Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    babyeyes Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 7, 2007, 10:40 PM
    p-trap bathroom sink
    I have just installed a new counter top/undermount sink, with new faucet fixtures. My problem is that the exsiting pipes are too high up to the sink to accommodate the new flange and is out to far by about 1 1/2 inches, how do I fix this? Thanks
    Flying Blue Eagle Posts: 2,056, Reputation: 225
    Ultra Member

Dec 7, 2007, 11:27 PM
    Babyeyes - You must have a meteal drain pipe::: go to Lowe's, or home depot , Plumbing dept, take a piece of your old drain pipe so that you get the right size, GET A vainty drain set in (PLLASTIC) , that way you can cut to fit,and hook up tvhe drain, reason I told you to take a piece of old with you is because there are different sizes. You will need a fine tooth hacksaw to cut the plastic with. Just be careful when you do the cutting,and cut yourself. I hope this helps you ,Good luck ,GOD BLESS :::: F.B.E.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Dec 8, 2007, 06:11 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by babyeyes
    I have just installed a new counter top/undermount sink, with new faucet fixtures. My problem is that the exsiting pipes are too high up to the sink to accomodate the new flange and is out to far by about 1 1/2 inches, how do I fix this? thanks
    Is this a vessel sink?
    Most lavatorys rough in with 1 1/4" pipe 18" above the floor. If the top of the trap is to high for the trap raiser to connect to the lavatorys tailpiece you have only two options. Return the lavatory and pick up one that's not as deep **or** ( and this one's a killer) remove the cabinet, open up the wall, cut out the sanitary tee and stubout from the stack and lower it. If the supplies are too high they miust be lowered also. There is one other option. You can gain some elevation if you follow FBEs advice and pick up a new lavatory drain. But not the pop-up type that you would normally install. Instead ask for a stoipper type drain that uses a rubber plug. That might just give you enough space to install the trap after you cut it back. Good luck, Tom,

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

New bathroom sink backs up halfway, quickly drains, repeat.. no overflow in this sink [ 2 Answers ]

I just very proudly finished installing our new second floor bathroom sink drains. Two different vanities, two different walls. I ran the water steadily in both of them for 10 minutes. One works fine. The other backs up about halfway up the bowl, then suddenly quickly drains everything and...

Fog horn noise when using taps in bathroom sink and kitchen sink [ 1 Answers ]

There has developed, in the last week, a "fog horn" sound when we turn on the hot or cold taps in the bathroom or kitchen. It does not occur when we use the washer or dishwasher. Could anyone give some advise on what could be the cause of this?

Bathroom sink p trap [ 2 Answers ]

I am looking for someone to tell me how to put together a p-trap with a air breather on it under my bathroom sink.

P-trap GAP - p-trap too low to meet sink drain extension [ 13 Answers ]

I just took an old crane drexel sink off the wall and replaced it for the time being ( I want to fix the older sink) with a cheap vanity/sink set. All that was easy enough, but now to my chagrin I can't finish the job. The p trap is too low, the extension pipe from the sink doesn't go all...

Bathroom sink drain trap [ 1 Answers ]

I've installed a new bathroom vanity. The drain line, which comes through the floor, not the wall, is in the exact center of the vanity; the drain from the sink is likewise centered. How do I install a trap given the two pipe are centered exactly above one another and are not offset? Do I even...

View more questions Search