Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    kindj Posts: 253, Reputation: 105

Nov 15, 2007, 08:36 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Choux
    Kinji,

You think too much about what I say and do, and not enough about your faults and shortcomings.

Work on yourself, dude.

Actually, I constantly think about my own faults and shortcomings, and it doesn't take much research of past posts to find many admissions of my own personal failings.

I am a work in progress, and readily admit to being so.

Thus the difference.
    Soldout Posts: 62, Reputation: 8
    -

Nov 15, 2007, 10:39 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Choux
    It is a movie/book about COURAGE, so I guess that courage is anti-Christian.

I read on a site that it is encouraged that teachers recommend that students read Genesis as preparation for discussing this book in class. Why don't you Google the title of the movie/book and read all about it so you know what you are talking about? Then, continue the discussion....
    There are an infinate number of movies about courage christians will go see but it is the about what the underlying subtext is all about. It seems like this guy is just trying to present another side of The Chronicles which is fine with me but I am not going to pay my money to support that. I watch secular movies but I will not support a movie that is anti-God. Nope.
    fallen2grace Posts: 199, Reputation: 4

Nov 15, 2007, 03:53 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by jillianleab
    Based on what you've heard, fallen, have you decided if you will or will not see the movie?

I hadn't heard he hates C.S. Lewis; I had just heard people compare him to C.S. Lewis and say they are opposites. I'm not saying your info is wrong, just that it is different to what I had heard, btw.

I don't think it would influence my desicison much. Maybe a bit. But I haven't heard a lot about it. I don't think I want to see it. It doesn't really appeal to me.
    inthebox Posts: 787, Reputation: 179

Nov 16, 2007, 12:28 AM
    Townhall.com::The Golden Compass Has no Moral Compass::By Matt Barber

Family and I actually don't go to the movies that much. Not with the plasma, home theater, rental dvds available.

I had not heard of this movie until scanning the news.

From the linked article and the direct quotes taken from the movie, I will spend my time and money doing something else, like maybe watching this

Welcome to Bellathemovie.com : Home of Bella, Winner of the People's Choice Award at Toronto Film Festival
    jillianleab Posts: 1,194, Reputation: 279
    Ultra Member

Nov 16, 2007, 08:08 AM
    Thanks for the link, inthebox; I hadn't seen that article. I disagree with some of the conclusions the author has made, but from the quotes, if they are in fact from the movie (since it's not out we don't know 100% but I'm assuming they are correct), I can see why there is opposition to the film.

Nov 16, 2007, 11:58 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by inthebox
    Townhall.com::The Golden Compass Has no Moral Compass::By Matt Barber

Family and I actually don't go to the movies that much. Not with the plasma, home theater, rental dvds available.

I had not heard of this movie until scanning the news.

From the linked article and the direct quotes taken from the movie, I will spend my time and money doing something else, like maybe watching this

Welcome to Bellathemovie.com : Home of Bella, Winner of the People's Choice Award at Toronto Film Festival

Wow. I had no idea. This has taught me a lesson. To research whatever I watch. 0_0
    Tuscany Posts: 1,049, Reputation: 229
    Ultra Member

Nov 16, 2007, 12:09 PM
    Are you all aware that the Golden Compass is also a novel that is taught in many schools?

I do not want to chose a side on this, just wanted to make you aware.

Nov 16, 2007, 12:11 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Tuscany
    Are you all aware that the Golden Compass is also a novel that is taught in many schools?

I do not want to chose a side on this, just wanted to make you aware.

Really? I didn't know that.
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Nov 16, 2007, 12:13 PM
    Well in The Ten Commandments can hit the big screen without fanfare then surely this can to.
    Ultra Member

Nov 16, 2007, 12:32 PM
    Club's new fall book: 'The Golden Compass' - Al's Book Club - MSNBC.com

Here is one link
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Nov 16, 2007, 12:34 PM
    Good link Tuscany, within the article is an interview that fits perfectly with this thread: Pullman not promoting atheism in 'Golden Compass' - Al's Book Club - MSNBC.com
    Ultra Member

Nov 16, 2007, 12:35 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by NeedKarma
    Good link Tuscany, within the article is an interview that fits perfectly with this thread: Pullman not promoting atheism in 'Golden Compass' - Al's Book Club - MSNBC.com

I saw that ;)
    inthebox Posts: 787, Reputation: 179

Nov 16, 2007, 09:46 PM
    Thanks for the link, inthebox; I hadn't seen that article. I disagree with some of the conclusions the author has made, but from the quotes, if they are in fact from the movie (since it's not out we don't know 100% but I'm assuming they are correct), I can see why there is opposition to the film.
    I remember back in the 90s I took a date to see "The Crying Game," and since that time, I try to find out what a movie is about before I just go see it. ;)
    Mylittlesunshyne Posts: 60, Reputation: 5

Nov 19, 2007, 08:59 PM
    Exactly , it's just ridiculous, in my rating of my answer you said that your kids love harry Potter, Well, I'm 14 and my dad, my brother, and I all love Harry Potter, and personally I think it probably teaches the best morals in any movie that I've watched.
    Mylittlesunshyne Posts: 60, Reputation: 5

Nov 19, 2007, 09:01 PM
    This whole thing the Church is doing, is a little bit whacky, the whole thing about Harry Potter encouraging witchcraft, or using it to hurt others is ridiculous. I don't agree with it at all.
    stardust713 Posts: 334, Reputation: 65

Dec 11, 2007, 05:15 PM
    There's a discussion about this going on on the Movies Board too. I don't want to repeat what I've already said there but if anyone cares to take a look at the viewpoints being discussed over there here's the link
    De Maria Posts: 1,359, Reputation: 52
    Ultra Member

Dec 11, 2007, 06:47 PM
    In early December a movie called "The Golden Compass" is being released in the US (it's under different titles in other countries, I believe). From what I understand there has been an uproar because this movie "promotes atheism" in some way. Apparently a lot of Christians are boycotting the movie because they feel it is "anti-Christian".
    As I understand, they call for the boycott because the books promote atheism. The movie itself does not. I've never read the books nor seen the movie so I don't know.

Have any of you heard of this movie?
    Who hasn't? The trailers are pretty awesome.

Are you boycotting it, or do you not care?
    Since I don't want to promote atheism, I will follow the course we have followed in the past with this type of material.

1. We won't go to the theatre at full price.
    2. If we go at all, we'll go to the dollar movies to see it.
    3. But more than likely, we'll wait for the movie to go to the "used" market.
    4. My wife and I will view it with the kids to make sure we answer any questions it brings up.
    5. We'll probably forgo the books based on the Christian reviews.

What does that accomplish? It minimizes the profit that the company makes for the movie.

What exactly is so "wrong" with the movie, that there is the need to boycott?
    I don't remember anyone mentioning anything wrong with the movie. But all the sources I encountered considered the books a treatise against organized religion. The books written by this author have a strange title also, "His Dark Materials".

Which supposedly comes from this poem:

... His dark materials to create more Worlds,
    Into this wilde Abyss the warie fiend
    Stood on the brink of Hell and look'd a while,
    Pondering his Voyage...
    His Dark Materials - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I've done a little web research, but nothing I've read seems to come out and say what the specific objection to the film is; just that the movie is "anti-Christian". I know the writer of the books the film is based on is a professed atheist; is that the primary objection?
    No. The primary objection is that the books are anti-Christian.

I'm not trying to cause a fight, or say the film should/should not be boycotted - I'm just genuinely confused as to what the fuss is all about.
    Ok

Here's a link to the movie on imdb, for anyone who hasn't heard about it: The Golden Compass (2007)

Thanks in advance to anyone who provides an answer.
    You're welcome.

Sincerely,

De Maria
    Lacey5765 Posts: 157, Reputation: 50

Dec 18, 2007, 12:03 PM
    I read the following article this week and decided not to take my children. I have to admit I loved the Harry Potter series and supported them but I will not support anyone who openly opposes Christianity. With that being said, it may a good story but I won't add my money to the pocket of anyone who is trying to turn the hearts of our children from God.

"With good reason, Christian groups are claiming that this is a pro-atheist stealth campaign, disguised as a fantasy film.

Pullman himself has always been open about his beliefs, or I should say non-beliefs, and his reasons for writing the children's novels. He has said in press interviews that “His Dark Materials” books are in response to C. S. Lewis' “The Chronicles of Narnia” written by Lewis to teach Christian ideals to children: “I loathe the 'Narnia' books; I hate them with a deep and bitter passion...”

He has called the series “one of the most ugly and poisonous things” he has ever read. (As quoted in FoxNews.com article of Oct. 29, 2007 by Catherine Donaldson-Evans)

The film is the story of a girl named Lyra from Oxford, England, who travels to the edge of another universe and becomes caught in a battle between good and evil. But the evil organization in the book is the church, and in the movie it is the Magisterium, a term for Roman Catholic authority to teach doctrine. While director Chris Weitz said he had to cut some controversial religious material from the first film for commercial reasons, he plans to be truer to the books in upcoming films.

In the third book of the Pullman series, the children essentially kill God. The worry that permeates parents who are concerned about The Golden Compass is that the film is insidious, that while the director cleansed the first film to lure viewers, children will want to read the books, which are overtly hostile to religion.

Young minds are vulnerable, and Pullman seems to have an aggressive idea about how to affect the rising generation."
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Dec 25, 2007, 09:26 AM
    Yes, the it is a fact that the author of the movie has stated his purpose is to get rid of Christianity, and in doing to kill god.

I am just shocked that every denomination of christian has not banned and not instructed their members not to see this movie.

If there is that many christians in the US, this movie would and should be a flop and movie places take it oiut since they are losing money.

Christians need to control what "THEY" watch and do, to support opening anti christian activities is a disgrace.
    asking Posts: 2,673, Reputation: 660
    Ultra Member

Dec 27, 2007, 08:31 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Fr_Chuck
    Yes, the it is a fact that the autor of the movie has stated his purpose is to get rid of Christianity, and in doing to kill god.
    Do you have a link for the actual quote showing where he said this--to a reporter or interviewer for a real news outlet? I haven't been able to find him saying anything this strong and I read in one place that he never said it; that it's just rumor forwarded by mass emails and then posted on some religious sites. At Pullman's own website, the strongest thing I can find is him saying is he doesn't know if there's a God or not and, also, that he thinks God might be ashamed of some of the things that his followers sometimes do in his name (like terrorism, I guess). (I haven't seen the film or read any of the books... )

Thanks,
    Asking

Here's his website:
    http://www.philip-pullman.com/about_the_writing.asp

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Calibrating an Airguide auto compass [ 8 Answers ]

I have an Airguide compass for my car but have lost the instructions. How do you set it up. It is the basic model with suction cups and a round globe on a square base

Marine compass [ 1 Answers ]

What kind of oil in a compass

New Golden [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, my boyfriend and I are getting a new golden retriever puppy in the next couple weeks. The breeder said that we can come and get her anytime after she is 7 weeks old. I have heard that taking a puppy from its mother in the 7th week can be bad. Should we wait until 8 weeks or is it okay to...

View more questions Search