Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    kaylalynnworley Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 16, 2007, 06:20 PM
    Adopting my Step Son
    My husband and I have had full custody of my son for many years and his Bio-mother is not involved in his life except for an occasional phone call every 6 months or so. She recently agreed to give up rights of him so that I may adopt him. We are in Texas.

Is there an easy way to do this or do we have to spend $2000.00 on an attorney for her to voluntarily give up her rights?

Is there a form or an affidavit that we can fill out and take to the courts to accomplish this so that I may adopt him legally?

Thanks for any answers you can give me
    macksmom Posts: 1,787, Reputation: 152
    Ultra Member

Nov 17, 2007, 09:21 AM
    You are going to need an attorney to handle the adoption, so they can handle it all. Start calling around and getting free consultations. With the mother signing away her rights voluntarily it shouldn't be too expensive, just basically the attorney drawing up and filing the right paperwork.
    K_2 Posts: 92, Reputation: 5

Nov 17, 2007, 09:37 AM
    Mine was $1750... our lawyer worked with us. We had to pay $250 upfront so he'd send the papers to the bio parent to sign, then we made payments and once we got 1/2 of the remaining paid, he filed everything in court and let us continue to make payments. Our adoption was final 3 months before we had it all paid off. He let us make payments whenever/however much we could.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Nov 17, 2007, 09:56 AM
    Yes, you need an attorney, first it is a lot more than her giving up the rights, you have to do it thouight he court and have the court sign the rights over. Next the court has to do the adoption process. One word wrong in the forms and filing can void it, if there is latter a challenge. So doing it right is very important.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Adopting my step daughter [ 2 Answers ]

Is it possible for me to adopt my step daughter? The situation is that her father is on the birth certificate but does not play a role in her life. My wife has full legal custody and a protective order agonist the father preventing him of knowing where we live. He pays no child support or has no...

Adopting my step daughter [ 3 Answers ]

My step daughter is 18 mts old, her biological father does not see or speak to her(through his own choice). My wife and I are considering that I adopt faith(stepdaughter). However as neither of us have ever done this before it would be useful to know where to start. So if anyone knows how to start...

Adopting my step-daughter [ 1 Answers ]

My husband has been raising his daughter on his own since she was about 6 weeks old. When we started dating she was a little over 2 years old. Her birth mother has been in and out of her life since she was born and pretty much just did it because of a jealousy thing. She had weekend visitation on...

Adopting step children [ 2 Answers ]

How do I go about adopting my step children without having the expense of an attorney? Their mother has requested me to adopt them and wants to give up all her parental rights.

Adopting a step daughter [ 4 Answers ]

My step daughter's Father is now dead and she would like me to adopt her so that she can genuinely feel part of our family. I would also like this to happen but what is involved in the legal process and how long does this take. Also is there a large cost involved?

View more questions Search