Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    handymanJ Posts: 11, Reputation: 1

Nov 3, 2007, 02:56 PM
    Blacktop over concrete
    I have a driveway that needs resurfacing, there's a lot of big cracks and plenty of small ones. Half the driveway is made of concrete with the stone showing, the other half is smooth concrete. What's the best way to resurface this? Is it possible to use blacktop, driveway sealant to do this job? What would be best to use on the cracks? HandymanJ
    caryb Posts: 9, Reputation: 2

Apr 7, 2008, 02:45 PM
    If thisc is "CEMENT" Then This link has good stuff... Might need to Patch some spots w/2 coats.. Polymer is good stuff... LikeNu Polymer Concrete Resurfacing Paint!

Hope this helps someone?
    the1unv Posts: 285, Reputation: 31

Apr 7, 2008, 08:22 PM
    If you put asphalt over concrete which has cracks in it... the asphalt will crack in the same spot in no time at all. Just a fact.
    Mike
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Apr 7, 2008, 08:44 PM
    I think the1unv misread your question a bit. You aren't planning to install asphalt over concrete just the liquid sealler, right? He is right about not doing that but I think you asked a different question. Black top sealer is pretty much like an exterior paint that stands up to traffic for about a year. Cracks will return to black top and certainly to your cement or concrete drive. You can surface the drive with the polymer mentioned above and it will look great, for the first season. The polymer will crack exactly where the concrete is cracked now, you have movement in your gravel and soild and that drive is pretty much shot, band aides will only last for so long.
    the1unv Posts: 285, Reputation: 31

Apr 8, 2008, 08:00 AM
    Yes I did read it wrong ballengerb1... and again I agree with what you said.
    Mike
    Lisa Beal Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 27, 2008, 07:19 PM
    We have a hot top driveway and thinking about changing to a cement driveway instead. Can we put cement over asphalt? What would be the best way to approach this project? Thanks Lisa
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Apr 27, 2008, 07:25 PM
    The best wau would be if you could open your own question instead of tacking onto soimeone else's oldquestion. Go to the top of the page and click on ASK. By the way, no concrete of black top, take away the asphalt and make sure you have a good gravel base to pour concrete at least 4" thick.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Resurfacing Blacktop Driveway [ 5 Answers ]

Can you recommend a resurfacing material, specifically a brand name, that we can use on our blacktop driveway that will not carry into and on our garage floor. Our garage floor has recently been sealed with a commercial poxy finish and we do not want it to show black marks from the driveway. ...

Pouring Concrete Slap over Concrete piers [ 1 Answers ]

I drew a fairly detailed drawing of the slab that I wanted, with the piers (flagpole support piers, with pipes down to put poles into) shown so they could do it all in one pour. Well, I guess our general contractor cannot read the drawings because all I got were the piers with the metal in them. ...

Hang concrete plaque on concrete wall [ 6 Answers ]

I hope you can help. I am pretty clueless about these things. I have a big serious retaining wall in the backyard and want to attach an 18 x 24 inch concrete decorative plaque to it. I am afraid of damaging it. Is there a way I can attach something this heavy without drilling? Thanks, Lissa

Pouring interior concrete slab over existing, cracked concrete slab [ 4 Answers ]

I am turning part of my carport into a new living room. I am going to pour a concrete slab about 4 inches thick over the existing carport floor which is a concrete slab. The existing slab has a few cracks, the largest of which is about an 1/8in. Wide and raised about an 1/8in. What would be the...

To concrete or not to concrete [ 8 Answers ]

... that is the question, and here is my situation: I'm getting ready to drop in my Kholer 60" one piece fiberglass shower (no tub) on my basement concrete floor. I've asked two different contractor friends whether or not I should set in concrete. One said definitely, without hesitation. He said...

View more questions Search