Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Tins30 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Nov 16, 2007, 05:38 PM
    Is there a case?
    Hope I can get some legal advice on whether there is a case and if I should proceed with a lawyer? Somehow I feel I was not treated right by employees of Wendy. I always drive
    Through this wendy(food store just like Mc Donald) food store that is located at summit centre way, orlando, FL - 32810 and order chicken sandwich.. There has been couple
    Of occasion where I changed my order on main window and tell them to add another
    Sandwich. This time I did not have cash so I decided to use my credit card. But after I gave them the order I realized sandwish itself is like $1.00 and its not worth swiping card
    For just $1.00 so on main window I decided to change my order and add another sandwish. They have two windows, first window where they accept payment and second
    Where your order is delivered.

And this is not like every time. Probably couple of times out of 25 visits so far. This time for some reason this lady who works in there and who is probably a supervisor did not like
    Me changing my order and passed some comments and she repeatis again and again for at least 4 to 5 times right in front of me but not directly talking to me or addressing straight to me.. And she kept saying "He always does that... always" . And that definetely
    Became personal for me.. And I was like what did that lady just say.. And I asked this other guy who was actually taking the order and he says " Sir she is not telling that to you, she is telling that to me" And I said " Does not look like she is telling to you? " And then I ask him to tell her to talk to me directly.. He confronted with her and comes back and tells me she will be there on next window where you pick up your order. . And then I ask her directly.. Were you talking about me? And then she says " Yes sir I was. You do that all the time and I remember your face.. " And I was like what? What did you just say.. There are thousands of customers and I bet I am not the one who only changes his order.. If you don't like that then I think you should look for another job".. And she just could not take it and did not show her face..

Should I be filing case against Wendy for the way I have been treated or should I just leave it.. I will be consulting my lawyer anyway.. But any advice will be highly appreciated.

Thanks
    Tins30
    charlotte234s Posts: 1,903, Reputation: 143
    Ultra Member

Nov 16, 2007, 05:42 PM
    Talking about you isn't illegal, just very rude.

Fast food work is frustrating, so she may have just been stressed out about the extra work and frustration you caused, but yeah, it's very rude to talk about people like that.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Nov 16, 2007, 05:54 PM
    Of course not, you should have enough common sense not to change your order after you placed it, you have any idea how that messes up their system and slows things for people behind you. That is just rude of you to start with, and if you swipe for a dollar, so what it is not their fault you forgot your money.

Let me see you make two mistakes and then get upset when they get mad.

There only mistake was to talk about you in front of you, most of the time they wait till you drive off and then make fun of people doing those things.

No law suit what so ever.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Nov 16, 2007, 06:18 PM
    Like FrChuck said, you probably mess up their system when you add to your order at the pay window. (And no, people don't do like you do. In fact, many places will refuse to do this sort of thing or will ask the customer to go to the end of the line and order again.) Wendy's makes each sandwich for each customer, to order. Especially if there are cars behind you, Wendy's may be working on the orders for the cars two or three behind you once you reach the pay window.

Wendy's owes you nothing! You owe them an apology.

(Are you the guy who called our public library one night at two minutes to 9, our closing time, and demanded that we keep the doors open for fifteen more minutes until you got there to pick up your interlibrary loan book because, after all, you are a taxpayer and we owe you that extra time?)
    Ultra Member

Nov 16, 2007, 06:22 PM
    Also, LOL, the library is a tax-payer PRIVILEGE. NOT A right. You should have told them they were a crazy idiot and locked up right then, wondergirl.
    Ultra Member

Nov 16, 2007, 06:30 PM
    HAHAHAHA good for you wondergirl. People who think they have entitlement to special privileges are ridiculous, especially when they are being abusive towards employees of a place providing them with a service.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Nov 16, 2007, 06:33 PM
    I wonder what Tins would do or say if he were the Wendy's employee who had a customer like he has been. Isn't that what the Golden Rule is all about?
    Ultra Member

Nov 16, 2007, 06:43 PM
    It was rude of the lady working there to talk about them in front of them, but the person was probably swamped and stressed out about all the extra work.
    Gernald Posts: 901, Reputation: 93
    Expert

Nov 16, 2007, 06:44 PM
    No this case would probably be laughed out of the court room. If you really hate it boycott Wendy's or call the owner of the store.
    Rude people, who can't find a job they want so they're mean to everyone are found everywhere you can either suck it up or tell them how you feel. (I'd go with telling them how you feel :) )
    tombb25 Posts: 37, Reputation: 7

Nov 16, 2007, 08:39 PM
    Not to be rude to you Tins but I have to agree, it is unfortunate that you were treated this way and maybe you can complain to a manager but to sue someone over this is ridiculous, all they did was give their opinion, it is a personal matter. This is what makes our judicial system seem so ridiculous, people are sue happy and think whenever their lives are interrupted they should sue.

Nov 16, 2007, 09:27 PM
    First of all appreciate all the response I received so far in like an hour..

Well this is about how matter was handled.. Somewhere I think it was not handled correctly.. She always had an option and she could have told me that "No we cannot do
    this and you will have to get back in line". Not humiliate you in front of others. And if
    Someone tells you something they should directly talk to you not to other person in front of you about you. That's like humiliating you in front of others. And there is always nice way to put things.. This will somewhere help companies to stay out of trouble just because of one employee. I think instead of addressing main issue she throws in her opinion about me in front of others which I find very offensive. Lets say - someone working as an employee of food franchise does not treat you nice and come up with some remarks that's more personal - Legally can you do something about this? Sure you can. Again does their company policy say you cannot change your order once you place it.. If it did then she would have told me upfront "Sir you will have to stand back in line. . We cannot make any changes." So if that's not what it is then don't complain.. just do your job... " If you get high with customers so easily then you are better off with something else.. All I did was change my order.. There could have been an explanation from their side if what I did was something they did not like.. Not humiliate customers in front of others.. No way..

Nov 16, 2007, 09:31 PM
    Comment on charlotte234s's post
    You are right legally maybe (Maybe) I cannot do much.. All I did not like is way they treated me.. What if I treat them same..

Nov 16, 2007, 09:35 PM
    Comment on Fr_Chuck's post
    I already mentioned above I did it twice and I have been on same place almost like 25 times.. Bad timing as I did it twice and she was there on both occasion.. And maybe that made her think I am doing it always..
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Nov 16, 2007, 09:49 PM
    Tins, there is no policy that we must close exactly at 9. Had two of us been willing, we could have kept watch for him and checked out his book to him IF he had showed up. Of course, what if he hadn't? There have been many times we have not been able to leave at 9 because a parent forgot to pick up their kid or got stuck in traffic and didn't get to the library until after closing. (Those were the days before cell phones.) We waited patiently with no complaints.

It was the arrogance of the guy who demanded that we wait for him to show up to check out his interlibrary loan book that annoyed us. Were you demanding at Wendy's or were you properly apologetic? Why did she remember you if it happens so rarely? I agree she could have handled it better, but then, so could you. I say yours and my situations are very similar.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Nov 17, 2007, 07:30 AM
    Hello Tins:

It's not illegal to insult someone or be rude. You're not entitled to anything. I'm not being real swell to you right now, and it won't cost me a penny.

excon
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Nov 17, 2007, 08:59 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Tins30
    Hope I can get some legal advice on whether there is a case and if I should proceed with a lawyer? Somehow I feel I was not treated right by employees of Wendy. I always drive
    thru this wendy(food store just like Mc Donald) food store that is located at summit centre way, orlando, FL - 32810 and order chicken sandwich.. There has been couple
    of occasion where I changed my order on main window and tell them to add another
    sandwich. This time I did not have cash so I decided to use my credit card. But after I gave them the order I realized sandwish itself is like $1.00 and its not worth swiping card
    for just $1.00 so on main window I decided to change my order and add another sandwish. They have two windows, first window where they accept payment and second
    where your order is delivered.

And this is not like everytime. Probably couple of times out of 25 visits so far. This time for some reason this lady who works in there and who is probably a supervisor did not like
    me changing my order and passed some comments and she repeatis again and again for atleast 4 to 5 times right in front of me but not directly talking to me or addressing straight to me.. And she kept saying "He always does that... always" . And that definetely
    became personal for me.. And I was like what did that lady just say.. And I asked this other guy who was actually taking the order and he says " Sir she is not telling that to you, she is telling that to me" And I said " Does not look like she is telling to you? " And then I ask him to tell her to talk to me directly.. He confronted with her and comes back and tells me she will be there on next window where you pick up your order. .And then I ask her directly.. Were you talking about me? And then she says " Yes sir I was. You do that all the time and I remember your face.. " And I was like what? What did you just say.. ? There are thousands of customers and I bet I am not the one who only changes his order.. If you don't like that then I think you should look for another job".. And she just could not take it and did not show her face..

Should I be filing case against Wendy for the way I have been treated or should I just leave it.. I will be consulting my lawyer anyway.. But any advice will be highly appreciated.

Thanx
    Tins30
    You can sue anyone for anything - you can't necessarily win but you CAN sue. That being said you need to be damaged in order to collect. I don't see any damages here - other than perhaps you were embarrassed. Unfortunately, life is full of embarrassing incidents. I think (if you so decide) repeating this incident in Small Claims Court would be MORE embarrassing than the original incident.

I will be curious to learn what your Attorney says - in the meantime, conduct your own, private boycott of Wendy's.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Nov 17, 2007, 10:03 AM
    The person in the car behind you could sue you for wasting their time.
    Next time don't change you order, be polite and courtous of those behind you. People that change their orders is one of my pet peeves of all times,

You were wrong, why not admit it and go on with life.
    Uber Member

Nov 17, 2007, 10:21 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by charlotte234s
    HAHAHAHA good for you wondergirl. People who think they have entitlement to special privileges are ridiculous, especially when they are being abusive towards employees of a place providing them with a service.

I spent some years with the Federal Government and people told us all the time that they wanted this or that special treatment "because they paid our wages." The standard answer was: "I'm glad to hear that; I need a raise and I didn't know who to ask." Said with a smile, people smiled back.
    Gernald Posts: 901, Reputation: 93
    Expert

Nov 19, 2007, 12:50 PM
    It sounds like you need to think about what your saying.

There are tons of dumb people in the world, just because they imbarassed you is not reason to sue, sure you'd like to, but it's not the company's fault that they accidentally hired a crappy employee, if you complain disciplenary action would be taken.
    Just because you got your feelings hurt and you were embarrassed is kind of a stupid reason to be angry.
    If I got mad every time a stupid person insulted me or embarrassed me I would have killed someone by now.
    Keep in mind: Sticks and stones will break your bones, word will never hurt you.
    Kind of lame but you need to seriously think about how embarrassed you would be to sue them and loose the case.
    Uber Member

Nov 19, 2007, 03:53 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Tins30
    First of all appreciate all the response I received so far in like an hour..

Well this is about how matter was handled.. ? Somewhere I think it was not handled correctly... ! She always had an option and she could have told me that "No we cannot do
    this and you will have to get back in line". Not humiliate you in front of others. And if
    someone tells you something they should directly talk to you not to other person in front of you about you. Thats like humiliating you in front of others. And there is always nice way to put things.. This will somewhere help companies to stay out of trouble just because of one employee. I think instead of addressing main issue she throws in her opinion about me in front of others which I find very offensive. Lets say - someone working as an employee of food franchise does not treat you nice and come up with some remarks thats more personal - Legally can you do something about this? Sure you can. Again does their company policy say you cannot change your order once you place it.. If it did then she would have told me upfront "Sir you will have to stand back in line. . We cannot make any changes." So if thats not what it is then don't complain.. just do your job... " If you get high with customers so easily then you are better off with something else.. All I did was change my order.. There could have been an explanation from their side if what I did was something they did not like.. Not humiliate customers in front of others.. No way.. !

To quote you: "Lets say - someone working as an employee of food franchise does not treat you nice and come up with some remarks thats more personal - Legally can you do something about this? Sure you can."

I don't know why you asked the question when you apparently think you already have the answer - if you are going to argue with people on this site I can't imagine how you behaved at Wendy's.

You asked and many people answered - no, you can't. You are NOT damaged and that's what it's all about. I'm surprised you weren't banned from the restaurant (which, by the way, they are also entitled to do).

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Case of the ex - what shall I do? [ 3 Answers ]

Hello there! Sorry ill try my best to keep this short. Ive been seeing this guy for 7 months now, he's fantastic have a great laugh. But there is an issue. He was with this girl for 3 years and was due to get married this June, but as you guessed he called it off. I met him one random night round...

Do I have a case? [ 1 Answers ]

Just looking for some opinions, thanks. In Aug 06' I broke my femur in a car accident, I was rushed to the hospital and given surgury the next day to repair the break with a rod and screws. I went though physical therapy, many doctor's visits, etc. Finally, with x-rays done the surgeon cleared...

Is my case over? [ 1 Answers ]

Hi,I was charged with something a year ago.I was out on conditional discharge but I never did what I should have.it was only for a year and the year is up is the case over? Or do I have to go and have them close it?:confused:

Do you think I have a case? [ 1 Answers ]

I have been out shopping lately for a wedding, dance recital and graduation. My mom says this brand of clothing has been around for years, and I don't doubt her. Maybe it is because I just turned 40 and am more sensitive to my appearance and the girls aren't what the once were but... What is...

Do I have a case? [ 9 Answers ]

My son and I have same first, middle, and last names. I found in his papers a correspondence from a law firm near Chicago sent to him at his place of employment about court judgements concerning me. They were faxed and on some used work order paper lying around the shop. My son is an auto mechanic....

View more questions Search