Ask
    Goldenwolf Posts: 157, Reputation: 9

Dec 4, 2007, 06:06 PM
    Speed of sound
    How do I find the aprox. Speed of sound with 133m/0.37secs?:confused:
    Help me
    Duane in Japan Posts: 282, Reputation: 8

Dec 4, 2007, 06:26 PM
    As you have stated, Speed = Distance / Time. Since you are dealing with the metric system, how many times (x) does 133m goes into ONE KM. 1000m / 133m =? Multiply ? X Time, this will give the speed of sound per Km in seconds.

You can figure out how many Km in one whole second from this, you can figure out how many Km per hour from this.

I am not exact but think of thunder, I think the sound is about 4 seconds per mile, 1 second per 1/4 mile. This is only a guide, not exact.

1/4 mile is 2.5 tenths of a mile, 1 Km is 6 tenths of a mile, 6 / 2.5 = ? Seconds per Km for the speed of sound.

Dec 4, 2007, 06:46 PM
    I still don't get it
    I need to find: distanc meters/time seconds
    I just started the topic and I didn't understand it. I don't understand the equation thing and my teacher is so mad about that

Dec 4, 2007, 06:49 PM
    I know its kind of 330m/sec but I don't know the way to prove it, can someone help me just a bit?
    Duane in Japan Posts: 282, Reputation: 8

Dec 6, 2007, 02:20 AM
    Its not 133m per second, its 133m/0.37secs, that 133m per (about) 1/3 of a second, that's approx 400m per second. 1600m per 4 seconds or approx 4 seconds per mile, like when you see lightning, count the seconds and one mile is about 4 seconds, again all this is approx, not exact.

I think with the original equation of 133m/0.37sec, your instructor wants to know what speed is this in KPH, kilometers per hour. As an example, the speed of sound is about 700 MPH, depending on temp and baro and other things.

60 seconds divided by 0.37sec =? Multiply ? X 133m. Does this look like its about 700 MPH but in KPH.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

No sound while watching television.sound when playing video games [ 4 Answers ]

I have no Idea what the problem could be, but if I try to watch television, which is cable, I cannot hear the sound on the television, but If I play video games, then you can hear the sound perfectly... So, it cannot be a problem with the speakers inside the television.. Could it be the cable? What...

Missing sound, can't hear cd or sound play at all? [ 5 Answers ]

Hi there, I have a Compaq, win xp, this afternoon and I had sound and everything was OK? But I think while working on the computer I accidentally erased the driver that helps allow sound to come from the comp, I can't seem to find site to download the driver? Please help, I can hear it beep...

High-speed Cable/low Speed Operation [ 1 Answers ]

I had Time Warner Cable(TWC) Road Runner service(high-speed cable) installed recently on my Panasonic CF-47 Laptop. It turns out that it operates two times SLOWER than Dial-Up!! I have a W98 O/S. The High-speed cable into the computer measures normal(as measured by a super-tech with TWC). After he...

3 speed ceiling fan only has 1 speed [ 3 Answers ]

I have a 3 speed Hunter ceiling that I rarely turn off and all 3 speeds had been working. I recently turned it off and when I turned it back on, only the high speed is working. I assumed the switch was bad and replaced it. I still only have the High speed. Has anyone had this problem before? ...

No sound, asus mother board built in sound card [ 16 Answers ]

My comp plays no sounds. All drivers are installed and I have re installed them 2. Its well annoyin. Any help with this would be great. Thanks

View more questions Search