Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    davidchelp Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 15, 2007, 07:39 AM
    Goodman Heater runs 5 sec, 3 cycles and stops
    I have a goodman forced air furnace and it lights up for 5 secs... shuts down... 3 cycles of this and stops. I cleaned the heat rod with NO success and was just wondering if I should buy a new heat rod (where if so) or may it be another issue?
    THanks
    David
    hvac1000 Posts: 14,540, Reputation: 435
    Heating & Air Conditioning Expert

Nov 15, 2007, 01:05 PM
    What heat rod? Are you talking about the sensor?
    davidchelp Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 15, 2007, 04:27 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by hvac1000
    What heat rod? Are you talking about the sensor?
    Yes the sensor rod
    hvac1000 Posts: 14,540, Reputation: 435
    Heating & Air Conditioning Expert

Nov 15, 2007, 06:21 PM
    Usually the heat sensor can be cleaned but I have seen cases where they had to be replaces. Make sure the pilot orifice is clean.

If it wrere me I would replace the sensor and make sure about the pilot orifice.
    T-Top Posts: 1,871, Reputation: 100
    Ultra Member

Nov 15, 2007, 07:11 PM
    You don't have to replace a flame sensor unless the ceramic around the sensor is broke and going to ground. Make sure the sensor or sensor wire is not grounded to the burners or furnace. If you have rust on the spade connection clean it to. Make sure the flame from the burners or pilot is hitting the flame sensor. With the newer furnaces the gas valve common wire also needs to be to equipment ground or the flame sensor will not work.
    kanrdc Posts: 12, Reputation: 1

Dec 14, 2007, 09:02 PM
    If you haven't solved the problem: Goodman/Janitrol is notorious for losing pressure around the gasket of the inducer housing. You can try removing the 5 screws that hold on the inducer motor housing and using some High temp HVAC caulk on the gasket and screw it tightly back on. Unless you have a micro meter you won't detect that the pressure switch is dropping of ever so slightly enough to break the 24v connection and then the gas valve drops off. I have seen this many many times before. If sealing that gasket doesn't work than replace the inducer motor. Good luck

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Goodman Furnace -takes 2 Or 3 Ignition Cycles before Stays Running [ 2 Answers ]

Hi,hope you can help me out.i have a goodman manufacturing forced air furnace that i believe is giving me a warning sign of a future failure.what has happened is in this order,1st one morning the thermostat showed that the furnace was on and it was'nt.turned it off and then back on at the...

Goodman GMPN060-3 Blower Cycles [ 2 Answers ]

I have been in my house for 5 years when the thermostat calls for heat, the inducer blower comes on and almost immediately I hear the pressure switch click and then the relay on the main board clicks and the inducer blower goes off. This happens over and over for a couple of minutes and finally...

Goodman furnace cycles but does not reach set temp [ 2 Answers ]

I have a Goodman 70,000 BTU, up flow gas furnace (GMV950704CXA) with a Honeywell (RTH 7500D) thermostat installed, November 2006. The unit worked fine until outside temperature went into the 20s. Unit fires and goes through normal sequence and runs for approximately 7 minutes, then cycles down...

Gas furnace runs two cycles [ 1 Answers ]

My gas furnace is approx. 30 years old. The furnace will run one cycle, shut off and approx. 15 seconds later run again for a shorter period. Everything is working properly, heating correctly etc. but runs two cycles. Any thoughts on why?

View more questions Search