Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    sonnyroll Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 14, 2007, 07:50 AM
    Shut off valve & water heater
    Hi guys.
    Excuse my ignorance in this matter in advance.
    I need to connect a dishwasher to the hot water pipe that goes to my kitchen faucet. I went to Home Depot and got a "connection" for dishwasher. All was OK until I tried to turn off the shut off valve. After doing that, hot water was still running and there was no way to stop it. So, my questions are... Can I connect the compression "connector" with the water running. If not, and if I need to shut off the hot water at the inlet valve in the water heather, should I turn off the water heater before turning off the valve.
    If someone could provide a detail on how to proceed in this case, it will be greatly appreciated.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Nov 14, 2007, 08:36 AM
    Do not try to install your coonector with the water still on. If the stop cock under the sink is bad go to the incoming water for the water heater and locate a shut off. If no shut off at the heater then shut down the main for the entire house to do repairs. Once either shut off is closed open a faucet somewhere to blow off pressure and make your connection. Replace the bad stop cock at the same time, about $6.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Nov 14, 2007, 08:37 AM
    Can I connect the compression "connector" with the water running.
    Not unless you're looking to flood the kitchen.
    In the hot water system you have two shutoffs that will work. The shut off on the coldwater supply to the heater and the house shut off. You do not have to shut the power off to the heater unless you're draining the heater. Good luck, Tom
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Nov 14, 2007, 08:44 AM
    It's always best practice to turn off the water heater when turning off the water. If electric it's a simple matter of turning off the breaker. If gas, turning the control to pilot.

Turning off just the inlet to the hot water tank may or may not turn off the water completely. It won't in my house. The lines should be drained at the lowest point and the faucets opened at the highest point to let in some air. Keep a hot water tap open when the water is off for expansion.

If your successful in being able to turn the hot completely off, DO NOT USE ANY WATER in the house for the duration of the repair. Opening a faucet with an integral hot/cold mixing valve will introduce water where you just disconnected the hot.

While your at it, try to repair/replace the shut off valve. It's probably just a washer. If you take the entire stem to a real hardware store, if you can find one, they may size, remove and install a washer free. You pay for parts.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Surging water pressure & leaking water heater relief valve [ 19 Answers ]

Just recently the pressure of our water in the house surges when we turn a faucet on, and the city water company verified that our pressure in the house when we open a faucet is higher than the pressure in the lines in the street, and after the water runs is at a normal pressure (meaning their...

Can one shut off water main valve but leave gas hot water tank on? [ 4 Answers ]

I would like to know if I go away for two days and shut my main water shutoff valve can I leave my gas hot water tank on. I saw two answers To a similar question and one answer said you can leave it on and the other Said you had to shut it off. I am confused now as to whether I can leave the gas...

Hot water shut off valve and main water line [ 8 Answers ]

I was in my way to replace faucet for basin, but my local hot water shut off valve is not working. So now I have to shut off water supply from main line. Where would that be? I have old house and my water meter is out side. Also how to change shut off valve?

Water Shut-off Valve [ 1 Answers ]

I am attempting to replace the valve supplying water to the toilet water tank, but am unable to unscrew it. It turns, but it does not come off. What can I do? Need help ASAP! Thank you!

Tube from the water shut off valve [ 1 Answers ]

My husband was turning off the water to the toilet while trying to fix something and the tube FROM the shut off valve TO the toilet tank broke. How can this be fixed by an amateur? Please help, we have 6 people in the house with one working toilet! Thanks!

View more questions Search