Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    boop21197 Posts: 41, Reputation: 2

Oct 30, 2007, 01:11 PM
    Son wanting to get credit
    My son is 18 years old, he is mildy retared, he has also moved out of my house and is living with family, he wants to get his own credit card so he can establise his own credit, how should he go about this, I'll will need to help him. He get SSI each mo. And does not work, cause the SS says that he can only make 85.00 a mo. And no one will hire him for 1 day, cause that would be a 1 day pay. Somewhat. If you know what I mean.
    So can someone please tell me how to help him get his own credit card so he can establise his own credit.
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Oct 30, 2007, 01:16 PM
    He can't get his own credit card, under no circumstances would a lending company give him one without supervision. If he could get and hold down even a small job for a year or so and establish a credit rating by paying off bills, then maybe so, until then, not possible.
    bryden1401 Posts: 13, Reputation: 2

Nov 5, 2007, 11:09 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by boop21197
    My son is 18 years old, he is mildy retared, he has also moved out of my house and is living with family, he wants to get his own credit card so he can establise his own credit, how should he go about this, I'll will need to help him. he get SSI each mo. and does not work, cause the SS says that he can only make 85.00 a mo. and no one will hire him for 1 day, cause that would be a 1 day pay. somewhat. if you know what I mean.
    so can someone please tell me how to help him get his own credit card so he can establise his own credit.
    Can you get one and put him on as an authorized user and let him pay it he will get credit for it
    danielnoahsmommy Posts: 2,506, Reputation: 297
    Ultra Member

Nov 5, 2007, 11:29 AM
    Try getting a gas card
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Nov 5, 2007, 05:37 PM
    This lady is responsible for getting a secondary card for her son. If he doesn't pay, she has to.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Nov 5, 2007, 06:08 PM
    He should not get a credit card, they are for people who have the ability to pay. If he saves up money, he can or may get a secured card, that is based on the money he puts in the bank to insure they get paid,

Since he has no income, he has no way to pay, So if he is able to actually work, he should, if he could get one day work, then why not 20 days work, he may lose his SSI, but if he is able to actually work he should not be getting it anyway.
    KCDave Posts: 61, Reputation: 5

Nov 6, 2007, 09:03 AM
    I agree with Chuck, your son does not need a credit card. Actually no one does :), but getting one for your 18 year old with no job is just dumb dumb dumb. Teach him to save his money and then buy what he wants, you and he will be much better off.

I have seen many mildly retarded folks that work and make decent money. Depending on his disability he might be able to earn as much or maybe even more. The last thing I would worry about is his credit score.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Wanting to get out! [ 3 Answers ]

I currently rent an apartment, and I signed a 1 year lease in July of last year. When I moved in, I called the office because I had no kitchen cabinet door, and was missing a drawer. Also, the dishwasher we were promised never worked. They never did anything about it. The neighborhood is bad, and I...

Just wanting to know a little ? [ 12 Answers ]

Hey I just got a question. Ive been doing OK, ups and downs but leveling me self off. But I was pondering, I know I am to give her space and let her live fine and dandy. What my question is , on the on and off times if I was always the one to chase her and get her back is that the same as her...

Bank loses pmt records-turns son into credit bureau.read on! [ 7 Answers ]

This is unbelievable! Back in Oct. 06, my husband and I helped our 22 yr. old son with some bills and debt he got himself into thinking he was ready and mature enough to be out on his own. He acquired just over $300 in service fees from the bank for bad checks. Bank closed his acct. Each payday I...

Wanting 2 [ 5 Answers ]

My fiancée and I have been togather for 3 years we are getting married in October and we are wanting to have a baby is there anything I should be doing to prepare myself for trying to get pregnant? We are finically stable and looking to buy a home right now we rent a nice house. I'm only 21 he is...

Guinea pig issue [ 8 Answers ]

I would like your opinion please read and let me know what you think Most of you know me and I am always talking about my guinea pig rescue or my pets or my daughter, well recently, we took part in a huge rescue, I will post the article so if you all wanted to read it you could A seizure of...

View more questions Search