Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    asbenson0801 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 17, 2007, 06:49 AM
    Toilet Flushes then doesn't
    My toilet starting flushing slow then not at all then after I plunge it sometimes it flushes and sometimes it doesn't. When it doesn't flush after the plunge I plunge it harder and it flushes as long as there is nothing in the bowl. If I put 2 sheets of tp in the bowl and then flush it acts like it is clogged again. So I read several tips on here already and I am going try drano before I go buy a snake. Will Drano work or should I just go for the snake? The other thing is why the screwy flushing habit. Could there be something small blocking th normal flushing routine?
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Nov 17, 2007, 07:12 AM
    Does sound like an obstruction, I would also try a drywall bucket(5 gal)full of water and pour in as fast as you can without over flowing, up a couple of feet. A snake can't hurt.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Nov 17, 2007, 07:14 AM
    Could there be something small blocking th normal flushing routine?
    If you had a blockage the toilet would back up and overflow. I don'tthink a snake would help. Draino won't do you any good so forget it. I have one that most repair plumbers miss.. Look down at the bottom of the bowl. If there is a small hole, then that is a jet that starts the syphon action. If it's clogged the water will just swirl around and slowly go down leaving solids behind. Take your finger,(UGH! ) and run it around the inside of the opening. Over the years minerals build up and cut down on the syphon (flush) action. If it is rough or you feel build up, take a table knife and put a bend in it to get around the curve in the bowl and chip and scrap it clear. Next take a coathanger and clear out the holes around the rim. They start the swirling action. And last, check the water level in the tank. It should be 1/2" below the top of the over flow tube. And speaking of the overflow tube, Make sure the small 1/8" tube from the ballcock to the white overflow tube is connected so it discharges in it and that it's flowing when the ballcock fills. This is what raises the water level in the bowl. For a good solid flush they all have to work together. Hope this helps . Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Toilet randomly flushes [ 2 Answers ]

I have a 3 year old toilet and just within the last month the tank has been emptying and filling backup all on it's own - if I'm home for 4 hours straight, I'll hear it 4-5 times. I did replace the wax ring awhile back. Is it water pressure or a leak? Thanks in advance!

Toilet flushes with hardly any power - everything clogs! [ 5 Answers ]

My toilet was making a continual buzzing sound and my brother replaced some pipe. As he did that he turned my water off etc. Now the buzzing sound is gone but then water was leaking at the bottom pipe that goes into the wall. So I turned off the water and thought that by lowering the water...

Hot Water only when Toilet Flushes [ 2 Answers ]

I’m in the process of having both of my upstairs (two story house) bathrooms completely remodeled i.e. gutted, new walls, floors, tub, toilet, sink, etc. Prior to remodeling, I have never had an issue in regards to an adequate amount of hot water for taking a shower. Now that one bathroom has...

Toilet continuosly flushes [ 4 Answers ]

When not being used, the toilet continuously flushes over time. It's like the toilet drains the water low over time to make it flush. I have changed out the flapper and still have the same problem. I did notice the tank is not level, could that have something to do with it?

Smell when toilet flushes [ 2 Answers ]

I have a two story home about 3 years old. The problem started about a year ago with the upstairs toilets. Then included the downstairs toilet. It is a septic smell . The toilets all gurgle and burp when flushed which of course lets the smell burp in. I've snaked all the vents today and find no...

View more questions Search