Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    nightowl379 Posts: 11, Reputation: 1

Nov 28, 2007, 09:01 PM
    Losing her fur
    Does anyone know why my Jack Russell Terrier keeps losing her fur in spots,she keeps licking the same spot until there is no fur left usually around her legs... :confused:
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Nov 28, 2007, 09:11 PM
    Sounds like the poorly understood hot spots. Clean the area with peroxide and apply a hydrocortisone cream. If it isn't clearing up by Monday, call the vet.

The dog is eating a commercial dog chow and little else?

Nov 28, 2007, 09:48 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by labman
    Sounds like the poorly understood hot spots. Clean the area with peroxide and apply a hydrocortisone cream. If it isn't clearing up by Monday, call the vet.

The dog is eating a commercial dog chow and little else?
    She has been to the vet 2 times in the last 4 months,first they treated her for a disease wild animals get(I forget the name)now they are treating her for the Itch but this medication she is on is not helping...

Nov 28, 2007, 09:58 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by nightowl379
    She has been to the vet 2 times in the last 4 months,first they treated her for a disease wild animals get(I forget the name)now they are treating her for the Itch but this medication she is on is not helping...
    She only eats table food,she will not eat any dog foods,tried her on several kinds...
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Nov 28, 2007, 10:03 PM
    Labman, could it possibly be mange?
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Nov 28, 2007, 11:37 PM
    I would hope the vet would have found and fixed mange. Far more likely it is the bad diet. It is quite difficult to formulate the complete and balanced diet dogs need from table food. In addition to possible skin and coat problems, there may be hidden damage to internal organs especially the liver and pancreas. It is very important to get the dog on a dry dog chow. You need to read the sticky starting at https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/dogs/i...tml#post254171

If the dog has bullied you into feeding it rich food, you may need obedience training too. Dogs see all the people and dogs in the household as a pack with each having their own rank in the pack and a top dog. Life is much easier if the 2 legged pack members outrank the 4 legged ones. You can learn to play the role of top dog by reading some books or going to a good obedience class. A good obedience class or book is about you being top dog, not about rewarding standard commands with a treat. Start at Raising Your Dog with the Monks of New Skete For more on being top dog, see Establishing and Keeping Alpha Position, Letting your dog know you are the boss

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Am I losing him? [ 10 Answers ]

How do you know if you are losing someone? Can anyone give me signs clues.. :confused: Add on: He still calls me just.. still tells me he loves me... kisses me the same as ever... we talk about each others day and laugh and stuff maybe I'm just being paroniod... I think this past week we have...

When Losing Fat What Happens! [ 8 Answers ]

Hi Guys I was just curiouse, When you loose weight will you loose your stretch marks and celulite?

Losing my patients [ 8 Answers ]

There is a boy in the neighborhood that I do not want my five year old daughter playing with. He is eight and is out of control. The kids in the neighborhood are great except this one boy. He has walked right into my neighbor's house before. Now he has been coming over to my house and playing with...

Losing weight [ 4 Answers ]

:( I'm a teenager but I'm kind of fat:( I want to loose weight how can I do that except taking all these pills and stuff cause I don't trust them ! I want to looze weight but I don't know a way Help me!! Xoxo

Losing it! [ 7 Answers ]

I have two young sons, 3 & 7. I am married, but my husband is seldom home. He works constantly so he doesn't have to deal w/the responsibility of raising the kids. To say they are WILD would be an understatement. They have NO respect for me or the limits I try to set and enforce. Every day is...

View more questions Search