Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    cataraft Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Dec 9, 2007, 08:15 PM
    Plastic to cast iron
    I am installing a sewage pump in my basement that requires a 2" plastic pipe fitted to a 4" cast iron hub. The 4"hub has a female threaded cleanout fitting in it and it is fitted with lead and oakum. The cleanout plug is made of copper and measures 3-7/8" across OD, which nothing else seems to fit. I want to use a neoprene gasket in the hub and simply go to a 4" to 2" abs reducer. What is the best way to remove the threaded female fitting and clean out the hub and prep for the neoprene gasket? That is-- what is the best way to disassemble a lead and oakum cast iron fitting and reinstall a neoprene gasket to plastic?
    doug238 Posts: 1,560, Reputation: 62
    Ultra Member

Dec 11, 2007, 07:54 AM
    The best thing is to get a pvc threaded adapter and clean the threads and screw it in.

Dec 12, 2007, 05:48 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by doug238
    the best thing is to get a pvc threaded adapter and clean the threads and screw it in.
    That's exactly what I would like to do, but it is a 4" pipe with inside threads that measure 3-7/8" and I can not find an adaptor to fit it. All 4" pipe fittings that I find are made so the male end threads into a female hub and actually measure 4-3/8". Do you know if they make a platic adaptor that has female threads that fit inside of a hubless 4" cast iron pipe? If so, where can I find one? Thanks for your help
    iamgrowler Posts: 1,421, Reputation: 110
    Ultra Member

Dec 12, 2007, 06:14 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by cataraft
    That's exactly what I would like to do, but it is a 4" pipe with inside threads that measure 3-7/8" and I can not find an adaptor to fit it. all 4" pipe fittings that I find are made so the male end threads into a female hub and actually measure 4-3/8". Do you know if they make a platic adaptor that has female threads that fit inside of a hubless 4" cast iron pipe? If so, where can I find one? Thanks for your help
    If that's the case, you are going to have to remove the entire clean out from the 4" hub.

Here's what you do:

Using a 5/16" drill bit and drill motor, drill out the lead and oakum from just over half of the circumference -- Space the holes as closely together as you can.

A word of caution -- There will be a lip on the clean out adapter at the bottom of the hub, when you hit this, one of two things is going to happen; The drill bit will snap in two, or the drill will swing to your right very abruptly, and likely as not, there will be something sharp and painful in the way when this happens.

Pry the lead and oakum out of the half you drilled out, and then tap the clean out towards the void you've created, this will make peeling the lead and oakum out of the un drilled out side much easier.

After that, its just a simple matter of installing a 4x2 rubber Tye Seal.

Good luck.

Dec 13, 2007, 07:07 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by iamgrowler
    If that's the case, you are going to have to remove the entire clean out from the 4" hub.

Here's what you do:

Using a 5/16" drill bit and drill motor, drill out the lead and oakum from just over half of the circumference -- Space the holes as closely together as you can.

A word of caution -- There will be a lip on the clean out adapter at the bottom of the hub, when you hit this, one of two things is going to happen; The drill bit will snap in two, or the drill will swing to your right very abruptly, and likely as not, there will be something sharp and painful in the way when this happens.

Pry the lead and oakum out of the half you drilled out, and then tap the clean out towards the void you've created, this will make peeling the lead and oakum out of the un drilled out side much easier.

After that, its just a simple matter of installing a 4x2 rubber Tye Seal.

Good luck.
    Thanks for your help, that sounds like the way to go. Am I right in assuming that a 4x2 tye seal will allow me install 2" pipe directly into the 4" hub? If so that would be ideal because space is tight and fewer fittings would be better coming out. I need to turn 90 as soon as possible and would like to install a street elbow directly into the hub. Do you know where I can find a Tye Seal online? I have never seen anything like this at any of the local plumbing supply stores here?
    chile175 Posts: 1, Reputation: 0

Dec 14, 2007, 08:25 AM
    The best thing you can do is just cut the whole c/o out. Then you can put a 4" ABS or PVC c/o in and go from there. You will have to go rent a sawzall from TATES, or who ever. Make sure you get the right blades to cut it, otherwise you will be there all day, and you might burn out the sawzall. Then you atttach the new c/o with FURNCO couplings (rubber) and tighten down with a tourque wrench. There is your starting point

Dec 14, 2007, 06:16 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by chile175
    the best thing you can do is just cut the whole c/o out. then you can put a 4" ABS or PVC c/o in and go from there. you will have to go rent a sawzall from TATES, or who ever. Make sure you get the right blades to cut it, otherwise you will be there all day, and you might burn out the sawzall. then you atttach the new c/o with FURNCO couplings (rubber) and tighten down with a tourque wrench. There is your starting point
    This won't work. 4" pipe only protrudes 1/4- 3/8 past lead in hub and a furnco band will only just barley grab it as is (less than half the pipe clamp is actually on the pipe). Remember this fitting is from a sewage pump and will be under pressure. I neep help finding the gaskets to install inside the hub to connect a new pipe. Even just an actuall manufacturer would help so I could have someone order one for me. Thanks.
    iamgrowler Posts: 1,421, Reputation: 110
    Ultra Member

Dec 14, 2007, 06:39 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by cataraft
    This won't work. 4" pipe only protrudes 1/4- 3/8 past lead in hub and a furnco band will only just barley grab it as is (less than half the pipe clamp is actually on the pipe). Remember this fitting is from a sewage pump and will be under pressure. I neep help finding the gaskets to install inside the hub to connect a new pipe. Even just an actuall manufacturer would help so I could have someone order one for me. Thanks.
    Sorry for not getting back to you.

The 4x2 Tye Seal can be purchased at a Fergusons (they're nationwide, pretty much) or just about any Plumbing supply house.
    doug238 Posts: 1,560, Reputation: 62
    Ultra Member

Dec 14, 2007, 06:43 PM
    If you are unable or unwilling to do what growler said, there is another option. Not nearly as pretty and professional as growler's but will work. Use a 5" clay x 3" pvc fernco. Clamp the 5" part over the 4" cast iron hub and using a 2" pipe long enough to protrude inside the cleanout, glue your 2" elbow on and clamp the 3" side directly on the 2" hub. I don't know if it actually will fit the 3" side but brainstorming here and I hope I did not 'rain out'. But you get the general idea of where this is headed.
    I still think growler's idea was best if you can do it.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Cast iron waste [ 1 Answers ]

Removing toilet from cast iron waste

Oakum and Plastic or Lead with Cast Iron [ 1 Answers ]

Has anyone used plastic filler with Oakum in cast iron joints? I would like to know your opinion on using plastic, and if you like it, what name or brand have you used? Thank you. J

Cast drain to plastic [ 3 Answers ]

Replacing a 4" cast piping with a plastic. What size of plastic can be used?

Cast iron [ 2 Answers ]

Hi folks, What is the best way to repair a leaking tub drain that connects to cast iron main drain? Thank you, Jen

Connecting 4" plastic to cast [ 4 Answers ]

I am installing a toilet in my basement. I have a 4" cast pipe that is flush with the floor (Plug in it,no bell). I am installing a back outlet toilet and piping it over to the the 4" cast pipe. What do I need to connect the ABS to the cast pipe.

View more questions Search