Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ridley04 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Nov 22, 2005, 04:53 AM
    No Cold Water Coming Form Bath
    Hi I recently drained my water tank to change some kitchen taps. When I reopened all the stop valves I found I have hot water running fine but cold only from kitchen and sink in bathroom and non from bath. A friend thinks I my have an air lock somewhere is this the case or something else thanks for help in advance.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Nov 22, 2005, 08:31 AM
    Good morning Redley,

" a friend thinks i my have an air lock somewhere is this the case or something else"

It's more likely that you have disturbed the mineral build up in the bottom of the tank and some has got sucked into your hot water system. Since there is constant pressure from the water heater a air lock is impossible.
    You must shut the water off to the faucets affected and open t6hem up and clean the crud out of them. Before you reassemble them turn the water back on for a minute to flush the supplies. Since all this happened because you don't flush your heater on a regular maintenance schedule let me show you how.
    If you do not flush,(not drain) your heater on a regular basis it will build up mineral on the bottom of the tank. Attach a hose to the boiler drain at the bottom of the tank. With the pressure on, open the boiler drain and let it run until the water runs clear. You will see a spurt of red,(rust) and some white grains,(lime or calcium carbonate). The whole thing shouldn't take more then a few minutes. Don't forget to flush it out every month. Your heater will thank you for it. You might want to consider cleaning the screens on your areators if you have a high mineral buildup. If thev problem still persists after you have flushed, you will have to drain the heater, remove the boiler drain and go up in the bottom of the tank with a wood or plastic rod, (not metal) and try to break up the mineral and flush it out. Good luck, Tom

Nov 23, 2005, 03:36 AM
    Which tank
    Thanks for taking time to help , but I'm not sure which tank to flush, the system I have is a boiler on kitchen wall then an insulated tank in a cupboard in bathroom and also more tanks in loft.I have loosened the pipes off from under the tap what dose not work and there is water there but no pressure pushing it through. Sorry for being so dumb :(

Nov 23, 2005, 05:50 AM
    Tank in cupboard
    There is a drain point a few inches from the bottom of the tank in the cupboard, I have opened it for about a minute but only clear water came out is this the right point and am I doing something else wrong
    Eternal Plumber

Nov 23, 2005, 04:05 PM
    Since you don't have a water heater and I'm not familiar with your hot water system let's get you back in business. You'll have to open up each faucet and clean out the crud from the cold water seat if a two knob faucet or the cold water inlet port in the cartridge if a one handle faucet. Good luck, Tom

Nov 24, 2005, 07:43 AM
    Update
    Right I ll just update you to where I'm at, the water for the bath cold tap comes straight from a tank in the loft. This is the only pipe coming from the tank and is just a agravity feed, I've drained the tank and fed water through the pipes with a hose pipe and water flows through OK with the pressure from it. When I put every thing back together I still get only a trickle any ideas as to why thanks.
    Eternal Plumber

Nov 24, 2005, 11:03 AM
    "ive drained the tank and fed water through the pipes with a hose pipe and water flows through ok with the pressure from it. when i put every thing back together i still get only a trickle any ideas as to why thanks."
    Now that's downright weird! There's no doubt in my mind that there's a blockage. If I were there I would figure out a way to attach the hose to the spout on the tub. I would then drain the tank, open the cold water tap, turn on the hose and see what came out in the tank by back flushing the system.
    Let me know, Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Hot water coming from cold water tap [ 15 Answers ]

Hot water is coming from 2 cold water taps and one upstairs toilet, turns to cold after 15-20 seconds, it comes out very hot. Thought it might be Bleeding through faucets, so changed laundry tub and kitchen faucett. Still does it. The cold pipes seem to get hot from near the water tank. The dip...

Brand new water heater: Starts hot, then water gets cold after few seconds [ 9 Answers ]

We just moved into a brand new condo which has its own water heater. We went to take a shower this morning and the first few seconds of the shower were very hot, then it went cold after 10 seconds. We tried again after half an hour, same thing. There was enough hot water for my husband to shave but...

Hot water venting into cold water tank [ 7 Answers ]

Hello, I posted my query here a while back but unfortunately it appears to have been left to fester :confused: (query was hot water from cold water tap). After a couple more visits by a plumber, his view is that the hot water tank is overheating, venting hot water into the cold water tank at the...

Water coming up from shower on slab [ 5 Answers ]

We installed a shower drain on a slab via punching a hole in the slab that sits at ground level. The room already had a tiolet. We backfilled the hole and addded cement, but water is seeping up through the cement patch. Any suggestions?

Water supply for new bath [ 10 Answers ]

Tom, I'm beginning to work on my water supply lines and have gotten most of the materials. I wanted to know if I should be concerned with backflow devices of any sort? Also, the plummer at H.D. told me that the male adapters that would connect my copper pipe to my shower faucet would not...

View more questions Search