Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Marzapan741 Posts: 478, Reputation: 14

Nov 27, 2007, 06:38 PM
    Vegeterians Vs. Meat eaters
    So almost all of us grew up on eating meat. That doesn't mean we will be that way forever.
    A lot of people become vegetarian and many others consume there way through meat.
    So take me for example...

I grew up eating meat for5 and a half years of my life.. but I want to change that.
    Carnivors will lsay "You need it to survive!" but tehre are other ways to survive...

I find it sad we pay people ot kill an animal so we can feel good and stay alive.
    I wouldn't eat my own dog, or hamster, so wh would I eat a chicken, or a cow?

I feel bad knowing I have flesh in my mouth and I'm chewing something that was killed in a horrible way to be in my stomach.

Myquestions.

1.Is begin a vegetarian a healthy choice?
    2.What other ways can I get those name nutrients with out meat?
    3.Is fish really meat? If not what is it? ( I still say meat)
    4. Is it really true vegetarians live longer?
    5.Is there a negative to becoming one?

I could have just googled all of this but its better to here it from people with expeirence and getting to talk with them and how they feel.
    uhhleesha Posts: 105, Reputation: 21

Nov 27, 2007, 06:59 PM
    Yes and no. There are unhealthy carnivors, herbivors, and omnivores, but I would imagine the carnivore being the worst off. You have to eat a variety of fruits, vegetables, and nuts. Really, it's not that hard to do.

2.What other ways can I get those name nutrients with out meat?
    Eat a variety of foods.

Google define: meat
    1. the flesh of animals (including fishes and birds and snails) used as food

Joe Schmoe down the road can eat fast food all day, smoke cigarettes, dip, and use illegal drugs all the time and out live a healthy vegetarian by five years. For all you know you could die by getting hit by a bus, or you could get a horrible cold and die from it. In my opinion, you could never find an answer for this. Death depends on a number of other things.

5.Is there a negative to becoming one?
    I was sick of everyone asking me about how I got my protein, as if meat was the only source. When you go to dinner parties or holiday parties people usually forget about you and make your favourite dishes WITH meat, and usually don't set aside a small portion for you without meat. Another thing is going to resturants; for me it was hard finding a menu that met my needs for being a vegetarian.

Also: Keep in mind there are three types of vegetarians
    Lacto-Ovo vegetarian
    Eats diary products and eggs
    Lacto- Vegetarian
    Eats dairy products, but no eggs
    Ovo- vegetarian
    Eats eggs, but no dairy products
    Marzapan741 Posts: 478, Reputation: 14

Nov 27, 2007, 07:11 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by uhhleesha
    Yes and no. There are unhealthy carnivors, herbivors, and omnivores, but I would imagine the carnivore being the worst off. You have to eat a variety of fruits, vegetables, and nuts. Really, it's not that hard to do.

2.What other ways can i get those name nutrients with out meat?
    Eat a variety of foods.

Google define: meat
    1. the flesh of animals (including fishes and birds and snails) used as food

Joe Schmoe down the road can eat fast food all day, smoke cigarettes, dip, and use illegal drugs all the time and out live a healthy vegetarian by five years. For all you know you could die by getting hit by a bus, or you could get a horrible cold and die from it. In my opinion, you could never find an answer for this. Death depends on a number of other things.

5.Is there a negitive to becoming one?
    I was sick of everyone asking me about how I got my protein, as if meat was the only source. When you go to dinner parties or holiday parties people usually forget about you and make your favourite dishes WITH meat, and usually don't set aside a small portion for you without meat. Another thing is going to resturants; for me it was hard finding a menu that met my needs for being a vegetarian.

Also: Keep in mind there are three types of vegetarians
    Lacto-Ovo vegetarian
    Eats diary products and eggs
    Lacto- Vegetarian
    Eats dairy products, but no eggs
    Ovo- vegetarian
    Eats eggs, but no dairy products

Thanks so much. That helped to read. :).
    Should I speak to my doctor before stopping meat?

Can I call myself a vegetarian and have fish, dairy ?
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Nov 29, 2007, 05:58 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by xAjikanx
    Is begin a vegetarian a healthy choice?
    Hello x:

We're carnivores. That's the genus we belong to. We didn't CHOOSE to be carnivores. That's what we ARE. Therefore, I think trying to change what you ARE can't be too healthy for you.

excon
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Nov 29, 2007, 08:48 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by xAjikanx

2.What other ways can i get those name nutrients with out meat?
    5.Is there a negitive to becoming one?
    1 & 2. Yes as long as you eat a good variety--legumes, whole grains, nuts, brewers yeast all contain protein and vitamins that you would get from meat.
    3. Fish is still a living creature whatever way you want to look at it that is the vegan philosophy. You can take essential/omega fatty acids to get the same benefits of eating fish.
    4 & 5. Depends. One of the nutritionalist/herbalist dr I was following and looked like she was in her 40's in her 60's died and I haven't checked to see what she died from yet. Also Ul Brenner died in his 60's and people said, "ha, so much for the vegetarian!" But whether you live longer or not you still have a better quality of life than the people suffering from high blood pressure, high cholestrol, diabeties, stomach ailments etc... and you are less likely to need all those prescription meds that have all the side effects AND if you study supplements enough you should be able to learn how to balance it all and come up with the healthiest, even anti aging, combination for YOUR health.
    uhhleesha Posts: 105, Reputation: 21

Nov 29, 2007, 08:43 PM
    xAjikanx: It depends, really. I consider people who eat meat to be selective meat eaters, not vegetarians. If you do consume diary products, then I would consider you to be vegetarian. It's always good to talk to your doctor about it, that way they are informed. If you inform your doctor that you're wanting to be vegetarian they'll keep a close eye on you and make sure nothing is going wrong. When I became a vegetarian I didn't talk to them. I started to become dizzy and would pass out during the days. I had blood work done, and I was diagnosed as being anemic.
    margog85 Posts: 241, Reputation: 19

Dec 30, 2007, 10:17 AM
    If you can stomach it, check out this documentary:

video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-1282796533661048967

My partner recently became vegan and has been sharing with me various bits of information about what led to that decision- I watched half of this last night (I had to stop myself part-way through because it actually made me cry)-

I'm not vegan or vegetarian myself, but also considering it, for a number of reasons. I truly believe that people were not intended to eat meat. But I see it as... for me, kind of a bad habit (eating meat and animal by-products). Like smoking (I'm also a smoker, so I guess I'm just all screwed up- lol). But just like people were not meant to inhale carcinogens into their lungs, we were not meant to eat animals. It's not good for us, and there are plenty of other ways to get the nutrients necessary to be healthy.

Just my two cents- if you have other questions that are unanswered, let me know and I'll check with my partner or see if she can refer you to any good websites.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Tenerizing meat [ 3 Answers ]

What is the best way to tenderize beef, like steaks

What are amino acids in Meat? [ 3 Answers ]

What are amino acids?

My dog will not eat anything but any type of meat what can I feed her besides meat? [ 2 Answers ]

My dog,Sheba,will not eat anything but meat.I know why she won't but how do I get her to eat dog food again?Sheba is nine years old and she has some arthritis and I put an arthritis pill,that my veternarian gave me, in her dog food a couple weeks ago and now she won't eat her dog food because the...

View more questions Search