Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    melythe Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 16, 2007, 12:19 PM
    Purchased a home w/ bad tenents; I want them out. What to do?
    I just purchased a duplex that has tenents in one unit. They were on a verbal month to month lease with the prior owner. I attempted to serve them 60 day notice of increase in rent. The tenent told me they they would not except or sign the agreement. On top of that they said that they plan on moving in about 3 months and will not pay any more rent in order to save for the move.

P.S. they are terrible tenents. 5-7 family members in a 1 bedroom spt and suspected drug activity.

I don't know what to do! :mad:
    K_2 Posts: 92, Reputation: 5

Nov 16, 2007, 12:33 PM
    Evict them. If it's a month to month lease, you don't have to renew it.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Nov 16, 2007, 12:37 PM
    You shouldn't have bought a home with tenants without knowing what to do. But that's water under the bridge. Since there is no written lease they are on a periodic basis. So you give them notice of one rental period, that you are terminating the lease and they need to be out by X date. At this point in time that's probably 12/31. On Jan 2 if they have not left, then you need to start eviction proceedings according to the rules for your area. You can go down to the local court to find out what these rules are. Generally, you have to serve them with a short term notice to vacate usually 3-7 days. If they still haven't left, then you go to court for an eviction notice. This usually requires a hearing, but at the hearing you will get a court order for the eviction. You then need to hire a sheriff to forcibly remove them.
    LILL Posts: 212, Reputation: 15

Nov 16, 2007, 03:01 PM
    They don't need to sign or accept the agreement... simply post it do their door. If they refuse to pay... post a "pay or quit" notice. If that dosen't get their attention.. proceed with eviction. Also... if you suspect there is illegal activity in the unit, it's in your best interest to call your local police and report it. Plus... I'm sure there are local laws on how many people can legally occupy a 1 bedroom apartment. Getting them out may be easier then they think.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Company and landlord against tenents. [ 1 Answers ]

I'm not sure if anyone can help me here, but I'm going to ask and see. For starters I live in CANADA, so seeing as this is a legal Question and all advice is welcome but if refuring to law... I need CANADIAN law not AMARICAN thanks. :) Lets see, to start with, When looking for a new place to...

Need a new home have BAD credit [ 12 Answers ]

:( Hello I am the mother of 5 wonderful children. We are renting now, it is an old farm house, in the winter our heating bill is around 700 a month (just for the fuel) that's not including the elec. It is drafty and hot in the summer. We are in desperate need of a new home. The problem is we have...

Out from under tenents [ 4 Answers ]

Can a landlord put a rental house up for sale before informing tenets, and ask them to vacate in a week? There is a 9 year old child in school, who will have no home as well. The landlord said he's allowed to do this because he listed this rental house as his main residence. The state is NJ.

Number of Tenents & Rooms [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, Is there any state law in California that I can not rent out a single bedroom house for a family of 4? Appriciate you comments / experiences.

I want him to come home so bad... we both want that [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I live with my b/f. Currently he is in the states visiting friends and family. His best friend died suddenly, my b/f was at his best friends side. He was to come home then(1 month ago) , but his son (20) has come into some hardship (lost his job), so my b/f has been helping him out finanally...

View more questions Search