Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    brat15 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 25, 2007, 04:52 PM
    Itin w7
    Hello,
    I filed my taxes last year jointly as I was married and applied for my wife's itin number (I'm on h1b and she is on h4). IRS complained that there was problem with the
    w7 and processed my tax return without the itin number for my wife. So I got my tax return less by $500. Can I refile my 2006 tax return and my 2007 with the w7, so that I can reclaim the lost $500.

Thanks
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Nov 27, 2007, 06:45 PM
    You need to amend your 2006 return by filing Form 1040X with the W-7. The amendment will add your wife's personal exemption PLUS double your standard deduction from $5,150 to $10,300.

If you want professional help doing this, contact me at [email protected].
    Barbaruba7 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Dec 4, 2007, 07:52 PM
    Go to the IRS website and look up their listings of "Certified Acceptance Agents". They will be able to expedite the w-7, and be able to call the IRS and find out exactly what the problem was, initially.
    MukatA Posts: 7,110, Reputation: 176
    Tax Expert

Dec 4, 2007, 11:58 PM
    Barbaruba7, how much is the normal fee of a Certified Acceptance Agent?
    Senior Tax Expert

Dec 5, 2007, 12:51 PM
    Why bother? If you can read the instructions, you can prepare the W-7 yourself.

Then take it to a local IRS office to have the passport photocopy certified as a true copy, They will also check to make sure the W-7 is correct.

Then submit it with an amended return (Form 1040X), and you are good to go!
    MukatA Posts: 7,110, Reputation: 176
    Tax Expert

Dec 6, 2007, 12:20 AM
    Why bother?
    I wanted to know this for my knowledge. Also if it is a small amount it may be worth spending in some cases.
    Senior Tax Expert

Dec 6, 2007, 01:53 PM
    To be truthful, I do not know if there is a fee charged by a Certified Acceptance Agent.

I charge a nominal fee of $30 to prepare the Form W-7, if that gives you any reference.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

To get an ITIN no. [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I am non-immigrant worker in US. I applied for my 2007 tax returns and applied for my wife's ITIN no. I got my refund amount to my bank account directly. Due to my change of address, after appling for the returns I did not receive my wife's ITIN no. how do I get my wife's ITIN no. ...

How to get an ITIN number [ 1 Answers ]

I'm a student that just graduated high school with no social security number I got accepted to college but I'm asked for an ITIN number or IRS number . I've had to miss my 1st semester of school dude to this problem because tax number are issued on January 1st . Is there a way to get an ITIN number...

Do we need a ITIN? [ 3 Answers ]

I'M a j1 researcher and my wife a J2 with no income. I prepared 1040NR for federal taxes but the California 549NR form asks for my wife's SSN or ITIN and we have not neither of them for her or the children. What can we do? Thank you very much a prompt response.

How to get ITIN [ 1 Answers ]

Hai, My husband came to US in June 2006 in H1. I and my son came to US in November 2006 in H4. 1. What is the procedure for getting ITIN? 2. Should me and my son both apply for ITIN? 3. What are the documents that I should have so that I can apply for ITIN? 4. How long will it take...

How to Get a ITIN number? [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I am on a H1 b from 2005 oct and my husband lives in UK; He will be moving to US on feb 20 th 2007 and will be going to school of dentistry from April ; When and how can I apply for his ITIN number? How can we get back taxes for 2007 which we will be paying as his tution fees in Feb...

View more questions Search