Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    bryden1401 Posts: 13, Reputation: 2

Nov 6, 2007, 05:31 AM
    after receiving validity what next
    Ok I am in a settlement company as I stated before, we've done good so far but my biggest fear is court or judgement we are rasing 3 kids on one income all of our bills are paid out of our acount so if it get frozen or anything I'm screwed like said none of this has happened yet. I asked all the collections people and one attorney for validation of the debt so far only one has done it but it was only like 8 statements on a credit card I have had for like 10 yrs. So if they start sending validity but it's only like 12 statements what's next, I don't have money for an attorney or money to pay a big lump sum or let's face it I wouldn't be in this situation. It scares me to death the thought of going to court but some part of me believes that a judge in most cases would see I am doing all I can I have offered for them to set up payments and everythign. We have nothing, maybe $200 in saving, same in checking no house or land. We are broke lol!!
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Nov 6, 2007, 07:27 AM
    Validation has to satisfy two requirements. It has to prove that you signed for the debt and that the amount owed is correct.

Doesn't sound like they can meet that criteria.
    SAM2008 Posts: 12, Reputation: -1

Jan 12, 2008, 01:59 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by bryden1401
    Ok i am in a settlement company as i stated before, we've done good so far but my biggest fear is court or judgement we are rasing 3 kids on one income all of our bills are paid out of our acount so if it get frozen or anything i'm screwed like said none of this has happened yet. I asked all the collections people and one attorney for validation of the debt so far only one has done it but it was only like 8 statements on a credit card i have had for like 10 yrs. So if they start sending validity but it's only like 12 statements what's next, i don't have money for an attorney or money to pay a big lump sum or let's face it i wouldn't be in this situation. It scares me to death the thought of going to court but some part of me believes that a judge in most cases would see i am doing all i can i have offered for them to set up payments and everythign. We have nothing, maybe $200 in saving, same in checking no house or land. We are broke lol!!!

Listen, don't be scared. Fear won't help you out at all. Collections agencies/attorneys ALWAYS scare people and take people in court. Why? Because they know 95% of the times people don't show up in the court, which makes them to get a default judgement as a piece of cake without proving anything. Don't worry about anything. Think positive and defend yourself with what you have. Anything you send to these people, send with certifiled letter. If they sue you then answer the complaint and deny that you owe anything. The burden lies upon them to prove that you owe like a written agreement. If you live in a big city like NY then it would be many trips to court house to get the matter settled which might not be in the best interest of these companies. Why? A company cannot represent without an attorney, and attorneys don't come cheap. So, each time their attorney would show up in the court, it will cost them money. Also, you fighting and defending yourselve gives their attorney a sense that you are not easy target as you are prepared to fight. Further, never choose arbitator to decide your case because you will lose the chance to appeal your case then. Always choose judge. If you loose the case then appeal. This way not only you can buy a lot of time to prevent collecting anything from you but also this stragegy might make the attorney to go away because they don't want all these fight and all that especially if it's not worth too much money. That's the reason most credit card companies don't bother suing the debtors.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Receiving and sending mp3 files [ 12 Answers ]

My hubby is in the music industry but he is not very computer literate and I okay but could be so much better, so between the two of us we run into problems here and there. My question is; sometimes people want to send him music they say where can I mp3 you this beat to. Well we use to have a guy...

Receiving tax amendment refund [ 1 Answers ]

How do I find out the status on a tax amendment that I mailed for a refund from my 2005 tax year? And can tax amendment refunds be direct deposited (I did supply banking account info) or are they only refunded by check?

How to go about receiving visitation of son [ 2 Answers ]

I wish to know the step needed to receive visitation with my 8 year old son through the court?

View more questions Search