Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Lacey369 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 5, 2007, 01:02 AM
    Thermostat controlled gas fireplace
    Yesterday, a gas wall furnace was removed and is being replaced with a gas fireplace. Is it possible to hook up the thermostat that was used for the furnace to this fireplace? The only writing on the unit is "Insta-Flame CFM.
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Nov 5, 2007, 02:58 AM
    As far as I know, there will be a regulator switch, sort of one and of flame adjustment. I don't think it is thermostat controlled.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Nov 5, 2007, 05:30 AM
    I hope you didn't let that first post discourage you. The fireplace may not have come with a thermostat, but you can add one. You will have to put back all the parts from the wall furnace or new, similar ones. Likely it had a milivolt gas valve powered off the tiny voltage produced by the thermocouple in the pilot light. The thermocouple connects to the thermostat. The thermostat also has a pair of wires going to the gas valve. Power flows from the thermocouple through the thermostat to the gas valve. When the room is above the set temperature, the contacts in the thermostat open, breaking the circuit, shutting the gas off.

You need to rescue the thermocouple and gas valve from the furnace. If you can't, then buy new. I am not sure how common millivolt systems are now. It may be tough finding new parts.

Northern Heat, T-Top, and Acetc should know more about millivolt systems than I do if you need more help on some of the details. I would be just as happy to leave all these questions to those knowing more than me. Unfortunately, I often feel I need to jump in after somebody knowing less than me misleads somebody.
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Nov 5, 2007, 06:21 AM
    Why was my post discouraging, misleading and when will you stop villifying me labman, this was not a dog post after all? I wasn't talking 'out of my hat', I used to have one and that is how I used it. My neighbour has one and uses theirs the same way, for comfort heat and not necessarily a heating source as she has a gas furnace. Their gas fireplace is a lovely addition to their family room.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Nov 5, 2007, 06:49 AM
    I will leave it to others to judge.
    hvac1000 Posts: 14,540, Reputation: 435
    Heating & Air Conditioning Expert

Nov 5, 2007, 05:17 PM
    Do not feel bad tickle good old labman just has a few strange thoughts. Someday one of his non listed and labeled repair answers will hurt someone. You are not supposed to modify/change the operating safetys or controls on equiptment because UL/CSA has not tested it with the modifications. That makes it lawsuit heaven especially when you are telling a homeowner who has no idea what you are talking about does the work. labman does help many people but sometimes he feels that we do not go far enough to tell people how to hurt themselves. LOL I am off my soap box now. LOL
    oldsparkie Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 7, 2010, 01:11 PM
    I too use a thermostat on my fire place and would like to add some input. I have found that the milivolt of electricity that is produced off the electronic thermocouple in the fire place is so tiny that the thermostat or switch you use can make a difference and beware keep the wire run as short as possible or better yet go with the manufacture recommended wireless remote stat. I say these things because I have seen so many failures due to dirty contacts or bad connections and or to small / to long of wire runs/ the recommended parts will have like gold contacts and ways to improve better communications in a low voltage condition to your fire place. Long wire runs over small wire will cause bad voltage drop in a already low voltage condition .
    So to make a long story short I would say buy the wireless remote , hang it next to the old remote.
    If that is too far from the fire place to work you will have to relocate the remote.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Gas Fireplace thermostat [ 2 Answers ]

In my family room I have a Heatilator gas fireplace that came with a three wired remote switch which allows one to turn off and on manually as well as turn the system on/off depending on temperature setting. The problem with this system is that the fireplace will turn on/off at any time the...

Gas Piping Question about gas fireplace [ 5 Answers ]

Hello all, I'm not sure whether to ask this question in the heating forum or here, but it seems to be more a piping question. I am installing a gas fireplace. I got it used, and pieced it together from two sources, meaning I'm needing to change a few things. The burner I got was configured...

Wait6000 humidifier controlled by Noma THM501 thermostat [ 1 Answers ]

I have just installed a Noma THM501, 5+2+2 digital thermostat with humidity indicator. I'd like to use it to control my Wait 6000 furnace mounted humidifier as the humidity sensor on the humidifier does not seem to be accurate. The sensor on the thermostat seems to more accurately reflect the...

Gas fireplace thermostat [ 2 Answers ]

The thermostat on my gas fireplace works OK, but is not very sensitive. Any recommendations for a thermostat that's more sensitive and doesn't take so long to come on again once it turns off?

Help wiring a fan controlled by thermostat [ 3 Answers ]

I purchased a 24,000 BTU forced hot-water heater to be installed in my attached garage, but I'm having a tough time understanding how to wire the fan properly to a thermostat. Currently, I have a 5-zone plus priority 24 volt Argo AZ-6P (120 VAC) Zone Valve controller opperating 3 zones of my home...

View more questions Search