Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    badboy560 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 11, 2007, 09:54 AM
    Car will not come out of park
    I have a 87 thunderbird that will not shift out of park even when the brake peddle is depressed.how do I get it to shift?
    margog85 Posts: 241, Reputation: 19

Nov 11, 2007, 09:19 PM
    I'm not a car expert- but I had a similar problem. Apparently there's some kind of latch or switch connected to the brake that allows you to shift- mine snapped and broke off, and I wasn't able to shift out of park. Fooled around with it for a LONG while and somehow it went into drive and I took it straight to the shop- fixed it pretty quickly. Not sure of the cost to fix though, I still had a warranty on my car when it happened, and got it fixed inexpensively.
    Hope that helps!
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Nov 11, 2007, 09:37 PM
    I had the same or similar problem this past month. It was the safety neutral switch wore out and wasn't connecting the shifter with the ignition. If you can't find a mechanic to come to your house to fix it you may have to get it towed to a garage on a flat bed.
    Due to knucklehead mechanic complications, I had to replace my whole steering column and it cost 150. For a column from the junk yard and 60. To the guy I had come and fix it.
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Nov 11, 2007, 10:14 PM
    When I was about 16, I did a bad thing. I put the car in park when it was still moving. I chipped a tooth on the parking ratchet. I never knew when it would jam. Usually rocking the car got it free. One time, I had to get out the bumper jack to release the tension. Those were the days.

Modern cars have a little cap near the shifter. If you remove the cap, you can release the car out of park with a screwdriver.
    glennmarilyn Posts: 2, Reputation: 2

Nov 12, 2007, 04:12 PM
    Hi the first thing you need to check do you have brake lights? If the brake lights are out or no battery charge the release switch will not allow the automobile to come out of park...

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

2003 Honda Accord-can not get car out of park [ 3 Answers ]

I tried to engage the transmission and can not get the car out of park. The shifter appears to be locked. The steering wheel is not locked and the car can be started. Any suggestions?

Still ca't get car to shift out of park [ 1 Answers ]

I believe I installed the Brake Light Switch properly; however when I touch the brake pedal I get no brake lights at all. I still can't get the shifter out of park also. I got a spark when I tried to splice together the wires for the new switch I installed; so tomorrow I intend to check my fuses....

Still ca't get car to shift out of park [ 2 Answers ]

I believe I installed the Brake Light Switch properly; however when I touch the brake pedal I get no brake lights at all. I still can't get the shifter out of park also. I got a spark when I tried to splice together the wires for the new switch I installed; so tomorrow I intend to check my fuses....

The car starts, but is stuck in park... [ 3 Answers ]

It's a toyota corolla... And the car turns on and everything, but it's like stuck in park, and you can't put it in reverse or drive... Anyone know what the heck is going on here?? :confused: :confused:

View more questions Search