Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    TheRushiac Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 26, 2007, 10:26 AM
    Is it really wrong?
    I've been dating this girl for almost a year. We met last year when she was a Sophomore in high school and I was a Senior in high school. The age difference between us is about 1 year,and 2 months(I'm 18, she just turned 17 yesterday :) ). Nothing much has changed since I've started college, and no one that I know(yes even her parents) has a problem with me continuing to date her except for my mom. I see no problem with it at all, yet she insists that it is wrong for me to date her since I am now in college. She also claims that anyone she has spoken too about this has also said it is wrong for me to date her. She also says that I could ask anyone and they would say the same thing. So in taking up my mom's challenge, I would like to know if it really is that wrong for me to be dating this girl?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Oct 26, 2007, 10:30 AM
    Not in my opinion. What your mom may be worried about is your having sex with her. Depending on the age of consent where she lives, you could be bought up on statutory rape charges since you are no longer a minor and she may be under the age of consent.

But just dating? Nope! Tell mom she is talking to the wrong people or they are telling her what SHE wants to hear.
    TheRushiac Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 26, 2007, 10:37 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottGem
    Not in my opinion. What your mom may be worried about is your having sex with her. Depending on the age of consent where she lives, you could be bought up on statutory rape charges since you are no longer a minor and she may be under the age of consent.

But just dating? Nope! Tell mom she is talking to the wrong people or they are telling her what SHE wants to hear.
    We're not going that far anytime soon Mr. Gem. And I think the bolded one is the case, or she's BSing me as she is quite the drama queen...
    kp2171 Posts: 5,318, Reputation: 1612
    Uber Member

Oct 26, 2007, 10:39 AM
    Id say no... but I understand, as a parent, where she's coming from. When your son or daughter go to school you want them to focus on where they are... and having a girlfriend or boyfriend away can be a distraction. It just the truth. Sometimes the relationship gets to be so important that you miss out on other things, like getting to know other people. College is one of the best times in your life to "try out" relationship and start to know who you are and where you are.

I dated my HS sweetheart all through 4 years of college. I don't regret it. In some ways it made things easier... I wasn't always worrying about who to date and all that noise. So in some ways it gave stability. On the other hand I spent a lot of time away from school and missed out on some relationships that I think would have been worth the time.

My best friend in college dated his HS sweetheart when he went to school. She was one year younger. They are now married, with three kids. Happily ever after. My relationship ended after college. Crash and burn. Two very different endings.

BUT... dating at your age is NOT about finding the person to spend the rest of your life with. Like it or not, most people have a first love, and a second, repeat... and everyone always thinks one of their first loves is The One... if only the rest of us mortals could understand...

Well... we do. Been there. Done that.

It isn't wrong for you to date her... its just awkward in some ways...

So the key thing is this... you don't have to obey your mothers wishes to respect her. Agreement and respect are not the same thing. But you should allow her to voice her opinion, within reason, and not try to push her to change her mind. She's entitled to her opinion, and, again, I can see her angle, even if I don't agree.

The reality is this... even if you get some noise about it, as long as you are respectful to each other... or at least you try the best you can to let her have her say even if she can't have her way... it'll all wash away in time.
    Keatts16 Posts: 36, Reputation: 2

Oct 26, 2007, 04:09 PM
    I say heck no! I am a sophomore in high school and I am going out with a freshman in college. The only one that has a problem is my mom. (gee. Sounds a lot like your problem there lol)
    BleedingLove_XOX Posts: 20, Reputation: 3

Oct 28, 2007, 08:19 AM
    Of Course Not !
    You Love Her Right ?
    So That's All That Matters... One Year 2 Months Is Hardly An Age Difference !
    I Think Your Mum Is Just Being Overprotected Personally And Not Looking Into It Properly !
    Don't Dump Your Girlfriend Because Of This Stay With Her = )
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Oct 28, 2007, 10:29 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by BleedingLove_XOX
    You Love Her Right ?
    So Thats All That Matters
    While I agree with the rest of your advice, I have to comment on that portion. First, the OP said nothing about love. Second, at their age, really knowing they are in love is not a guarantee. And third, Love is not all that matters. Its what matters most, but there are a lot of other factors that come into play.
    kp2171 Posts: 5,318, Reputation: 1612
    Uber Member

Oct 28, 2007, 01:23 PM
    "all you need is love" is the speak of musicians and the naïve.

I'm happily married with a mate I've been with over 10 years...

I've loved other women. It isn't all you need, and it isn't near enough to keep things together. Sorry, not that simple.

As mentioned, it is the bedrock, the foundation, but there are a lot of ways to knock down a house.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Is There Something Wrong With Me? [ 16 Answers ]

okay so here's the deal guys.. im 17 yrs young and i have had two sexaul partners. The first one of which i lost my virginity to i never had an orgasm or came at all.. now im with another guy and i love him a lot and when we do have sex i enjoy it i never fake it but it seemslike i get dry fast and...

Wrong place at wrong time [ 11 Answers ]

Hello all Would like you r insight for my sister and her husband. They were recently arrested for murder in the 1st degree and conspiracy to commit robbery. They both claim that they were not going to rob the guy whom was an ex roommate but ask him for the money they felt he owed them when a friend...

Am I really doing something wrong? [ 1 Answers ]

I feel like everything I do in the relationship is a mistake. I would like to know if I am really at fault or if there is some deeper issue between us that needs resolved? My girlfriend and I have known each other for 10 years, but we have only been dating for 5. I recently proposed to her and...

Where did I go wrong? [ 4 Answers ]

:( Can anybody please tell me what I need to do with my 11 yr old son... I am single mother of 3 kids ages 15 and 11 and 21 months old... My son is very defiant and aggressive and disrespectful.. He is ADHD and has been on Adderall XR since he was 4 yrs old... He has not had a father figure in his...

What went wrong? [ 14 Answers ]

Optatus, in his De Schismate Donatistarum (On the Donatist Schism) II, 13, in PL 11:966, states that "the true Church cannot be cruel," since "dum sanat, vulnerat" (it causes pain while healing), ibid. in PL (Patrologia Latinae) 11:1020. Those whom we kill are not martyrs, since only members of...

View more questions Search