Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    xraytobe Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Nov 5, 2007, 02:04 PM
    new shower install
    I am removing a shower tub combo and installing a 60x34 fiberglass shower. I am moving the wall out the area where the shower is going to be used to be the laundry room. There is a floor drain... I was wondering if I can use the existing floor drain for the new shower?? I appreciate all the help I can get. Thanks
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Nov 5, 2007, 03:21 PM
    I am a bit confuesd. The floor drain that you want to use, is it currently just an open floor drain and not part of the tub? Is this a concrete basement floor?
    xraytobe Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Nov 5, 2007, 09:44 PM
    The floor drain is not part of the existing shower, the laundry closet is on the opposite side of the shower, and there is a floor drain in this closet
    Shower drain

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I am not sure I completely understand the answer you gave. In order to use the floor drain does the showerpan drain have to terminate above the floor drain. If this is correct, does this setup act as a vent so the floor drain will drain. I thought all drains had to have a P trap and a vent. My only other option is to cut the concrete and re-rout the existing shower drain. I really appreciate the help. My son is coming home on the 16th and I am trying to have this shower functional. Thanks again... Brian
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Nov 6, 2007, 07:11 AM
    I was wondering if I can use the existing floor drain for the new shower??
    You may use the floor drain only if you do not trap the shower and use the floor drain as a indirect waste. This means platforming the shower and terminating the waste a inch or so above the floor drain. Good luck, Tpm
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Nov 7, 2007, 07:49 AM
    I am not sure I completely understand the answer you gave. In order to use the floor drain does the showerpan drain have to terminate above the floor drain. If this is correct, does this setup act as a vent so the floor drain will drain. I thought all drains had to have a P trap and a vent. My only other option is to cut the concrete and re-rout the existing shower drain. I really appreciate the help. My son is coming home on the 16th and I am trying to have this shower functional. Thanks again... Brian
    A floor drain is the only fixture that doesn't require a vent. If you mount the shower on a platform and terminate the drain a inch or more over the floor drain you will still be using it as a floor drain. However, if you connect direct to the drain line you will have to trap and vent your shower. Have a great visit with your son. Regards, Tom
    ploeg Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 9, 2008, 02:20 PM
    How do I seat a new shower drain in an existing fibrglass shower? The shower is on the 2nd floor and I have clear access from the floor below.
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Mar 9, 2008, 02:51 PM
    Ploeg... you are in a post from November 2007... you should repost your question as its own question at the ask section of plumbing... that would put you at the top of the list for answers and allow more people to assist you...but for now...you are stuck with me..;).

For now, tell me if you have already removed the old shower drain, what kind of replacement shower drain you have now and what kind of pipe you are working with... ok?

Are you asking how to install drain and what to seal the drain to shower base with.. Get back to me with answers. Talk soon... MARK

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Shower install [ 4 Answers ]

I am replacing a garden tub and putting in a shower by Onyxtop 60x42, I know that I need to cut the slab to put in a new drain from the center of the shower base to connect to the drain from the tub setup, do I need to run a vent line also?

Shower install [ 2 Answers ]

I am installing a free standing shower. My base seems to not be level. Can I use something like thinset under it to level it?

New Shower Install [ 3 Answers ]

I am installing a new Shower in a two piece bathroom. Can I tap into the existing Hot and Cold from the sink or will this rob me of the pressure I will need. I am running at 60 psi off a well pump. The bathroom is 25 feet away from the pump.

New shower install [ 3 Answers ]

I want to install a shower in a room next to where there is an existing toilet and sink. My question is on venting the new shower. I have access to the basement area, can I hook up the shower drain to the existing sink drain in the basement area. Will this properly vent the new shower? The...

Best way to install fixed shower head and personal shower [ 4 Answers ]

I am installing a new shower setup. I want to install a fixed shower head as well as a hand held personal shower with hose. On the Kohler website they sell a diverter valve with some sort of backflow valve for this purpose. I have a friend who just had this done and he has no diverter valve just...

View more questions Search