Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    minamo Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Nov 25, 2007, 05:56 PM
    How young is to young?
    I am 15 and I am in love. I know not many people think that you can be in love at this age, but I am and I kind of want to get married and so does he. He is however 17 two years older and well I don't know how to ask my mom for her permission and I wouldn't get married right away I would at least wait until I was 17 but even then I would need her permission and well I don't know what to do.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Nov 25, 2007, 06:10 PM
    You wait! If this is truly love then waiting until you can legally be married will not make a difference in your love.

I am sure you think you are in love. But it's a rare 15 yr old with the experince and maturity to really understand love.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Nov 25, 2007, 06:38 PM
    Remember if you plan on getting married, it will be married till you are 80 or 90, so if you are really in love, you will still be in love at 18 after you finish high school. And maybe even 22 when you get out of college and can get a better job to help a new family.
    Kick277Jen Posts: 26, Reputation: 6

Nov 25, 2007, 09:10 PM
    Like stated above, if its true love, you'll still be in love at age 18, 20, 24, etc.----when you are more financially stable.
    One of my close friends who had been dating this guy since 6th grade got married at age 18. They were very much in love, however, a year and a half later they filed for divorce all because of financial problems. My point is love isn't always enough. Money problems put a LOT of stress on a marriage, so if you really want your relationship to last I would wait until your older. Honestly, what bad can come from pushing the wedding back a few years? You'll just have more time to get to know him and see if this is a decision you want to make for the rest of your life.
    patricemichellei Posts: 10, Reputation: 1

Nov 26, 2007, 12:10 AM
    I hear you, you're in love and want to get married but are unsure how to ask your mom. You could just come out and ask her! My question to you though is why you're having such a hard time asking her. You can probably predict what she'll say or think, huh? I also would like to know WHY you want to get married. Love is great, but it does not make a marriage - I learned the hard way.

I got married when I was 28 and it only lasted two years. I call it my practice marriage and I learned a lot!! Now I'm married to a wonderful, wonderful man and am still learning a lot at age 35! Here's some of what I've learned: you love him for all he is AND all he is NOT and vice-versa, you give 100% and he gives 100% (not 50/50), you turn TO each other when problems arise not AWAY from each other (this can be tough when you're pissed and want to complain to friends or family), you are committed to each other in such a way that disagreements, problems, issues, etc. are just pebbles on the road to your golden years (you can be fighting but all the while KNOW you'll still be together forever). Can you rationally discuss difficulties rather than fight? Are you your own person and he his own person or is there a type of co-dependency? How would you handle it if one day he comes home at for a.m. drunk? Would he be lovingly willing to help do the dishes or change pampers? What if one of you loses a job and the other is left with all the bills for 3 months or more - how would you both handle it?

These are just a few lessons I've learned and questions you may want to ask yourself. There are also lots of books full of questions to answer and discuss with your partner before getting married. I propose you check 'em out and get him involved.

My friend got married as a teen, and she and her husband have had several close calls; she once told me when we were in our 20s that she sometimes wished she was single so that she could enjoy her 20s as I had been doing. You have absolutely no way of knowing what will be happening 5, 10, 15 years, but I do think you're wise enough to know what to do here. Remember, the days of "get married and have kids" are no longer. There are so many options... look at the new version of The Game of LIFE called Twists and Turns , you have 4 directions from which to choose!

P.S. I think it's great that you're asking others for advice and hopefully getting the full picture. By the way, you mentioned you "kind of" want to get married. Maybe you guys can do a promise ring and if at 18 if you're still interested in marriage, THEN get engaged with another year to plan. After all, what's the hurry? You'd still have to find a place to live and a way to support yourselves. Good luck and let us know what you decide.
    mjl Posts: 486, Reputation: 26

Nov 26, 2007, 04:00 PM
    I agree with the promise ring idea! 15 is too young. I got married at 20 and people think I'm crazy for that... wait until your at least 18 or 19 and then revisit the idea, because if you think about it, if this is true love you have lots of time to think about it right.

Nov 26, 2007, 05:30 PM
    thanks for the great advice. Your right it=f it is true love there is no reason to rush. I guess I alreay knew that and needed to hear it from someone else. Thanks again.! :D
    beth911 Posts: 499, Reputation: 6

Nov 26, 2007, 05:42 PM
    I understand how you feel. I am 16. But I still think its too younf to be tied down like that

Nov 26, 2007, 05:45 PM
    But wait... HES 17 YEARS OLDER?? Am I seeing this right?

Nov 26, 2007, 05:46 PM
    Noooooooooooooo!! Typo he is 17 years old
    Two years older

Nov 26, 2007, 05:47 PM
    And if you want to wait until your17 who knows you may not even want to be with him. Theirs alotta time between now and then and a lot could happen. I've been with my man for 2 years now but even if I'm still with him, I don't plan on getting married until I'm in my 20s. He's only 18 by the way
    tyler1212 Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Nov 27, 2007, 09:27 PM
    I know exactly how your feeling. I'm 16 now and when I was around 14 I believed I was in love with a girl and that I was almost as serious as you are. Lol lets just say things didn't work out as I expected it to work out. Honestly' if you two are that serious, just date for at least 2 more years and see if your intentions are still the same. But I must ask how long have you two been dating for?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How young is too young when it comes to your virginity? [ 41 Answers ]

This girl who's interested in me recently told me that she lost hers at 14.The legal age here is 16.Im not sure whether to be put off by this because it seems a bit young. She said she's never had sex after that but that's not the point.woulnt care if she's a virgin or not but not sure if I should...

How young is to young? [ 12 Answers ]

My dad won't let me do anything and he sais I shouldn't even be going ot the mall with friends without him! I'm 12 years old (almost 13) he also thinks I smoke pot whitch I don't! And in the last month or 2 my grades are gone up 60%! I like this guy but I'm not even aloud to go anywere with him or...

Is 18 too young [ 3 Answers ]

Me and my boyfrien have been dating for almost a year, I'm 16 now and we are already in love and talking about getting married when I turn 18. He will be 19. We are so much in love. Of course we argue, but we always make it right. At the moment we are living in different states and have been for 8...

Too young? [ 11 Answers ]

Hey, Im 16 and me and my boyfriend have been together for awhile now and do you ever just get the feeling that he's the one? Well I have the feeling and my boyfriend has asked me to marry him in the fall. He is 21 and I know that seems like a lot of age difference, but I am very mature for my age....

Too young? [ 8 Answers ]

I'm 11 and "well developed" lots of guys and girl in my year started asking each other out about 1 1/2 years ago, I was asked out once and found it was boring because our parents wouldn't let us meet up anywere and I was dumped a few days later. Now its more interesting as many of my friends have...

View more questions Search