Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tnsunshine Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 6, 2007, 08:23 PM
    Child support at 18
    My ex husband is saying that as soon as the girls turn 18, he will stop child support. We live in TN. I have the feeling that I would receive child support until they finished school. If this is so, would it be till they finish High School, which would be 7 months after they turn 18. Or will he have to continue to pay child support while they are in college, if they are legally living with me.
    jessa1200 Posts: 13, Reputation: 1

Nov 6, 2007, 08:31 PM
    Depending on the state I am almost positive most states it is until the child graduates high school. In some states they do have laws where if the child goes to college and lives with the custodial parent then the other parent must pay child support until they finish but that is something you would have to ask you family courts office. They would know for sure..
    macksmom Posts: 1,787, Reputation: 152
    Ultra Member

Nov 7, 2007, 06:10 AM
    You would have to check the laws in the state you live concerning college, because that differs state to state.

In Ohio... child support continues throughout high school... beyond 18 if necessary.
    bryden1401 Posts: 13, Reputation: 2

Nov 7, 2007, 06:18 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by tnsunshine
    My ex husband is saying that as soon as the girls turn 18, he will stop child support. We live in TN. I have the feeling that I would receive child support until they finished school. If this is so, would it be till they finish High School, which would be 7 months after they turn 18. Or will he have to continue to pay child support while they are in college, if they are legally living with me.
    Every state is different and you need to look carefully at your papers. Like ours states when the child turns 18 support will stop. Call your local office and see what they say.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Nov 7, 2007, 07:05 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by tnsunshine
    I have the feeling that I would receive child support until they finished school.
    This is not a matter of "feeling", this is a matter of what your support agreement says. Trot out the papers and read them. You will find its written in there. In the unlikely absence of the support agreement not specifying this, then the general rule is 18 or graduation from high school, whichever comes later.
    Foxy459459 Posts: 368, Reputation: 36

Nov 7, 2007, 07:18 AM
    I live in NYS and the law here is child support must be paid unil the child is 18, or if they are in college up until they are 22 as long as they are in school and still live with the mother. I would do some reasurch on it or you can just call your county court and they will be able to tell you...
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Nov 7, 2007, 07:21 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Foxy459459
    I live in NYS and the law here is child support must be paid unil the child is 18, or if they are in college up until they are 22 as long as they are in school and still live with the mother.
    Can you cite the statute that says that? Its unsual for that to be codified, though its typically written into a support agreement.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Child Support - 2 child living at separate parents - 1 child turning 18 soon. [ 6 Answers ]

I will try not to make this too long but I went through a 3 year court battle with my ex with our 2 kids who are now 17 (Daughter) and 15 (Son). My son has been living with his dad since he was like 9 because I let him. Court battle was dropped due to judge thinking my ex was lying after 3 years...

Give up rights to a child--still pay child support? [ 11 Answers ]

I live in Florida and have a question about giving up the rights to a child that has been determined by DNA testing. If rights are given up, does that parent still have to pay child support?

Do you still have to pay child support if you give up your rights to a child? [ 15 Answers ]

My boyfriend found out he had a child last summer. The child was already six months old when he was told it was his. My boyfriend had a one night stand with this woman. He didn't and still doesn't even know her. One day she just saw him driving and called out to him, raising the child into the...

Bio father rights/abandonment of child/child support? [ 6 Answers ]

I am 6 weeks pregnant and the father is my ex boyfriend. I reached out to him 3 different times to see how he felt about this and what his interest would be in terms of involvement with his child. He has been quite verbally hostile and told me to die and other choice things. What time frame...

View more questions Search