Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    chevyimpalaconv Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Nov 12, 2007, 02:23 PM
    100Amp disconnect panel before 100Amp main pannel
    I would like to relocate my main 100Amp panel to the inside wall of my garage.
    Code saids the main panel must be on an outside wall. What I was thinking of doing
    Is install a New Main panel on the inside wall of the garage and put a 100Amp disconnect at the old panel location. I am aware of needing isolated Ground on the New Main, I believe the
    Ground are all tied together at the 100Amp disconnect. The New Main panel has a 100Amp main in it,there would also be a 100Amp main on the Disconnect?

Any thoughts on the this?

The old main is not a good place to get at in the garage, It is also a Federal Pacific panel with 20+ breakers and no main disconnect. It is the way the house was build. All copper wire in house.
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Nov 13, 2007, 08:14 PM
    I would do it.
    Washington1 Posts: 798, Reputation: 36

Nov 13, 2007, 10:37 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by chevyimpalaconv
    I would like to relocate my main 100Amp panel to the inside wall of my garage.
    Code saids the main panel must be on an outside wall. What I was thinking of doing
    is install a New Main panel on the inside wall of the garage and put a 100Amp disconnect at the old panel location. I am aware of needing isolated Ground on the New Main, I believe the
    ground are all tied together at the 100Amp disconnect. The New Main panel has a 100Amp main in it,there would also be a 100Amp main on the Disconnect?

Any thoughts on the this?

The old main is not a good place to get at in the garage, It is also a Federal Pacific panel with 20+ breakers and no main disconnect. It is the way the house was build. All copper wire in house.
    -When you say code states that the panel must be on the outside wall, are you referring to a local code? NEC states that a service can be located inside or outside a building or structure--near as possible to the point of entrance of the service conductors (See NEC 230.70(A)(1)

-A 100 amp disconnect works fine, but a waste of money if your local code doesn't require the main service disconnect outside.

-Yes, at your main disconnect or service rated device, you will have all grounds tied together. You will separate the grounded (Neutral) conductor from the grounding conductors at your sub.

-Good thing you have copper. When you say the old main is hard to get too. What do you mean? If you plan to install a new panel, then you must keep in mind your equipments work space. ***Note: Some AHJ will allow you to place a new panel in a space that doesn't fully meet the work space requirements, due to existing reasons. (example: structral)

[RATE MY ANSWER]

Nov 14, 2007, 07:17 AM
    Comment on Stratmando's post
    To the point.

Nov 14, 2007, 07:25 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Washington1
    -When you say code states that the panel must be on the outside wall, are you refering to a local code? NEC states that a service can be located inside or outside a building or structure--near as possible to the point of entrance of the service conductors (See NEC 230.70(A)(1)

-A 100 amp disconnect works fine, but a waste of money if your local code doesn't require the main service disconnect outside.

-Yes, at your main disconnect or service rated device, you will have all grounds tied together. You will separate the grounded (Neutral) conductor from the grounding conductors at your sub.

-Good thing you have copper. When you say the old main is hard to get too. What do you mean? If you plan to install a new panel, then you must keep in mind your equipments work space. ***Note: Some AHJ will allow you to place a new panel in a space that doesn't fully meet the work space requirements, due to existing reasons. (example: structral)

[RATE MY ANSWER]
    Thanks for your input. The on main panel is in the back corner of the garage. If I move the panel it is a little more accessible, not muck but all the wires will fit with out having to extending any of them.
    Thanks again for the nice answer. I think I will drive a new ground rod while I'm at it, there is a ground on the old panel but I'm not sure where it goes to ground. The closest water pipe is 20 feet away.
    Thanks again.
    Washington1 Posts: 798, Reputation: 36

Nov 14, 2007, 06:44 PM
    Wow!
    I rest!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Difference between Main Lug and Main Breaker Panel [ 8 Answers ]

What is the difference between a Main Breaker Panel and a Main Lug Panel and can either be used in new residential construction.

Breaker size in main panel to support sub panel? [ 7 Answers ]

Hello, I am wiring a sub-panel to the outside of my home (50 feet from main 200 amp box). I ran 3 wire - 6 gauge. What is the largest 2 pole breaker I can put in the main panel to supply the sub-panel. TYPE NM-B 6-3 WITH GROUND 600 VOLTS CIRTEX-I EZ-STRIP (R) PLUS 17:11 2/5/07 SB/RC ...

100amp and 50amp subpanels [ 4 Answers ]

I am looking into installing 2 sub panels. The reason for this is the location of the current box in a finished room, with a finished ceiling. And the rest of the basement is NOT finished, and I don't want to mess with running a bunch of stuff through a finished ceiling. So I figured I would run...

Main breaker and main disconnect [ 2 Answers ]

What I have is a home built in 1960 moved in 2 years it had a meter hanging from the rear of house with no main, 240v 50amp circuit to stove, 240 30amp to dryer, 5 breakers for the rest of house 1 20amp and 4 15amp. What my plan is to replace the meter housing and put a g.e. 200amp Disconnect on...

Might scrap 200amp upgrade and go with a bigger 100amp panel [ 10 Answers ]

Hey all! Reading all the posts about 200amp panels and the costs is making my head hurt along with my wallet. I think I will just have the existing 100 swapped out for a larger panel... say a 30/30 100amp (or are there larger ones? ). I live in a 77+ year old house with some older knob&tube...

View more questions Search