Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Nervous Girl Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 3, 2007, 02:51 AM
    How to tell our family and friends we are getting married in two months.
    Even though we are engaged now, we are waiting until his 20th birthday, *october 30th* to tell our family and friends of our engagement. We have the date set as December 26th, 2008. Which is two months after we break news of our engagement. How do we tell our family and friends that we are getting married? How I do break news to my parents who live clear across the country? Telling his parents will be easy enough seeing as I have already gained acceptance with his mother. So please help me come up with ideas to break news to the family and friends.
    NowWhat Posts: 1,634, Reputation: 264
    Ultra Member

Dec 3, 2007, 06:00 PM
    I am so confused. Your time line is off.
    You are waiting until October of 2008 to tell your parents that you are getting married in a little over a year?
    Like I said, I am confused.
    If what you are saying is correct as far as the time, why not tell them now?
    LearningAsIGo Posts: 2,653, Reputation: 350
    Survivor

Dec 4, 2007, 12:05 PM
    I'm not sure why you're waiting 10+ months to tell them you're getting married in 12+ months? Are you underage?

I admit- I waited 9 months to tell my grandmother I was engaged because I knew she never wanted any of her grandchildren to marry. I wish I would have just said something sooner because its nothing to be ashamed of.
    sd1025 Posts: 98, Reputation: 11

Jan 29, 2008, 03:11 PM
    I didn't know how to tell my family either, I actually told my bartender friend before my brother, but I made him tell the rest of the family, I also only gave my family about 2 months notice, to cut down on relatives showing up and all the good meant interfearing, just blurt it out over the phone, its not as bad as you think, if your not asking for there help planning the wedding then 2 months notice is plenty but if you expect them to help pay or help in any other way you HAVE to tell them sooner.
    lacuran8626 Posts: 270, Reputation: 57

Feb 5, 2008, 09:32 PM
    I don't understand why you are waiting to tell them, either. If you are young and spring it on them in October, they will feel you are rushing because... I mean, 8 weeks? That's not even enough time to plan anything and if they are not local, it's not much warning to get time off work or to make travel arrangements.

My other concern is it sounds like the family is not supportive of the wedding idea? Only half the family accepts you being together? That's the issue, not how to announce the wedding.

As for how to do it, how about, "Mom, Dad, we hope you'll be pleased to hear that we have wonderful news to share. We are engaged to be married!"

If it won't be wonderful news as far as they are concerned, I would work on the issues that are precluding the acceptance and get that squared away before setting a wedding date.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

2 months married.advice needed. [ 20 Answers ]

Hi everyone, Need help or a good advice! I appologise about the length of the story, but I feel full story needs to be told to get a clear picture. Here it is. Met my wife of 2 months about 4 years ago. Felt perfect, and after a couple of months I felt like she was the one. A year and a bit...

Can I be friends with my married ex? [ 19 Answers ]

I am still in love with my first love who has now been married for 2 years to his wife. He has admitted he still has strong feelings for me and has been open with his wife about it so they can discuss it and work through it. He is 8 years older than me (Im 22 now) and was very keen to get...

Scared to see my own family and friends [ 3 Answers ]

My issue has been bothering me for about 6-7 years. It all started when I became addicted to the computer. An old friend of mine taught me a lot about the computer so from there I became addicted and dedicated all my time to it. I had little friends and I was only social in school. On a family get...

My Husband trust me and my friends and Family don't [ 1 Answers ]

I want to start my stating that my husband and I have been married for 3 years, and we have no major problems, yes the occasional argument, but nothing big. In the last 2 months I got a new coworker who is the same age as myhusband and I and we all three of us have been hanging out a lot on...

View more questions Search