Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    gkistler59 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 15, 2007, 11:44 AM
    Flip light switch sometimes light does not come on
    Flip switch in stairway light comes on sometimes when switch is turned on the rec room light does not come on. After the switch is in the off position for an hour or so the light comes on when the switch is flipped to the on position.
    Thank you
    Str8cntryboy Posts: 26, Reputation: 2

Nov 15, 2007, 12:02 PM
    I do not understand what it is that you were trying to say , but I will tell you what I do know. There are a few things that it could be .
    1. It might be a bad switch.
    2. It might be a bad fixture.
    3. It might be a bad ground.
    3. It might be that your wires are crossed.
    4. It could be that one switch is piggybacked off another.
    5. It could be that you just have bad wiring.
    If I can think of any thing else I will reply again.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Nov 15, 2007, 01:15 PM
    You could have a combination of problems but I think one issue could be that someone had wired a 3 way switch incorrectly. Lights in stairways frequently are 3 way. Has it always been like this or just after someone installed a new switch or something? If it is not a 3 way check your connections and test the wire with w meter. If everything looks good then it could be the switch or the fixture as the previous person mentioned.
    ceilingfanrepair Posts: 5,733, Reputation: 109
    Uber Member

Nov 15, 2007, 03:48 PM
    Sounds like a bad switch to me.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Light switch issue, Light stays on! [ 8 Answers ]

Im having a problem with a light switch... the light stays on regardless of the position of the switch. I have swaped the switch out with a new one and still have the same problem. The switch controls to recessed lights over a fireplace. In the box on the wall there are several wires: 2 white...

Installing a light kit on a ceiling fan where a switch enables both fan and light [ 2 Answers ]

I have a Hampton Bay ceiling fan with three wires emerging from the top: white, black, red, and green. Presently the white, black, and green are hooked up to a switch and the fan works fine. The red is capped. The fan also has a chain which I intend on keeping on the medium setting indefinitely. ...

Light switch hot then light went off [ 1 Answers ]

We have a standard ugly fluorescent overhead fixture in the kitchen. This morning the light just went off. I went to see if the bulb had burned out and the light switch itself was hot. What could cause this? I had not noticed the switch ever getting hot before. It wasn't really super hot but...

One Switch two lights - the second light furthest away from light won't turn off [ 4 Answers ]

One Switch two lights - the second light furthest away from light won't turn off but the first one does Worked until I swopped the roses. Suspect that didn't do something right when putting them back. Up to now - left bulb out but need to get it to work now.

Light switch won't control light [ 2 Answers ]

I took down a ceiling fan and connected a new chandelier. Very basic white from light to white in ceiling, black from light to black from ceiling, ground to ground. There is also a pink wire from ceiling that I just capped. When I turned the fuse back on the light came on but the wall switches...

View more questions Search