Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    brokenmranch Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 15, 2007, 09:37 AM
    Sewer Water Smell
    We recently had a pipe burst in our bathroom. The plumber ripped up part of the floor, fixed the pipes . The smell was pure sewer gas, we had to vacate the home. They brought in bigt oz machines, etc that smelled just as bad... smell still remains... we have now been in a hotel for two weeks, when you walk in house it now smells like a flooded basement... we have poured two bags of lime into the dirt . No success... we have been told we need to have the dirt excavated . Rip out all remaining floor, tile from walls, dry wall, etc... is this correct or do you have any other suggestions... we cannot go home with this smell.
    doug238 Posts: 1,560, Reputation: 62
    Ultra Member

Nov 15, 2007, 08:53 PM
    Don't laugh, but this works. I have tried it and told many others and it worked for them. We did it for cat urine and nicotine and other odors.
    Here is what I did [and others]. I had a spot where a cat peed, previous tenant did nothing. It was soaked into wooded floor [subfloor] I put a small bowl of about 1 cup of regular vinegar in the room. In 3 days you could smell the vinegar strong. This indicated the other odor was neutralized, and it was. I simply removed the bowl of vinegar and went on.
    kristy1006 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 28, 2009, 12:38 PM

I would get vinager and bleach to pour down the drain of the basement one at a time rise with boiling hot water one at a time never mix both together also if it is water to remove it with a shop vack or a squeeze broom so that the smell and the water is not rotting any wood around the piping or wrecking your basement boreax is another good cleaner I use it for everything it is good and safe to the smell and touch wash your hands after you mess with the chemicals
    Best of luck to you !
    porsche1 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jun 29, 2009, 01:19 AM
    Brokenmranch, Try the product I use , Ecocare Activator. It's the best product to get rid of smells. You should never put bleachs or vinegar down the drains. The reason drains smell and block up is because of the bacteria imbalance caused by putting chemicals down there. Im on septic at my property and since we started using this activator all the drains in our house don't smell or back up anymore. Best part about the activator is you can use it for general cleaning also. Look at their website Insight Environmental
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Jun 29, 2009, 05:34 AM
    brokenmranch,
    If you use Ecocare Activator would you let us know how well it works?

Porsche1, Are you connected to or a distributor of "Ecocare Activator" ?
    porsche1 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jun 29, 2009, 06:48 AM
    No not connected with them. Just used it and found it great.
    Have a go...
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Jun 29, 2009, 07:31 AM
    Anyone using this product please give us some feedback. Thanks Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

All my toilets smell like a sewer! Sewer backed up? [ 4 Answers ]

Hello all, I have a problem and was hoping for some guidance... lately all of my toilets have been smelling really bad. We have 3 toilets in the house, 2 full baths on the upper level, and a powder room on the main. The main bath on the upper level is the worse of the 3. It doesn't get...

Sewer smell [ 1 Answers ]

What would cause a sewer type odor in your bathroom when running the washing machine on the other end of the house, there is not an odor any other time, just when doing the laundry? We are on a septic system.

Sewer smell when washing clothes and metal smell in water [ 1 Answers ]

We just moved in a Lease to own house and after one month there is now a smell of sewer when washing clothes. The smell in the water has been here since day one and we are in the process of testing the well water. Can anyone help? I think we have a septic tank since we are on well water but the...

Sewer smell [ 1 Answers ]

I have a old house that was buit in 1950. When you run the water in the kitchen and bathroom a foul oder comes out of the sink drains. The kitchen and the rest of the plumbing in the house drains fine, I looked down the roof vent and I can see standing water at the bottom of the vent. Both...

Sewer smell in kitchen, wood cabinets smell [ 1 Answers ]

I bought a house that had sewer smells in the kitchen probably for years. I found the problem and fixed the pipe. We gutted the kitchen and the smell is still there. The subfloor has an odor. And I am worried the tongue and groove underneath it might smell also. If we pull up the subfloor,...

View more questions Search