Ask
    sbinns2 Posts: 12, Reputation: 1

Dec 2, 2007, 10:35 AM
    Ac compressor
    Fan on ac compressor will not stop running until turning off the braeker
    wmproop Posts: 3,749, Reputation: 91
    Ultra Member

Dec 2, 2007, 02:25 PM
    Check the contactor, if it a double pole maybe one side in not opening up when the thermostat is satisfied and the low voltage power is kicked down,, Ive seen ants and other little buggy animals get into a contactor and make it do funny things,
    Ultra Member

Dec 2, 2007, 02:25 PM
    Check the contactor, if it a double pole maybe one side in not opening up when the thermostat is satisfied and the low voltage power is kicked down,, Ive seen ants and other little buggy animals get into a contactor and make it do funny things,

Dec 2, 2007, 04:10 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by sbinns2
    fan on ac compressor will not stop running until turning off the braeker
    When you refer to contactor, are you meaning in the compressor or the t'stat?

Dec 2, 2007, 04:12 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by wmproop
    check the contactor,,if it a double pole maybe one side in not opening up when the thermostat is satisfied and the low voltage power is kicked down,,,Ive seen ants and other little buggy animals get into a contactor and make it do funny things,,
    Are you referring to a contactor in the compressor or the t'stat?
    Ultra Member

Dec 2, 2007, 07:14 PM
    Follow the main power wire that is taking 220 volts to you a/c unit,those wires connect to contactor behind the cover on you outside unit,alco the smaller thermostat wire connect to the same part ( contactor),, be careful it has 220 volts going in,, this sometime sticks in and sends power to fan motor, where you live that you still needing the a/c, its cold in my part of country
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Dec 2, 2007, 10:22 PM
    Is it just the fan or is it the compressor too? Possibly the contactor is sticking powering both, but the compressor is being shut off by the high pressure switch. Kill the breaker and it is safe to replace the contactor yourself. Just carefully mark all the wires before you remove them. Then put them back on the same way.

Since A/C feeds seldom have a neutral, there isn't going to be anything running on one side of a 2 pole contactor.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

A/C compressor [ 3 Answers ]

Hello I have a 1996 Dodge Ram 1500 with the 5.9l engine. I noticed today that there was something clicking on/off several times while the engine was running. I popped the hood and found it was the A/C compressor cycling on/off for some unknown reason. I had the defrost on and the temp. control on...

AC Compressor [ 2 Answers ]

The AC unit in my house is 25 years old, and it's not big enough for the size of our house, it is also not very energy efficient. We have a home warranty that we got when we bought our house and it’s due to expire in a couple of months. Is there something we can do to “break” the compressor so the...

Compressor [ 1 Answers ]

If air compressor is froze or locked up will it always throw a breaker or a relay

Compressor [ 2 Answers ]

Hey we were out of town then came back and the ac breaker was tripped after turning on the fans run but the compressoe never kicks in we never had any problems with this unit before can some one give us some ideas were to start thanks:D

View more questions Search