Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mmangrum Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 13, 2005, 10:15 AM
    Vanity Water Lines
    We are having a house built and the plumber ran the water lines up through the floor rather than through the wall. I have never seen this before. Is this common? I am concerned that the lines will not have the strength to support a shutoff valve? Are there any codes related to this issue?

Thanks,

Mike
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Nov 13, 2005, 02:20 PM
    Hi Mike,

Do you mean he's running the 1/4" supplies up through the cabinets or is he running the 1/2" branches up the walls? Either way is not acceptable You will take up floor space in the cabinet and run the risk of hitting them and causing a flood. If he's running the 1/2" branches up the wall This will be the first time I've ever heard of it and I'v been in the trade for over fifty years.
    Code callsfor all water pipes to be strapped and secured. Good luck, Tom
    mmangrum Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 13, 2005, 03:39 PM
    He is running them up through the cabinets about 3 inches from the wall.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Nov 13, 2005, 06:34 PM
    When I was a kid, all of the pipes including the drain pipe came up through the floor. Not sure when they switched. I always thought it was a better place for supply pipes than in an outside wall where they can freeze. The drain is another matter. It can't turn and go back down after the trap without a vent or you have an ''S'' trap, long banned. I would call the local building inspector.
    dclynch Posts: 202, Reputation: 19

Nov 14, 2005, 07:06 AM
    We needed this in our old house
    When the bathroom and then the kitchen were renovated in our 110 year-old house, I had them put the water lines through the floor rather than up the exterior wall. The wall insulation cavity is only about 3" deep and that was not enough to prevent freeze-ups when the Boston temperature dropped to near zero. We've had no problems since the relocation and both setups passed inspection.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Nov 16, 2005, 06:30 AM
    Labman posts," When I was a kid, all of the pipes including the drain pipe came up through the floor. Not sure when they switched. I always thought it was a better place for supply pipes than in an outside wall where they can freeze."

Lab, when we were kids we were lucky to have inside plumbing, LOL.
    But seriously folks! Back then, the supplies coming up out of the floor were 1/2" galvanized pipes you could smack with a hammer and not faze them. Todays supplies are 1/4" chrome over soft copper that can be dented, crimped, and easily damaged. As for the freezing part, back then homes weren't as well insulated, (if at all) as they are today.
    I still say, "This is is not acceptable, You will take up floor space in the cabinet and run the risk of hitting them and causing a flood."
    The best way is how we supply fixtures at the present time. Not through the floor but concealed in the walls and protected by insulation. Cheers, Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Sizing Water Lines [ 3 Answers ]

Tom, It's me again. The guy finishing his basement. I've made it all the way to being ready to run water pipes for my basement bathroom and wet bar. Here's my question. Our house is about 3 years old and the builder or plumber was nice enough to stub out the water lines above where our...

No running water in one sink of double vanity [ 8 Answers ]

Hello all. I have an original (1990) builder-grade double vanity in my master bath. One sink works perfectly, the other sink will not run water. I checked the shut-off valves under the sink, they seem fine. There was no reason for them to have been turned off anyway, I was just making sure. ...

Vanity Staron (like Corian) Overflow drain lines [ 5 Answers ]

We are trying to install a new Staron double bowl lavatory vanity top. We have put in a Moen Asceri faucet with pop up drain. They have included a plastic adaptor for the drain to hook the overflow tube from the sink, and you put it between the sink underside and the tailpiece. It is white plastic...

Air in water lines [ 1 Answers ]

I have a on going problem with air in my water lines. When the outside water is turned on either the water comes in bursts or it is steady but with air bubbles. I have a horse farm and the water lines to my paddocks & barns froze and broke last winter (30 below 0 with no snow) so all of them were...

Vanity drain line and water supply [ 5 Answers ]

Tom, I have a couple of questions for you. I am installing a double simk vanity. What is the standard for the drain line coming through the wall, as far as how high off the floor, and how far through the wall should it protrude for the trap adapter etc. same thing for the supply lines coming...

View more questions Search