Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    plow88 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 13, 2007, 04:20 PM
    Leaving Puppy alone during school.
    I am supposed to be getting a puppy here in 2 weeks and I don't know if I should. No one is home from about 8-3:30. I have a place to keep it during this time but would it be wise to do it for that long.
    katieperez Posts: 236, Reputation: 35

Nov 13, 2007, 04:25 PM
    How old is the puppy? Will someone like a neighbor, friend, or family member be able to give the pup a mid day potty break? If it is a young puppy, and no noe can let him out mid day, then you're right, it would not be wise to get a puppy.
    macksmom Posts: 1,787, Reputation: 152
    Ultra Member

Nov 13, 2007, 04:34 PM
    You definitely want to have some free time when you first bring your puppy home. You want to spend time with it, get it used to its surroundings, and work on potty training.

Like Katie said, if no one can stop in for a potty break, its probably not a good time.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Nov 13, 2007, 04:41 PM
    I have never had a problem with leaving even a 7 week old puppy 4-5 hours, but I am afraid almost 8 hours is asking too much of a puppy. If you can't find a neighbor or professional dog walker to give it a mid day break, relief, a meal, some play, and just a break from being by itself, you better forget getting a puppy. I would hate to even see an older dog go that long. Of course, an older dog could be left at a doggy day care.
    DogLover62 Posts: 34, Reputation: -1

Nov 20, 2007, 03:22 PM
    Well I agree. Spend some time with it. But if you are uncomfortable leaving it in the house while no one is home than you should build a kennel type thing with a fence around a piece of yard and a dog house so then she has place to run and do her business also sleep and be sheltered. Also put out food and water so it won't be hungry. Or get 2 dogs so they can keep each other company while your gone.
    That is what I do with my dog when no one is home. Just make sure you spend lots of time with the puppy or it may start to feel ignored. - don't quote me on all this- just someone trying to be helpful.

DogLover62
    shygrneyzs Posts: 5,017, Reputation: 936
    Uber Member

Nov 20, 2007, 03:27 PM
    When my oldest son first wanted a puppy, he was 10 at the time, we said no puppy until Summer. When our son was home and able to interact with the puppy and take care of it. Puppies are a handful - they deserve the attention they want and to leave them be all day by themselves is cruel. We did build a dog run that went all along the backyard fence that connected into the kennel. So when the pup was a bit older and more secure, he had a play to be that was safe for him.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Night school for high school-aged people [ 15 Answers ]

I heard about there being night school for high school kids. In fact, I think a friend of a friend went to night school when I was in jr. high. I've searched Google, and can't find any listings or info for night schools in PA. Does anyone know if they exist for high schoolers, and where I could...

Home school vs. Public school? [ 53 Answers ]

My husband and I have decided to home school our children because we do not feel that the public education systems are very good these days. When we were in public school the teachers spent more time trying to control and disipline the class or individual students then they spent teaching. I also...

Leaving my puppy in the car [ 9 Answers ]

Can I leave my puppy in the car while I go into the store even if it takes me an hour to finish. Or is that too long

Leaving puppy home alone problem! [ 2 Answers ]

Well, so far my puppy has had no more accidents in the house, and sleeps in a crate at night now. When I say "Time for bed, go lay down, go to sleep" she automatically goes into her crate on her own and lays down and goes right to bed, and usually doesn't wake up to go outside until morning. She...

Leaving puppy at home alone [ 6 Answers ]

I have a new Chihuahua puppy who is only 5 1/2 weeks old. How do I leave him alone for a few hours while I am working or running errands? I have read to only leave a puppy alone for an hour or two at a time, but I have to be gone for longer periods sometimes. I take him to work with me right now...

View more questions Search