Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    statesgirl Posts: 77, Reputation: 0

Oct 25, 2007, 02:21 PM
    Studying Catholicism
    Hello,

My boyfriend is Catholic. I was never raised with a religion. My boyfriend is very serious about his religion, he doesn't mind I don't have a religion which I am thankful for. But I wanted to start studying the religion to see if I have the same beliefs as him. He said he would teach me but we are currently in a long distance relationship. So I was wondering if anyone knew of any good Catholic websites to study from?

Thank you very much!

p.s. If we aren't going to have the same beliefs then we aren't able to be get married (parents would never allow it!! ) So I want to know now in the relationship if we would be able to be together, depending on my beliefs.
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Oct 25, 2007, 02:30 PM
    Some people do get married who are of different beliefs and it can work. I know of one couple in particular who are very successful in their individual lives and also in their marriage. He is Jewish. She is Presbyterian. They have been married almost thirty years.

I also know personally many couples whereas one of the spouses is Protestant and the other is Catholic.
    Uber Member

Oct 25, 2007, 02:33 PM
    Here is the link to one site that might be a resource for you to learn more about the Catholic faith. I am sure that there are many other such sites. Also, I'm sure that there are many others on this site who are Catholic who would be glad to share with you the essentials of their faith.

Essentials of the Catholic Faith - Table of Contents
    shygrneyzs Posts: 5,017, Reputation: 936
    Uber Member

Oct 25, 2007, 02:33 PM
    YES! The EWTN network has an awesome website:
    Eternal Word Television Network, Global Catholic Network
    All Catholic and there are links in that site to practically anything you could want to know. There is a television program guide, if your cable carries the EWTN network. There are programs for beginning Catholics, not so beginning Catholics, people who are just curious, etc. Two of the presenters on that network have written a book called, "Catholicism For Dummies" - Catholicism For Dummies:Book Information:Dummies

That would the site I would go to - I often do go to. Very thorough and correct teachings.
    statesgirl Posts: 77, Reputation: 0

Oct 25, 2007, 02:35 PM
    Thank you everyone!
    Uber Member

Oct 25, 2007, 02:40 PM
    Oh, that's right! I forgot about EWTN since I don't watch television at home. I occasionally do watch t.v. though when I am in a motel out of town or when I am house-sitting for friends.

EWTN is excellent!
    RustyFairmount Posts: 165, Reputation: 40

Oct 31, 2007, 08:19 PM
    Better than a website, go to your local Catholic church NOW. It is about this time that the annual RCIA process begins. That stands for Rite of Christian Initiation for Adults. It's the way for willing adults to become Catholic.

The first period is called the Inquiry. It's when you get to ask questions and figure out whether you want to pursue becoming Catholic. If you miss that period, you'll have to wait until next year to become Catholic.
    br_hjs Posts: 160, Reputation: 11
    -

Oct 31, 2007, 08:35 PM
    You can still get married if he wants too... his parents can't live his life for him. I am catholic and have gone to catholic schools and everything and my boyfriend said he's southern baptist. I don't know what that is but even though I am catholic, I don't believe in a lot of stuff and I will just leave it at that. But just because he's catholic doesn't mean that you 2 can't get married. That should be up to the 2 of you. Maybe he will not want to because of his religion but that shouldn't matter... you 2 should just be happy together. My boyfriend says that he's atheist but before he said that he really is southern baptist... either way, I am catholic and I still talk to him. Its okay

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Catholicism? Meaning? [ 4 Answers ]

If I was to ask give me a summary of what the catholic church is about and why I should choose it over any other religion what would you say?

Studying in US [ 3 Answers ]

Dear Frenz, If anyone can quench my thirst of knowledge about how to pursue education in US with financial aid and education support.How can I get teaching Assistantship for pursuing PhD in structural dynamics in civil engg.pls guide me Thanks in advance, Regards

Methodology in studying religion [ 4 Answers ]

How would a student of religion, who may or may not have any religious convictions, set about examining a religion with which they were unfamiliar with, using methodology?

View more questions Search