Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    smartwismer Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 29, 2007, 03:38 PM
    Selling small claims amount that was awarded
    I won a small claims case and I am wondering is there some way to sell the amount to a third party because the person would take 3 years to pay the amount at the amount the judge allowed.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Nov 30, 2007, 09:11 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by smartwismer
    I won a small claims case and I am wondering is there some way to sell the amount to a third party because the person would take 3 years to pay the amount at the amount the judge allowed.

I would guess - and this is purely a guess - you cannot. The third person would be unable to collect the Judgment, not having legal standing. I suppose you could do some sort of "side pocket" deal where the third person gives you the money upfront and you collect on the Judgment and hand the third person the money as it comes in but I have some concerns about the legality of that arrangement.

Small Claims Clerk would be able to tell you - I say, no, it's not possible.

Interesting question -
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Dec 1, 2007, 08:53 AM
    Hello smart:

Debts are bought and sold all the time. Since this is a JUDGMENT, you may have to sell an "assignment of judgment", instead of the actual judgment, but I think it would be perfectly legal. When payday happens, you simply forward the money on to the purchaser.

But what do I know? I'm an exconvict, after all.

excon
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Dec 1, 2007, 10:00 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by excon
    Hello smart:

Debts are bought and sold all the time. Since this is a JUDGMENT, you may have to sell an "assignment of judgment", instead of the actual judgment, but I think it would be perfectly legal. When payday happens, you simply forward the money on to the purchaser.

But what do I know? I'm an exconvict, after all.

excon

The local Court Clerk is a friend of mine and she doesn't know! It is a thought provoking question. Her "guess" is that you could accept the money from the third party and then you yourself would forward the payments received to that person but if the debtor doesn't pay it's up to you to collect. And if the debtor doesn't pay and the third person wants his/her money back -?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can I use this to take someone to small claims? [ 5 Answers ]

I am going to make it short and sweet. We went to settlement on the our purchase of a home and, because I thought I knew the person we bought our home from I did not take a written agreement. BIG NO NO on my behalf realizing that now... The agreement was for the seller to come back and repair...

Small claims [ 2 Answers ]

I am going to sue in small claims court... the situation is... I paid a sort of boyfriend my half of a vacation that never happened... I canceled the vacation in time to get a return for my share of the cost... it was all on his credit card... when it came back to his card he never gave me the...

Small claims [ 1 Answers ]

I want to know if there is a statue of limitations as far as small claims is concerned? From 2002 to 2006 off and on I was sending my now ex boyfriend money to stay in a hotel and supposedly money for us a place. I was to join him. But that did not happen. So is it to late to file? I can prove the...

Took ex boyfriend to small claims, HELP [ 4 Answers ]

I took my ex boyfriend to small claims because he owes me $2,600. And I won, but I am having trouble getting the money. I tried to garnish his wages, he works with his grandfather, so they lied and said he is working part time. So I couldn't garnish. What do I do?? I want to know if I can take...

View more questions Search