to live.

Deuteronomy 18:10-12 (New Living Translation)
    New Living Translation (NLT)
    10 For example, never sacrifice your son or daughter as a burnt offering.[a] And do not let your people practice fortune-telling, or use sorcery, or interpret omens, or engage in witchcraft, 11 or cast spells, or function as mediums or psychics, or call forth the spirits of the dead. 12 Anyone who does these things is detestable to the Lord. It is because the other nations have done these detestable things that the Lord your God will drive them out ahead of you.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Dec 12, 2007, 07:44 AM
    No, God used the stars as a sign and wonder for the people to show them an event was to happen. It does not run or control lives or predict future
    lobrobster Posts: 208, Reputation: 26

Dec 12, 2007, 09:31 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by savedsinner7
    The Bible says not to use astrology. The LORD tells of the signs of His coming which are very different than looking to the stars to tell you how to live.
    But Fr_Chuck, do you realize that many people believe in the power of astrology, in the same way that many believe in the power of prayer? Do you further realize that the evidence for each is just as convincing?
    kindj Posts: 253, Reputation: 105

Dec 12, 2007, 09:51 AM
    I don't think so. I think what it is saying is about the sun, moon, and stars not giving their light anymore, at which time I'm pretty sure we'll all know what's about to happen. I'll find the exact Scriptures and get back to you as soon as I can.

Dec 12, 2007, 09:52 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by lobrobster
    But Fr_Chuck, do you realize that many people believe in the power of astrology, in the same way that many believe in the power of prayer? Do you further realize that the evidence for each is just as convincing?
    That's the nice thing about free will: people are free to believe as they choose.

However, those of us who claim Christianity as our faith have quite clear instructions on the matter--namely, to not have anything to do with it.

Dec 12, 2007, 09:54 AM
    Mark 13:24-26

24 "But in those days, following that distress, "'the sun will be darkened, and the moon will not give its light;
    25 the stars will fall from the sky, and the heavenly bodies will be shaken.'
    26 "At that time men will see the Son of Man coming in clouds with great power and glory.

Dec 12, 2007, 04:33 PM
    Many people choose not to believe in God and Jesus, but that doesn't change the fact of who they are and consequences to our choices.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Dec 12, 2007, 05:47 PM
    Yes and millions of kids believe in Santa Cluas and the Easter bunny, just because people have been sold a bill of goods and are silly enough to believe it, does not make it real by any means. A person can nromally read into their future or even cause things to happen they believe will.

Dec 12, 2007, 06:24 PM
    The Bible says there are other gods. Astrology comes from the same spirit as divination and witchcraft, both of which are demonic.

Prophecy is inspired by the Holy Spirit.

Dec 12, 2007, 08:59 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Fr_Chuck
    Yes and millions of kids beleive in Santa Cluas and the Easter bunny, just because people have been sold a bill of goods and are silly enough to beleive it, does not make it real by any means.
    Ooooooohhhhhh, the irony!

You're killing me Chuck...
    De Maria Posts: 1,359, Reputation: 52
    Ultra Member

Dec 13, 2007, 05:45 PM
    Your message is way off topic Lob. You seem to like these sort of hit and run attacks on religion which we can't discuss in detail. But I tell you what, anytime you want to discuss, whatever it is you said above, start a thread.

And, fyi, I believe I can provide evidence from studies and from witnessed historical events of the power of prayer. Whether you believe the evidence, that's another story.

Prayer and Faith Healing, Benefits of Prayer, prayer healing ...
    Kenneth Cooper, author of 'it's Better to Believe', says that having deep personal convictions and values can do wonders for almost every aspect of your physical and emotional well-being. He listed several specific enhancements to health that have been linked to firm, inner commitments to moral principles, social values, God, or even oneself.

Prayer and Faith Healing, Benefits of Prayer, prayer healing, spiritual healing, mind-body healing, mind-body medicine

This issue mentioned a double-blind study about the effects of healing prayer in reproductive medicine, in which 50% of the women prayed for conceived, compared with 26% of the control group. Neither the women nor any of the medical staff involved in their care even knew that a study was being conducted.
    The Study of Healing Prayer

Sincerely,
    ordinaryguy Posts: 1,790, Reputation: 596
    Ultra Member

Dec 13, 2007, 06:10 PM
    The Bible says not to use astrology.

And do not let your people practice fortune-telling, or use sorcery, or interpret omens, or engage in witchcraft, 11 or cast spells, or function as mediums or psychics, or call forth the spirits of the dead.
    I can't help but notice that the text you quote in support of your assertion that "The Bible says not to use astrology" doesn't even mention astrology, much less forbid the study and use of it.
    Ultra Member

Dec 13, 2007, 06:21 PM
    Astrology comes from the same spirit as divination and witchcraft, both of which are demonic.
    How did you arrive at this conclusion? Do you actually have any idea what astrology is about?

Dec 13, 2007, 08:49 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ordinaryguy
    How did you arrive at this conclusion? Do you actually have any idea what astrology is about?

Isaiah 19:3
    The spirit of Egypt will fail in its midst; I will destroy their counsel, And they will consult the idols and the charmers, The mediums and the sorcerers.

2 Kings 21:6
    Also he made his son pass through the fire, practiced soothsaying, used witchcraft, and consulted spiritists and mediums. He did much evil in the sight of the LORD, to provoke Him to anger.

Deuteronomy 18:14
    For these nations which you will dispossess listened to soothsayers and diviners; but as for you, the LORD your God has not appointed such for you.

Yes. I used to study it deeply.
    Ultra Member

Dec 14, 2007, 06:24 AM
    Isaiah 19:3
    The spirit of Egypt will fail in its midst; I will destroy their counsel, And they will consult the idols and the charmers, The mediums and the sorcerers.

2 Kings 21:6
    Also he made his son pass through the fire, practiced soothsaying, used witchcraft, and consulted spiritists and mediums. He did much evil in the sight of the LORD, to provoke Him to anger.

Deuteronomy 18:14
    For these nations which you will dispossess listened to soothsayers and diviners; but as for you, the LORD your God has not appointed such for you.
    Again, no mention of astrology. It is you who classifies it with the activities mentioned in these verses. The fact that you do that tells me that you have a mistaken understanding of it.

Yes. I used to study it deeply.
    There are a wide variety of approaches to the subject, by all kinds of people. Apparently your mentors were very far outside the mainstream of current astrological thought.

Dec 14, 2007, 07:27 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by De Maria
    Your message is way off topic Lob.
    It was off topic, but I sometimes have a hard time passing on obvious inconsistent statements. I'm also not quite used to a strict question/answer format, rather than forums for the 'discussion' of topics. I'm getting better though and have retrained myself numerous times just recently.
    mstkay76 Posts: 16, Reputation: 5

Dec 23, 2007, 08:56 PM
    Google: Bethlehem Star

While I may not subscribe to many things some Christians say or teach due to what I've read independently in the Bible, I do find myself rather intrigued by the entire ASTRONOMICAL (not astrological) portion as there is historical and documented evidence of such.

Looking to the stars to foretell the future is strictly warned against in the Bible as are all forms of future telling - previously posted by savedsinner.

I believe your question is in regard to Astrology NOT Astronomy. They are two different studies. Astrology has no place in the Bible wherein Astronomy does. Although Astronomy has it's place and mention in the Bible, it still shall not be utilized for the purposes of predicting the future as that would be turning it into the practice of Astrology and thereby attempting to foretell the future.
    Ultra Member

Dec 24, 2007, 06:54 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by mstkay76
    Looking to the stars to foretell the future is strictly warned against in the Bible as are all forms of future telling

Although Astronomy has it's place and mention in the Bible, it still shall not be utilized for the purposes of predicting the future as that would be turning it into the practice of Astrology and thereby attempting to foretell the future.
    Most of modern astrological theory and practice is focused on the relationship and correspondence between the inner and the outer worlds. It has nothing to do with trying to predict the future. Only a fool would even want to know that.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Astrology pairs [ 1 Answers ]

Hello to all of you. Id like those who are interessted to share info on their signs matched with their partners, and how we view them (works well/not, What is needed to make it work well) I'll start with myself. I am a gemini man who is dealing with a scorpio woman. I find that the match works...

Nadi Astrology [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I have seen a type of astrology in india called "NADI ASTROLOGY" in india. Letme brief it. It is based on the belief that every thing in our life is pre determined by god. The ancient sages of indian soil wrote number of poems (beleived to have written around 2000 year back) , which contains...

Is there any interest in a forum on natal astrology? [ 3 Answers ]

I have an interest in and some experience with natal astrology, i.e. the analysis of individual birth charts. My approach to the subject has been heavily influenced by the writings of Dane Rudhyar, Stephen Arroyo and others of that general persuasion. This approach is not at all related to...

A question on astrology. [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I have seen a type of astrology in india called "NADI ASTROLOGY" in india. Letme brief it. It is based on the belief that every thing in our life is pre determined by god. The ancient sages of indian soil wrote number of poems (beleived to have written around 2000 year back) , which contains...

Asrtonomy/astrology? [ 2 Answers ]

Hi pals Astronomy and astrology , are they both same?

View more questions Search