Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Allison Good Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 30, 2007, 06:43 PM
    Daschund - ear problems
    My daschund has an ear infection - vet is recommending draining his ears under anesthia to speed up the healing process - is this worthwhile? He is not in pain and procedure will cost $400 and he will still be on the antibiotics the same length of time
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Oct 30, 2007, 07:28 PM
    Ear infections are a huge problem with Labs. My vet never did that. However, your dog could have a much worse problem than any of mine have had. Is the infection in the middle or inner ear? If so, it may be more important to do it.
    RubyPitbull Posts: 3,575, Reputation: 648
    Ultra Member

Oct 31, 2007, 06:32 AM
    Labman has a very good point. You might want to ask your vet if the infection is in the inner ear and what the outcome will be for the dog over the course of his aging if you do not opt for the surgery. If you are concerned that you may be spending money unnecessarily (which I can relate to and don't blame you one bit for questioning this), I would suggest that you seek out a second opinion from another vet in your area and have him/her examine your dog. Without being able to see how bad the infection is online, it is hard to advise you on whether you should go ahead with the surgery.
    Lilmsperfect Posts: 19, Reputation: 1

Oct 31, 2007, 05:36 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Allison Good
    My daschund has an ear infection - vet is recommending draining his ears under anesthia to speed up the healing process - is this worthwhile? He is not in pain and procedure will cost $400 and he will still be on the antibiotics the same lenght of time
    I don't think that is nessacary. My dog had similar probleme and we got some ear drops for her if you ask your vet they shouldn't turn you down and you said yourself your dog is not in any pain its usually only in circumstances that make your pet feel uncomfrotable that they will do these type of procedures if your vet does not recommend the ear drops if you feel yourself that you don't want your do to have the op then you can go to a good local pet shop and they usually sell the ear drops I brought mine for about £30 but its still cheaper. If you want to no the name of the drops then write back and I will find out for you I think we may still have them so I will have a look.
    RubyPitbull Posts: 3,575, Reputation: 648
    Ultra Member

Nov 1, 2007, 04:54 AM
    Lilm's we can't assume anything here. Without knowing exactly what his going on with Allison's dog, you could be suggesting something that may cause her dog to go deaf in that ear. Just as there are different types, and degrees, of infections in humans it is the same with dogs.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Back problems with daschund mix [ 1 Answers ]

I have a daschund mix, he is about 3 years old... yesterday we were sitting out in the garden and he jumped up, gave a yelp and has been hurting ever since. I thought he had gotten a bug bite (which has happened before). . I was unable to find any bites on him and he was still not feeling well this...

Daschund skin problems [ 4 Answers ]

I've have a 9 mth daschund and she has been a great delight in my life. However, until about 2 months ago I noticed a growing bald area on her body. The bald spot is about 3 inches wide. The problem continued with hairless patches, more like receding hair on her rumpus/hind area, back legs...

My daschund has problems! HELP! [ 22 Answers ]

My little 2 year old mini daschund still isn't potty trained! What should I do? Lately he also has been having back problems. We haven't taken him to the vet yet and I was just wondering what they might be. He just wimpers everyonce in a while and somedays he can't jump up onto furniture and...

Daschund problems [ 1 Answers ]

I have a 6 month old daschund. She is the BEST dog in every way but she has a problem with peeing in the house. Particularly on our bed. I love having her sleep with us, but I cannot endure the peeing any longer. I have also had problems with crate training her. She poops and pees in her crate....

Mini-Daschund w/ ear problems [ 1 Answers ]

We brought home a 1 year old mini-daschund about 2 months ago. He is great, but about 2 days ago he started scratching his ears and rubbing them on the carpet and whining. I have cleaned the edges out with Q-tips and was able to clean out some brown gunk, but although he was very still, I was...

View more questions Search