Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    stormey44 Posts: 380, Reputation: 3

Nov 4, 2007, 07:15 PM
    Baby gender and ulrasound
    How early can the sex of a baby be seen on a ultrasound?? I read a lot of different things so can so one please help?
    macksmom Posts: 1,787, Reputation: 152
    Ultra Member

Nov 5, 2007, 05:26 AM
    Most doctors do the "gender ultrasound" at 20 weeks... there are some independent ultrasound offices that will do it at 15 weeks though... but obviously the longer you wait the more accurate it is going to be, that's why doctors wait until 20 weeks.
    tamed Posts: 255, Reputation: 33

Nov 5, 2007, 05:31 AM
    To my knowledge, the sex of a baby can be determined by a skilled sonographer from around 18 weeks but it all depends on the position of the baby. Hope that helps.
    babieface85 Posts: 332, Reputation: 24

Nov 5, 2007, 11:02 AM
    I have been told you can tell at 15 weeks but that's an exception not the rule. Most say 18 to 22 weeks is the best time to find out the sex of your baby.
    alkalineangel Posts: 2,391, Reputation: 323
    Ultra Member

Nov 5, 2007, 11:42 AM
    Genitals are typically formed by 14-15 weeks, but you run the risk of a 'late bloomer" if you do one too soon, hence the baby boys out there with pink rooms... :) Most insurance companys will only pay for one ultrasound, so many docotrs will time that one ultrasound at a good time to determine the sex AND get the needed measurements of your baby to accurately determine its age. The point of an u/s is not to determine sex, but to see if it is growing correctly and to date your pregnancy... the sex thing is a bonus. My first child was a surprise for this reason, he wouldn't show the goods, and they don't waste time and equipment looking for it... luckily as another poster mentioned, there are many private places out there now a days. Good luck.
    macksmom Posts: 1,787, Reputation: 152
    Ultra Member

Nov 5, 2007, 11:47 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by alkalineangel
    My first child was a surprise for this reason, he wouldnt show the goods, and they dont waste time and equipment looking for it...luckily as another poster mentioned, there are many private places out there now a days. good luck.
    Yeah, my sister is pregnant with her first child and she is determined to find out the sex... she knows what happened to me.
    We went for our 5 months visit and ultrasound... we tried for a half hour, no luck... the baby kept it's legs crossed and hands on the knees, we kept nudging my belly and I even got up and walked around... no luck still. I have a little girl that is just as stubborn now as she was in the womb! :D

My sister though found one of those 3D ultrasound offices, they will do ultrasounds for $125... so she is keeping them in mind if she can't find out the sex at her 5 month appt.
    alkalineangel Posts: 2,391, Reputation: 323
    Ultra Member

Nov 5, 2007, 11:49 AM
    Sounds like my 1st son, I had planned on doing that if my son in utero had decided to be as bashful/stubborn as my first, but luckily he was much more willing to cooperate lol.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Gender of a baby [ 7 Answers ]

I am pregnant and its my 10 week, did any one has a test method to know what is the gender of my baby.. is it a babyboy or babygirl?

What about the gender? [ 7 Answers ]

Hiya I know its just impossible to know what you are having as in GENDER but does someone have an tricks or secrets on how to find out what gender your/my baby is?? Thanks

Determine Gender [ 1 Answers ]

I am 15 weeks pregnant. How many weeks will I have to be before the gender of my baby can be detected by ultrasound?:)

Everything Has A Gender [ 1 Answers ]

You may not know this but many nonliving things have a gender... *Ziploc Bags are Male, because they hold everything in, but you can see right through them. *Copiers are Female, because once turned off; it takes a while to warm them up again. It's an effective reproductive device if the...

Baby's gender [ 7 Answers ]

I'm 15 weeks pregnant and curious if it is a boy or a girl

View more questions Search