Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    KTM Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Nov 19, 2007, 08:26 PM
    I think I have a Computer virus but it won't go away.
    I've just recently gotten a virus (I'll call it a virus because I don't know all of the terms to use). Every time I run a scan with ad-aware (SE personal), I find new cirtical objects. I've tried keeping them in quarentine, and also deleting the quarentine file. Every time I turn my computer back on, or restart my computer, the same virus, or viruses (I think I might have more then one.) keep coming up and giving me the same problems. I run another scan and repeat the process. This virus gives me fake windows alerts, which lead me to an internet sight selling virus removal programs (kind of ironic). I also get three icons, which kind of look like virus protection software, on my desktop which only lead to more internet sights trying to sell me things. The icons aren't real programs because I can't find them on my add / remove programs list. But to make a long story short, the same virus keeps coming back after I remove it with a scan. Any tips on how to fix this? Please be specific. I'm really not the best with computers. Thanks for any help at all.
    CaptainRich Posts: 4,492, Reputation: 537
    Cars & Trucks Expert

Nov 19, 2007, 08:34 PM
    Maybe a more aggressive anti-virus... like MacAfee or Norton (my fave) If you obtain these and install them while your 'puter is offline, they should be more effective at handling the crisis. Run either and then when they are done, defrag and then reboot.
    Keep up with either's update list once you are back online.
    KTM Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Nov 19, 2007, 08:39 PM
    I used ad-aware and norton anti-virus but once I reboot the computer the virus just comes back, Do you have any other suggestions. Thanks
    CaptainRich Posts: 4,492, Reputation: 537
    Cars & Trucks Expert

Nov 19, 2007, 08:59 PM
    CC Cleaner can be helpful sometimes when others cannot.
    CCleaner - Home
    invisibleman_productions Posts: 207, Reputation: 12

Nov 19, 2007, 10:11 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by KTM
    I've just recently gotten a virus (I'll call it a virus because I don't know all of the terms to use). Every time I run a scan with ad-aware (SE personal), I find new cirtical objects. I've tried keeping them in quarentine, and also deleting the quarentine file. Everytime I turn my computer back on, or restart my computer, the exact same virus, or viruses (I think I might have more then one.) keep coming up and giving me the same problems. I run another scan and repeat the process. This virus gives me fake windows alerts, which lead me to an internet sight selling virus removal programs (kind of ironic). I also get three icons, which kind of look like virus protection software, on my desktop which only lead to more internet sights trying to sell me things. The icons aren't real programs because I can't find them on my add / remove programs list. But to make a long story short, the same virus keeps coming back after I remove it with a scan. Any tips on how to fix this? Please be specific. I'm really not the best with computers. Thanks for any help at all.
    1. Download and run Firefox to protect your from future spyware attacks and pop ups which are coming in through internet explorer (Trojan downloaders, win32 ) .Then update your windows through Firefox
    Security News from the net: spyware fighter essentials

2. Run the vundo and combo fix
    Security News from the net: vundofix and combo fix

3. Run the anti spyware remove programs spybot
    Security News from the net: Spybot search and destroy spyware and popups

And superantispyware
    Security News from the net: SUPERAntiSpyware Home Edition (free version)
    To get rid of the nasties

4. Run a free online virus scan to be sure you computer is virus and spyware free.
    Security News from the net: Online virus scan

5. Get the clean up tools to clean up the spyware from your temp folder (the place they are stored when downloaded by internet explorer)
    Security News from the net: Clean up tools to prevent people from tracing your internet surfing
    Also install internet explorer 7 which is now free for everyone oct2007
    Security News from the net: Internet Explorer 7 available now to All Users
    This should stop 50% of the spyware and popups attacking your computer

WHAT DO YOU DO IF EVERYTHING FAILS TO REMOVE THE SPYWARE or You are not sure your computer is spyware and virus free?
    If everything fails to get the nasty spyware removed let the experts take a look at what's happening on your computer.Visit the HijackThis Logs and Analysis forum.
    BleepingComputer.com -> HijackThis Logs and Malware Removal

Wiping your computer clean is NOT the solution.
    Asking /paying someone else to fix the problem is NOT the solution .

TAKE A STAND NOW!
    IT's YOUR COMPUTER
    biggsie Posts: 1,267, Reputation: 125
    Ultra Member

Nov 19, 2007, 10:40 PM
    I really want you to get your computer cleaned up -- Run scans and save reports

If there is something you can't get rid of ( Google It ) and find way to remove it

Online Scan
    BitDefender Free Online Virus Scan

Online Scan
    ewido - anti-spyware and anti-malware solutions

AVG AVG Free Advisor - Installation files & documentation

SPYBOT
    Spybot - Search & Destroy - Reviews and free Spybot - Search & Destroy downloads at Download.com

SpyBlaster
    SpywareBlaster download and review - disable spyware ActiveX controls from SnapFiles

Run scans in Safe Mode with networking -- Scanning takes a long time - start it and let it complete the job

Copy and paste info in Note Pad for future reference -- Maybe you can help someone else someday
    BBWfromPhilly Posts: 42, Reputation: 5

Nov 22, 2007, 08:05 AM
    Delete all your cookies. Some sites online make you susceptible to a cookie that takes over your computer and makes you think you have a virus so you get scared and purchase drive cleaner software from a site that just happens to appear. It's just a cookie. You may have to do this regularly.
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Nov 22, 2007, 08:16 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by BBWfromPhilly
    Delete all your cookies. Some sites online make you susceptible to a cookie that takes over your computer
    Sorry this cannot happen. A cookie is a small text file.
    BBWfromPhilly Posts: 42, Reputation: 5

Nov 22, 2007, 08:25 AM
    That might be so, but that was the recommendation given to me and it worked. I also failed to mention... sorry... that clearing the cache is recommended also.

Quote Originally Posted by NeedKarma
    Sorry this cannot happen. A cookie is a small text file.
    Flytrap Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Nov 27, 2007, 07:44 AM
    What a lot of advice. What none of them have told you is even more basic and simple. You have caught a variant of the SmithFraud trojan. This pops up a false warning message.

First clear your temporary directory. Type %tmp% in the "run" command box. Delete all temporary files - the item can lurk there. Make sure you have cleared temporary internet files (not sure if you use IE or Firefox).

Follow instructions here: How To Remove The Smitfraud / Generic Zlob / Quicknavigate / Virtual Maid

Run Adware or Spybot in Safe Mode, several times.

Chances are you will not get rid of the popup as it hides in the registry. Once you are sure you have cleaned the PC disable the popup. Right click the taskbar, select properties, make sure "hide inactive icons is selected" and select customize, find the culprit in the list and set it to "never show". Select "ok", exit and then "apply". Now you can deselect "hide inactive". You need to restart to lose the pop-up

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

A networt virus is attacking my computer-What do I do? [ 2 Answers ]

What do I do and who do I contact?

Computer Virus [ 4 Answers ]

I have a trojan on my PC called generic.cd it is in the file icc.dll in Windows. I am using McAfee anti virus software. The trojan cannot be cleaned and the file cannot be deleted. I have quarantened the trojan but when I rescan the PC it has returned. I tried the McAfee online help but without...

Direct computer to computer connection via Ethernet ports [ 1 Answers ]

I should like to connect two Windows XP computers via Gigabit ethernet ports. What a software is necessary To ensure the possibility to use one of the PCs as a terminal of another With sharing HDDs ets?

Newly built computer for sale! Powerful Computer! [ 1 Answers ]

I have a computer for sale, here are the specs: DFI Landparty NF4 SLI-DR Motherboard AMD64 X2 Dual Core 4800+ Processor 1GB of Corsair XMS Dual Channel RAM Aspire X-Cruiser Silver Case 550 Watt Antec True Power Power Supply 7800GTX 256MB DDR3 Graphics Card with SLI enabled 300GB Maxtor...

Anti virus disable, is is a virus? [ 1 Answers ]

I was running AVG atni-virus, and it just stopped working... it would start to scan then completely close out, so I deleted it off my computer and re installed it I had the same problem so I got norton and I had the same problem.  so I'm guessing I have something on my computer that's turning them...

View more questions Search