Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    powrus Posts: 29, Reputation: 3

Dec 2, 2007, 02:32 AM
    Kitchen Sink Drain Line
    The sink drains down into a P-Trap and then enters a 1 1/2 inch PVC horizontal drain line that runs into the wall. Due to some blockage issues in the immediate area under the sink I'd like to run that horizontal drain line 3 feet before turning downward. Would this be workable?

Also, if this is workable, does the 3 foot horizontal run remain level or should it be biased before turning downward?

Thanks.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Dec 2, 2007, 05:43 AM
    I don't doubt that you have blockage issues if you're configured they way you describe. On a typical kitchen sink hook up the horizontal line inside the wall terminates at a sanitary tee and a vertical vent stack. You have described a unvented "S" trap. Your question's confusing to me. Exactly what horizontal are you talking about and All drainage lines must have slope and none of them remain level. Waiting for your reply. Regards, Tom

Dec 2, 2007, 06:04 AM
    Hi Tom -

Thanks for your reply. The P-Trap is directly below the sink. As the waste water exits the P-Trap it flows a few inches directly to the wall where it connects to an in-the-wall drain point. This in-the-wall drain point is a 3 foot horizontal run and is still part of what I believe to be part of the Trap Arm. It is my understanding that the Trap Arm must be at least 8 inches in length to avoid my P-Trap from taking on the characteristics of an S-Trap. This Trap Arm runs horizontal for 3 feet before it meets a sanitary Tee. This sanitary Tee is the downward drain/ upward vent point and [again] is located approx 3 foot from the under-the-sink P-Trap.

Thanks again.

Roger
    Eternal Plumber

Dec 2, 2007, 06:32 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by powrus
    Hi Tom -

Thanks for your reply. The P-Trap is directly below the sink. As the waste water exits the P-Trap it flows a few inches directly to the wall where it connects to an in-the-wall drain point. This in-the-wall drain point is a 3 foot horizontal run. It runs horizontal for 3 feet before it meets a sanitary Tee. This sanitary Tee is the downward drain/ upward vent point.

Roger
    And you would like to do what with it? You cleared up the confusion about a "S" trap. Your si8nk is vented. I still want to know what you wish to do with the horizontal line. Do you wish to run it outside the wall? Do you just wish to replace it inside the wall? What?? Regards, Tom

Dec 2, 2007, 07:19 AM
    Hi Tom -

My basic questions are: (1) How long can a Trap Arm be?
    (2) Does a Trap Arm need to be slanted toward the Sanitary Tee?

Thanks,
    Roger
    Eternal Plumber

Dec 2, 2007, 07:29 AM
    My basic questions are: (1) How long can a Trap Arm be?
    Code calls for not over 5 feet on a 2" drain from trap to the vent and 3 1/2 feet on a 1 1/2" drain line.
    (2) Does a Trap Arm need to be slanted toward the Sanitary Tee?
    You bet your boots it does. For every foot of trap arm from the trap to the vent you want to drop 1/4" . All drainage MUST have slope from the fixture that's draining to the location it's draining to. Regards, Tom

Dec 2, 2007, 08:37 AM
    Tom -

Thanks for your input. That's the info we needed. We live in a remote area in a County with no building codes but we want to build things according to proven standards.

Roger

Dec 3, 2007, 02:39 PM
    Speedball1 -

I've finished the stub-out and the 24 inch Trap Arm, dropping the Arm a total of 1/2 inch before it connects to my sanitary Tee as you advised.

Next up will be my hot/cold water supplies under the sink. I plan to install the shut-off valves approx 15 inches from the floor and hope to avoid the usual interference with the spray hose and supply hoses. For the hot water valve, I'm going with a 2-headed version in order to accommodate both the sink supply and the dishwasher from the same line.

Having just found this forum, I didn't read your "sticky" at the start of the conversation list until today. You do a great job responding to a TON of plumbing questions and you were very helpful with your info pertaining to my kitchen sink drain dilemma. Best of luck with your personal ongoing battle. It's obvious your positive mind-set will be the best Rx available. Keep up the good work and know that you have many readers praying for your very best outcome.

Roger in Indiana
    Eternal Plumber

Dec 4, 2007, 06:37 AM
    Next up will be my hot/cold water supplies under the sink. I plan to install the shut-off valves approx 15 inches from the floor and hope to avoid the usual interference with the spray hose and supply hoses. For the hot water valve, I'm going with a 2-headed version in order to accommodate both the sink supply and the dishwasher from the same line.
    The supplies can be placed any where you choose. You can pick up 1/2 X 3/8 X 1/4" compression angle stop ,(see image)at any plumbing store.
    Having just found this forum, I didn't read your "sticky" at the start of the conversation list until today. You do a great job responding to a TON of plumbing questions and you were very helpful with your info pertaining to my kitchen sink drain dilemma. Best of luck with your personal ongoing battle. It's obvious your positive mind-set will be the best Rx available. Keep up the good work and know that you have many readers praying for your very best outcome.
    thanks for those kind words. I beat my cancer at at 80 am still alive and kicking. Thanks again, Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Move kitchen drain line [ 5 Answers ]

Hi, I'm in the process of finishing my basement and I have a plumbing question. As you can see in the attached image we have a drain for our kitchen sink and dishwasher in an island cabinet in the above floor draining to a 3" pipe in the middle of the basement. I'd like to reroute this to an...

Kitchen Drain line leaking? [ 2 Answers ]

I started getting water coming up on my kitchenfloor I had a plumber come out and he said it was a drain line behind my wall.. and it would cost a couple thousnad to fix... also said I might need a new subfloor for my kitchenfloor... has anyone had this problem if so how muhc did it cost you... and...

Kitchen Sink/Laundry Sink Drain Vent Non-exist [ 3 Answers ]

The set-up from kitchen sink leading down to drain to basement: 1. Kitchen sink - (R side) - connected to a P drain I think you call it -PVC-, connected to a "metal" T, which has a Studer vent gizmo attached to the top of it, then draining into a metal pipe straight down to the drain in the...

Kitchen Sink Won't Drain [ 11 Answers ]

I have a 1400 Sq Ft. House, on a Slab. Built in the late 1950's. We just recently had a problem occur on Dec. 22nd, my wife called me at work and said the main bathroom toilet just flooded from underneath the stool. She was just in there cleaning the bathroom. Then went and started a load of...

Air in kitchen sink line - occasional hammering [ 3 Answers ]

I am helping someone with this problem and have only had it described to me, along with a layout of the house. A one story, concrete slab house, five years old is experiencing the problem. Infrequently when the kitchen faucet is turned on there is air discharge and hammering from both the cold...

View more questions Search