Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    emoXpixxie Posts: 43, Reputation: 2

Nov 12, 2007, 08:58 AM
    Anorexic Friend
    Hey, I think my friend might be anorexic. She is 13 years old and about four foot 5 inches or so and only weighs 4 stone 5 pounds. She never eats lunch at school and if I ask her what she ate for breakfast she says nothing. I'm not sure about what she eats at home but I don't think she eats much, if anything. She told my other friend that she thinks she is really fat and that her hips are huge, when in reality they measure about 20-22 inches, if that. She is convinced she doesn't need help, and this has been going on for approx. a year. I am incredibly worried because I know anorexia is a mental disease that is hard to fight and kills a lot of teens, and I would really like some advice on how to help her. We told our school nurse but we are not quite sure what to do. I drop subtle hints sometimes, like if she says she's cold, I say, "Thats because there's nothing of you, nothing to keep you warm." Or if I pick her up I tell her she's really light, you know stuff like that. Is this a good thing to do? I would really appreciate anyone's advice on how I can help her. Thank you very much.
    charlotte234s Posts: 1,903, Reputation: 143
    Ultra Member

Nov 12, 2007, 10:00 AM
    If I were you. I'd say the smart thing to do is go and talk to a counselor, even just one at your school, about her, or maybe even her parents, and they will be able to determine if she has an eating disorder and get her help if she needs it.

If she becomes angry that you talked to someone about her, don't worry, you are doing the right thing and she will realize that soon.

Nov 12, 2007, 10:07 AM
    Thank you so much! I really apreciate the advice and all her friends are starting to notice and we are trying to help, and like I said we told the nurse and she told the gym teachers and they are talking about anorexia in PE now so maybe we can convince her she needs help. Hopefully she can get help soon. Thank you once again!
    charlotte234s Posts: 1,903, Reputation: 143
    Ultra Member

Nov 12, 2007, 12:46 PM
    Welcome! Good luck to you and please do help your friend, that's important!
    Mylittlesunshyne Posts: 60, Reputation: 5

Nov 13, 2007, 08:25 PM
    You know what's funny... there was just a girl at my school , who was like that, she actually over dossed, and told me about it on MSN, I called the police. It's actually really really surprising, because you basically described her, She always used to talk about how fat she was, even though she wasn't, and yes, your friend definitely is anorexcic

Nov 14, 2007, 11:49 AM
    Your friend over dosed on anorexia? Anway, we talked to the teachers about it and they said they were 90% sure she wasn't, but one of our Gym teachers thinks she is. We are continuing to keep an eye on her though, and one of my friends mums told the girls mum what's happening, but she refuses to believe, so we don't know what to do about that. Thanks for the advice.
    samonmars Posts: 16, Reputation: 2

Nov 23, 2007, 10:33 PM
    Well, it's really really gard for people to face that, so maybe go to an actual doctor not the school nurse and talk about what's happeing and stuff..

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Almost Anorexic [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, Please bare with me, this is going to be long but please take the time to read. Well ever since I could remember people have looked at me and said, "Girl you are so skinny! Go eat!" In addition, I would eat. Not a lot I admit, I had the habit of only eating when I felt hungry. I wasn't...

Fat or anorexic? [ 5 Answers ]

OK so my whole family thinks I'm turning into an anorexic. Because I always say I'm fat. And that true I always feel fat. I'm 127 and 5,5 but I have a lot of leg muscle. So anyway they all think I'm anorexic cause I always say I'm fat and I go on healthy diets all the time and every time I eat...

5 yr old max turns anorexic [ 7 Answers ]

My lovely boy max, a retreiver, threwup all his dinner, (dry food loved by him for 5 yrs) 10 days ago and has refused to eat ANYTHING since. On days 2 and 3 he brought up watery bile.. yes stomach empty, however drinking plenty and short bursts of energy, thought he may have a 'bug' and waited for...

Am I anorexic? [ 4 Answers ]

Well I'm apparntly the perfect weight for my height but recently I've stopped eating much at meals and skipping breakfast, I snack a little, but I'm feeling constantly hungry. I'm really worried because I was told that these are the first signs of anorexia

Friend poached another friend! Advice? [ 11 Answers ]

I had never had this feeling before, but last summer I felt like one of my friends was poaching another, as in they were going to be friends with each other INSTEAD of me, not in addition to me. A series of events happened in a few days (friend #1 supposed to come early to help with my...

View more questions Search