Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    newgirl77 Posts: 31, Reputation: 2

Dec 10, 2007, 02:16 PM
    The nurse keeps lying to me
    I'm not quite sure if this is the right forum for this question, so I'm sorry if it isn't.

One month ago I went to a free clinic for the uninsured (in the USA). The nurse felt my breast lump and told me that she didn't think it was cancer, but then said "if it is, it's advanced because your lump is where the lymph nodes are". I felt it was unprofessional of her to tell me that without proof of there being cancer (like a biopsy).
    She refused to give me a referral to the hospital for a mammogram. We have, in our area, a nonprofit who has mammo equipment in a truck. They travel around providing free mammograms to uninsured women.

LIE #1 The nurse at the clinic told me that this organization wouldn't see me without a referral. I called the organization and they don't require referrals, only recommend them due to the large number of interested people.

LIE #2 She said that they do diagnostic mammograms. The nonprofit said they only do screening mammos.

LIE #3 She said that the nonprofit was in the area only on 2 days in December. I found out (from another person at the same clinic) that the nonprofit has been in the area every week for the last month
    She had me down for a mammo last week with this "moveable mammo" group. They cancelled due to bad weather, totally understandable. This brings us to

LIE #4 The nurse said they wouldn't do mammos again until February. The clinic told me there are mammos next week and the week after Christmas and a whole slew of dates in January.

LIE # 5 The nurse told me the hospital wouldn't do a mammogram and ultrasound on me unless I had insurance. I talked to the hospital and they set me up for both FREE tests. I applied for financial aid from them, and all is covered except my $100 doctor's office fee.

LIE #6 The nurse told me that the clinic couldn't refer people to the local hospital, but one an hour away. The supervisor at the clinic told me that that is absolutely not the case. They refer people to the local hospital all the time

LIE # 7 The nurse told me that Planned Parenthood does not allow you to make payments or have "income based sliding scale billing". They do. I was about to go to them for the mammo, but was able to get it set up though the hospital instead. I'm pro life so I didn't want to go to them if I didn't have to. But the nurse still told me a lie.

LIE # 8 She told me that anytime there is a lump close to the armpit area, the lump is 99% sure to be a cancerous lymph node. I've talked to 2 other doctors since then, and they said that is baloney. They said it CAN be cancer but also tons of other things and that the nurse was very unprofessional to tell me that.

LIE # 9. I used to smoke, have quit thank God. She told me that cigarettes cause breast cancer and that I "had asked for it" by smoking. From what I have read, they have never established a direct link between smoking and breast cancer, although cancer rates of all kinds are slightly higher in women who smoke. I don't know how she can say that my lump is due to smoking. Not to mention the fact that it moves, is squishy, small, and I'm 23, all good reasons that the lump might be benign. Now, I know that cancer doesn't fit in the box, and in spite of all these things it might still be. So, I'm doing all the tests, and all. But, she should never have told me that it was most likely cancer before I even had a mammo done!

Is there anyone I can complain to about this person? I spoke to her supervisor who told me "That doesn't sound like something she would say" and preceded to tell me that beggars can't be choosers and that if I wanted nicer health care people I had to pay for it. I had already figured that out! I can't believe she didn't even say sorry or anything. I know several other women who have dealt with this same woman. One of my friends had a strange symptom once. The same nurse told her its "probably an STD, with the way you kids screw everything that walks". My friend and her husband were both virgins until their wedding night. Also, she found out later from another doctor that it was an ingrown hair. What can I do about this crazy nurse? The clinic keeps getting complaints and won't do anything! C
    450donn Posts: 1,821, Reputation: 239
    Ultra Member

Dec 10, 2007, 02:29 PM
    Hi newgirl77,
    Sorry for all of your problems. But it seems that people that have to deal with the public a lot get jaded really fast. Not right, but it seems to happen a lot. Do you know where this clinic gets it's funding? That may be the only place to get satisfaction with an uncaring person. I know how scary a brest lump can be and for a person to act this unprofessional is simply not acceptable.
    shygrneyzs Posts: 5,017, Reputation: 936
    Uber Member

Dec 10, 2007, 02:35 PM
    I would want to hear the nurses side of the situation. Who you complain to? The Board of Directors of this clinic you went to. Your state's Board of Nursing would handle complaints and investigate allegations such as yours.

Dec 10, 2007, 02:39 PM
    I asked to speak to the supervisor at the clinic. The person that I spoke to is a doctor, I'm really not sure if she was totally in charge or not. The clinic was so unorganized. I do know where they get their funding. I think the nurse was angry because she did an exam for 10 minutes and couldn't find my lump. She told me that I was "hallucinating". I very politely asked her to feel again and put her finger right on the lump, which she then felt. She said "Well, there is something there after all" and got all red faced. I think she was upset she couldn't find the lump at first.

Dec 10, 2007, 02:44 PM
    Also, I should add that this lady has worked at the clinic for a long time and I think she is just kind of jaded by dealing with folks so much. I can understand it, I just wish she had been a little more informed as to what she told me. I don't think she meant to deliberately mislead me about the nonprofit, I think she was just misinformed. But, still, everyone else at the clinic knew what was going on except for her. The person I spoke to about the nurse had me confused with this girl who was trying to get free drugs from the clinic at first because we have the same first name. I think that was why she was so rude at first, but when she realized I was someone else, I think she should have apologized.
    shygrneyzs Posts: 5,017, Reputation: 936
    Uber Member

Dec 10, 2007, 02:53 PM
    Then you can take your concerns to your state's Board of Nursing. Believe me, they take concerns like yours very seriously and they will investigate this. I once worked with a male CNA who had an allegation of abuse against him (proved to be unfounded) but his license was pulled and he was not allowed to work until the investigation cleared him.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Dec 10, 2007, 04:10 PM
    I can only jump in here real quick... I'll provide more info later...

But I agree with Shy, she should be reported to the State Board of Nursing... If you PM me with your state, I will try to get you the info that you can use to report her.
    Ren Radio Posts: 31, Reputation: 6

Dec 10, 2007, 08:25 PM
    Additionally, if you are on any sort of federally funded medical program, you can file descrimination charges based on your ability to pay. Nothing prompts an investigation more quickly.

Dec 12, 2007, 01:16 PM
    I think I will report her. It sucks because this is the only free clinic for people in my county, so if I report her, the clinic will probably treat me like crap. But, I can always go to a place with sliding scale fees. I just don't want other people to have to deal with what I did.
    Expert

Dec 12, 2007, 01:22 PM
    You can report her anonymously hun.

Dec 12, 2007, 01:30 PM
    Awesome! I will definatelly do that then. I didn't know she couldn't find out my name.

Dec 12, 2007, 01:31 PM
    There are also anti retaliation laws in place to insure you are not treated badly for reporting. If she is doing this to other people, you are justified and even morally obligated to file a report and follow through. What happens when an unwed mother with a sick baby comes through, and she does something to harm the child? Don't take no for an answer. Tell and KEEP TELLING until you find someone willing to listen.

When you take a stand against something like this, you don't do it for yourself. You do it for everyone affected.

Good for you. Keep detailed notes of everything while it's still fresh in your mind, and go get this woman away from the people she is abusing.
    faye_arv Posts: 12, Reputation: 3

Dec 14, 2007, 07:52 AM
    Please keep us posted as to what the lump is! And PLEASE have an ultrasound!! When I felt a lump I had a mammogram but because of my young age 32 it didn't show up. It only showed up on the ultrasound. My lump was different it was above the dark area of the breast. Mine was cancer. I had to have a biopsy done. PM me whenever you want so we can talk :-)

Dec 14, 2007, 12:36 PM
    I just got my ultrasound results back today, actually! I seem to be OK, posted more about it in the women's health forum. I have reported the nurse, had to go back to the clinic today, asked for a different one, and they said no problem. So, things seem to be going well.
    Expert

Dec 14, 2007, 12:38 PM
    Good for you!! Glad to hear things are looking up for you. Will go check out that other thread now.
    faye_arv Posts: 12, Reputation: 3

Dec 14, 2007, 05:10 PM
    Way to Go! Congrats! :-)

Dec 16, 2007, 02:47 PM
    Glad you got good news on it. Don't let it stop you from stopping this person!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

3 mo old still trying to nurse [ 4 Answers ]

Hello, I am hoping that somebody can help me. I recently rescued a 2 month old kitten from the pound. I don’t know if he was orphaned, or how long he spent with his mom (but he did have brothers at the pound). He tries to nurse on me (my arm, neck, back), and he tries to nurse from a really...

How to become a nurse practitioner [ 4 Answers ]

I've been back and forth lately about what I want to do with my life. I'm considering switching my major to nursing, but I only want to do nursing if I am able to continue to be a nurse practitoner. My question is.. how do you go about becoming a nurse practitioner? What does it involve and how...

An ob nurse [ 13 Answers ]

Hi everyone I have a questuin I want to be an ob nurse watching csections and stuff doesn't really bother me but I was wonfering do you have to actually preform any part of the csection or do you just hand the doc whatever they need? And this might sound weird but I seen a lot of c section videos...

Negligent Nurse [ 2 Answers ]

I recently called my physician's office and asked that my prescriptions be renewed. My phsycian's nurse called my pharmacy and renewed my medications for three months. My pharmacy emailed me and I picked up a month's supply of my medications. Two days after I had picked up my meds I was in the...

What does a Student Nurse do? [ 8 Answers ]

What does a Student Nurse do?

View more questions Search