Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    twobit7272 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 29, 2007, 11:03 AM
    Misrepresentation during argument
    I have absolutely no idea where to post this question--none of the topics seemed just right. So I'm sorry if I'm in the wrong place.

I am wondering if there's a name for a certain technique some people use when arguing/debating with others. Most ploys used in arguments seem to have names, so I assume it does. Here is the technique:

Mary says, "The most important quality people look for in a car is color."

John says, "Well, color may be important, but I don't think it's the MOST important quality people look for."

Mary says, "I disagree with you John. People DO think a car's color is important."

John says, "I never said it wasn't important. I said it wasn't the MOST IMPORTANT thing they look for."

The technique Mary has used here is imply that John entirely dismissed the importance of a car's color, and to say that she disagrees with that. She completely misrepresented what he said.

Does this underhanded ploy have a name?
    tomder55 Posts: 1,742, Reputation: 346
    Ultra Member

Oct 31, 2007, 04:40 AM
    Straw man ? Straw Man

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Mortgage refinance misrepresentation [ 6 Answers ]

Is there any recourse against the mortgage company for fraud and or misrepresentation after signing with the title company?

Wack argument [ 2 Answers ]

OK so I have not asked in a while but I do not no what to do!! My ex is being so retardid! I mean I loce the kid and he was my first love but I can still not get over him!! I tried doing what everyone told me to do but we got in an argument the other night and he told me to fugure out what I want...

Unsound argument and invalid argument [ 1 Answers ]

What is the difference between an unsound argument and an invalid argument? Give an example of each. When you are building an argument for an issue that is significant to you, do you think it is more important to be sound or valid? Why?

Buyers agent misrepresentation [ 3 Answers ]

I have been in the process of purchasing a home through a buyers agent. The process has been long and we have passed the contracted settlement date. The sellers agent made me aware that another offer was now on the table but the sellers would still like to go through us as long as we had all our...

Settling an argument. [ 3 Answers ]

Had a somewhat heated discussion about the side effects of a plumber using muratic acid to clean a drainage pipe (clogged by washer discharge, mostly). I maintain that this is tempting to use but could cause damage to the pipes leading to some fairly serious repair work. Do plumbers actually resort...

View more questions Search