Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    proudmommy Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 26, 2007, 05:06 PM
    How do I terminate my daughters biological father's rights?
    My daughter is four years old. Her biological father has not seen her, supported her in any kind of way since Feb. 2006. I have been married for two years and 4 months. My husband is in the military and we are currently stationed in Georgia. We were in Texas before. My daughters biological father has known where we are. While my husband was deployed Dec.2005-July 2006, during this time, my daughter and I lived in South CArolina with my mom. This is where we are originally from, as well as her bio-father. He knew we were there and seen my child up until Feb.06. He just left the picture. I have actually contacted him a few times. HE has had my #'s. HE shows no interest at all. He will not voluntarily sign his rights off. My daughter knows my husband as her father, she calls him daddy and that is the only daddy she knows. I'm just confused, pissed an everything else because she for one thing has his last name, and she will be starting school next year. My husband and I have a 7 month old, also. I just feel like it is out of my hands, which is so unfair I take care of her and she is my daughter. Its like he has the whole situation is wrapped around his finger, and the only reason he won't sign his rights over is to get to me. Even if it would be easier for me to just give her my maiden name, and wait for adoption that would be fine. He just has no right to have rights and have her walking around carrying his last name. I'm sorry, just confused. I'm scared to go to court because I don't want them to give him visitation and all that now because she doesn't know him and that would mess her little mind up, you,know? I have never kept her away form him, he chose this. I know I will have to go to court about it, I just don't want to cause my daughter any confusion and hurt. PLEASE HELP!!
    kp2171 Posts: 5,318, Reputation: 1612
    Uber Member

Oct 26, 2007, 06:01 PM
    Not an expert here, wait for others to chime in and agree or correct...

I know you don't want to hear this but you can't terminate his rights.

He hasn't done right by you or his daughter. That doesn't mean he won't. As much as you don't want to hear it, the child is his as well...

Honestly, kids are smart and can roll with the punches better than we think. You are the one with the baggage and the one losing sleep. Yes, it might be a little confusing for a bit, but giving a child the chance to know her bilogical father as well as her loving parental father is NOT messing the child up.

It isn't convenient. It isn't pleasant. It didn't have to be this way. But the choice isn't yours to make alone. At least without the proper legal due process.

My step daughter never knew her biological father. He just didn't care to be a dad and left them... actually told the mom, when she asked how could he leave his child, that he could make others. Can you believe that?

Well.. I can tell you that my daughter would be furious with her mother if shed terminated her fathers rights. She wishes she knew him, and it has nothing to do with a lack of love from me or others in the family.

I'm sorry you are going through this. Like I said, it didn't have to be this way... but termination of his rights isn't something you get to up and decide alone.

Personally, going to court is really the best thing to do. It gets you out of denial and it gets him vested in his daughters interest. I don't care that there is a loving daddy in the pic. He still has a daughter that he should be responsible for...
    kp2171 Posts: 5,318, Reputation: 1612
    Uber Member

Oct 26, 2007, 06:06 PM
    Also, if you use the search topic at the top of the page and search the site for "termination of parental rights" you'll find hundreds of threads here where something like this has been asked...

Just might give you some quick perspective.

And don't forget, when in doubt about legal issue talk to a legal professional in your area about the specifics of your case... it's the only real way to know for sure.
    ordinaryguy Posts: 1,790, Reputation: 596
    Ultra Member

Oct 26, 2007, 06:51 PM
    Take him to court and hold his feet to the fire for every penny of child support he owes his daughter. It just might occur to him that letting your husband adopt her wouldn't be such a bad idea after all.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

How can I have my daughter's biological father's rights revoked? [ 8 Answers ]

How can I have my daughter's biological father's rights revoked? He has nothing to do with her. He has seen her maybe 3 times in the last 6 months, and he is expected to go back to jail. He does and sells drugs. I am simply terrified for him to be around her.

My Ex Wants to terminate my parental rights [ 3 Answers ]

I was married in MS ten years ago and the two of us had a daughter we were married until my daughter was 3, then she decided she wanted a divorce, for about a year after the divorce I had my daughter almost all the time, then she met a guy, every since then they have done everything to take away my...

Father wants to terminate rights. [ 4 Answers ]

My boyfriend is 18 years old and when he was 17 he got a 16 year old girl pregnant. Their baby is now 4 months old. While this girl was pregnant she physically attacted me and my boyfriend. And she broke into he's mother's house while he lived there and stole a car seat that he bought for he's car...

Terminate parental rights [ 1 Answers ]

I have a child who has never had contact with her father. He left me when I was 5 weeks pregnant. I want to know what I need to do to terminate parental rights in Texas.

My rights to protect my daughters [ 6 Answers ]

My husband has been sexually abusing his step daughter and he wants to see his natural daughter and I want to stop him, can I stop him and if so how?

View more questions Search