Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    froggy7 Posts: 1,801, Reputation: 242
    Ultra Member

Oct 28, 2007, 05:43 PM
    Treating dog bites
    My poor Trink got bit at the dog park this morning (and do NOT get me started on people who bring a foster Great Dane to a dog park without knowing how it's going to interact with other dogs!). It doesn't look that bad... one puncture up on top of her shoulder (where the little bumps are) and one puncture further down on the fleshy part of the shoulder. I've washed the wounds out, treated them with neosporin, and let her take it easy for the day. She's doing full weight-bearing on the leg, eating, drinking, and eliminating like normal. Is this something I can just keep an eye on, and take to the vet if things seem to be getting worse? Or am I better off going to the vet now just for the extra reassurance?

And should I do anything different when we go to the park next week (besides checking to see if the Dane is there before going in, obviously)? Or just treat it like a normal trip? She likes to go to the park, and I don't want her getting some sort of phobia about it.

(Apparently the Dane had been kept as a brood at a puppy mill, and is very aggressive to other female dogs, but not males. Which the foster parent knew, since they have a female greyhound that has a rather testy temper herself, which the Dane had attacked.)
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Oct 28, 2007, 06:18 PM
    Sounds like as good as anything. Too bad there isn't any treatment for stupidity.

Edit, One treatment for stupidity would be to point out the problem to the operator of the park. I hope you already did.
    bushg Posts: 3,433, Reputation: 596
    Ultra Member

Oct 29, 2007, 05:37 AM
    It would be nice if you could get in touch with the foster group, that they are fostering the Dane for. Maybe they would think twice about letting these people foster their dogs.
    RubyPitbull Posts: 3,575, Reputation: 648
    Ultra Member

Oct 29, 2007, 05:58 AM
    Froggy, the same thing happened to a relative's older pitbull mix that was visiting me. He was attacked while we were walking by another dog that wasn't on a leash, and there were puncture wounds. I took him to my vet to make sure I had done everything right to keep the wounds from getting infected. The vet told us to not bandage the wounds, gave him a shot of antibiotics, and gave us medication for 10 days. The wounds were deep enough to cause me concern (one tooth punctured his muzzle straight through). So, you might just want to call your vet and let him/her look at the bite marks. Just cleaning it out doesn't always keep an infection from setting in. Better to play it safe.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Dog jumps and bites my face! [ 12 Answers ]

Our 8 month old beagle/boston terrier mix is starting to calm down only slightly. She was spayed a few months ago. She's a VERY hyper dog, always has to be running around, can't just sit still. Anyway, for the most part she's well behaved. The biggest problem is that all of a sudden she can just...

Treating giardia [ 9 Answers ]

Hi everyone,I have another question about giardia.. Jake has been being treated for it for 5 days now,It has helped quite a bit but for the last couple days his poop has gotten runny again at times.(mucusy and almost jelly like with a small bit of blood at times.The question I have for anyone out...

Dog Bites my mom [ 1 Answers ]

HI my name is Scooby "D" and as U can see I'm a very cute wiener dog I also have a sister Forest Gump we look alike but I don't bite unike my sis Forest . Anyhows I just wanted to say hello. R there... I had to leave my2 yr old forest at my sis house 4 about 7 months when i moved in with my sis...

Treating Vomiting Dog at home [ 5 Answers ]

My one-year old Brittany has been through the intestinal blockage route and survived, barely. Three months later he is vomiting stomach bile with a bit of grass and refusing food. Normally he will eat your arm if you don't put the food down quickly enough, so this is significant. I found that he...

View more questions Search