Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    luap35 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 11, 2007, 08:09 PM
    No heat when temp drops
    20 year old gas forced hot air furnace pilotless located in utility room off master bedroom.works great until temp outside drops to 20 or below.can hear unit trying to fire through a series of clicks and clunks but no fire.after 5 attempts to ignite fan starts and runs continuously.I'm guessing the pilot system gets too cold to light. Any suggestions? Found more info as requested. Built in 1983 cdc60 1.5 bip. 60,000 BTU natural gas.made by dornbach furance & foundry.pilot system is honeywell intermittent pilot 100 percent shutoff. Also,when furnace failed to light last night,I used a small electric space heater to warm burner area for ten minutes or so then repowered furnace. Unit fired up normally and gave good heat.?
    hvac1000 Posts: 14,540, Reputation: 435
    Heating & Air Conditioning Expert

Dec 11, 2007, 10:57 PM
    Brand and model number of furnace?
    Is this LP or natural gas?
    kanrdc Posts: 12, Reputation: 1

Dec 15, 2007, 03:37 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by luap35
    20 year old gas forced hot air furnace pilotless located in utility room off master bedroom.works great until temp outside drops to 20 or below.can hear unit trying to fire through a series of clicks and clunks but no fire.after 5 attempts to ignite fan starts and runs continously.i'm guessing the pilot system gets too cold to light. any suggestions? found more info as requested. built in 1983 cdc60 1.5 bip. 60,000 btu natural gas.made by dornbach furance & foundry.pilot system is honeywell intermittent pilot 100 percent shutoff. Also,when furnace failed to light last night,I used a small electric space heater to warm burner area for ten minutes or so then repowered furnace. Unit fired up normally and gave good heat. ??
    Very carefully try to clean out the pilot assembly. You may have built up some spent carbon all along the surface to the pilot oriface. Take some steel wool or sand paper to the spark rod and pilot housing. Also check that your ground wire coming from the pilot assemble has a good connection. You may also be condensating a bit of moisture. You may not have heated everything up to start but just made it nice and dry. Good Luck

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

No heat/erratic temp gauge [ 10 Answers ]

I own a '97 Chevy Monte Carlo. I'll try to make this as brief as I can. About two weeks ago I noticed that my warning light for high temp was lit. I was shocked because I had only been in the car 10 minutes. But then it started to go down. Then it was kind of floating up and down. Also, I...

I set the temp, heat kicks on for 30 seconds, then shuts off [ 5 Answers ]

I know next to zilch when it comes to my heating and air system, so that's why I'm kind of led to believe this may be something simple. We have natural gas heat for our home. Lately, it's been a little cooler in the day so I've set the thermostat for about 73 degrees and switched the system over...

Furnace not kicking on when temp drops below thermostat set temp [ 1 Answers ]

I've got a Beckett oil heat water on demand furnace that heats through baseboards. Since this past weekend the furnace hasn't been kicking on when the temperature drops below my set temp of 68 degrees. I have to go down to the furnace and simply touch the top of the reset box for it to kick on. ...

Running 2 heat systems depending on outside temp [ 2 Answers ]

I have a Train heat pump and a Lenox hot water heat in our home. The heat pump works well above 40 degrees but I keep having to manually switch back and forth from one to the other. Is there a way to do this automatically?

View more questions Search