Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    RobG Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Nov 19, 2007, 04:29 AM
    Shower dooor
    Hello everyone.

Hope someone can help me. I have recently had a shower frame and pivot door fitted. The frame arrived damaged, but my plumber fixed it the best he could and continued to fit it. Now the door closes at the top but there is a gap at the bottom between the frame and the door. I cannot tell if the frame is out or the door is the problem. Is there some way of rectifying this. The supplier says they can do nothing as the frame has been fitted.

Thank you.
    TerryB Posts: 53, Reputation: 3

Nov 21, 2007, 10:01 PM
    Is the door plastic or glass? Have some pictures? Anyway, it probably is the frame that is warped. The only real way to fix this usually involves re-installing the frame. Make sure that all mating surfaces are level and plumb. If they are not you are in for a world of hurt.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Nov 22, 2007, 09:21 AM
    Lets start by telling us what the damage was when the door arrived. 20/20 hind sight but you should not have tried to install a damaged unit.

Nov 28, 2007, 09:41 AM
    Thanks for your replies.

The only visible damage was the corner of the frame was turned in. This was straightened by my plumber. The door was out of the frame when it arrived. That was all that was visible.

Nov 28, 2007, 10:26 AM
    What is the make and model of the door?

Nov 28, 2007, 05:51 PM
    Rob, Terry and I are waiting to hear if this is a glass door. When you plumber straightened the bend I think he may have left a warp in the door. There is a slight chance if you call the manufacturer and tell them of the damage and you can't get it fitted properly they may still take it back. This is a big maybe because we don't know how long ago the door was purchased.

Nov 29, 2007, 06:18 AM
    Thank guys, sorry to keep you waiting. It is a glass Hydrolux door and frame, 760mm wide.

The supplier said that as it had been fitted they could do nothing for me. I reckon I'm stuck with it!

RobG

Nov 29, 2007, 08:23 AM
    Go at the supplier again and point out that it wasn't until you fitted the door that you realized it was warped or would not close. From what you have said you truly thought it could be made to work, until it didn't. If all else fails take the door, minus the hardware, and lay it on a true flat surface. See if you can identify the warp, if any, and try to twist the door to releave the tension. This may be a two man job.

Nov 29, 2007, 08:55 AM
    Sounds like your plumber left his level (or plumb bob ;) ) at home the day he installed your shower. Typically with these shower doors, the doors stay straight but the frame is installed crooked. Unfortunately the only way to fix this requires dissassembly of the door & frame to get at the mounting screws. Perhaps you know a real good carpenter or handy man you can call?

Nov 29, 2007, 09:00 AM
    Terry, you could be right about the frame being out of plumb. It would have the same efffect of a warp in the door itself. I have reread the original post and the owner really has not said anything other than the frame was damaged so maybe my warped door theroy is a bit warped.

Nov 29, 2007, 11:24 AM
    Thanks again guys. I will certainly look into using your suggestions to rectify the problem.

RobG :-)
    llyndzy Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Nov 29, 2007, 11:33 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by RobG
    Hello everyone.

Hope someone can help me. I have recently had a shower frame and pivot door fitted. The frame arrived damaged, but my plumber fixed it the best he could and continued to fit it. Now the door closes at the top but there is a gap at the bottom between the frame and the door. I cannot tell if the frame is out or the door is the problem. Is there some way of rectifying this. The supplier says they can do nothing as the frame has been fitted.

Thank you.
    You should have just sent it back and have them send in another one, they mostlikely wouldent have charged anything because it arived that way.
    I know, we had just moved back home and we were still furnishing it and so many things that came in were damaged on the way over here. So we sent them back and they had new ones shipped in in just a few weeks. Or less...

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

The water in my shower will not switch from the shower head to the tub spout? [ 5 Answers ]

I recently purchased a small home, that I am getting ready to rent out the problem is I get water from the shower head just fine, but I get not water from the tub spout, any ideas?

My shower drain is raised above the shower pan by 3/16" causing standing water [ 2 Answers ]

I have a fiberglass shower stall where the bottom has either slumped or the stall was installed wrong to begin with (it has no support beneath the surface that I stand on). The drain sticks above the level line so I have about 3/16" of standing water. I cannot easily access the bottom from the...

Replace shower Plumbing Valve assembly shower head 2 knobs [ 3 Answers ]

In a fiberglass corner shower shell. What I have is an old leaking rusted Shower valve assembly. It leaks from the Shower head that is a hand sprayer with a wall mount from the sprayer. It also leaks around the both the hot and cold water wall mount knobs. The cold water knob the sleeve that...

View more questions Search