Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    amricca Posts: 851, Reputation: 92

Oct 23, 2007, 12:33 PM
    Removing Thinset from Concrete Floor Slab
    I removed my Tile from a bathroom and the thiset under it will not come up off the concrete floor slab. I don't want to build up the floor much so putting a cement based leveler isn't an option except maybe to even it up a little bit. Anyone have any ideas of how to remove it? I've been chiseling away but it is really slow going.
    glavine Posts: 895, Reputation: 87

Oct 26, 2007, 08:29 PM
    Your floor wasn't sealed. That's your problem, and yea using a chisel will take forever and the results aren't all that great, your best bet is to rent a floor grinder just for concrete, it's a diamond blade that sands the surface, good luck
    jasontyip Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 28, 2007, 08:42 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by amricca
    I removed my Tile from a bathroom and the thiset under it will not come up off the concrete floor slab. I don't want to build up the floor much so putting a cement based leveler isn't an option except maybe to even it up a little bit. Anyone have any ideas of how to remove it? I've been chiseling away but it is really slow going.
    Don't try to do it by hand, it WILL take forever. I used a rotary hammer drill with a 3 inch chisel bit to get the bulk of the thinset up. Then took a sander to get everything smooth.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Concrete slab:Toilet flange below floor level [ 4 Answers ]

I am Installing a hardwood floor on a concrete slab. In order for that type of installation I will need to build up the sub-floor with 1/4 plywood alone with 3/4 hardwood floor. I am installing this in the bathroom. The flange of for the toilet will be about an 1" below the floor level. How do I...

Removing bolts from concrete floor [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I have a Sico murphy bed that is bolted into the concrete floor of my condo. It has a hydraulic jack system. I don't like the wall that it is on and want to move it. How do I unscrew the bolts that are holding it down? Then once I get them out what equipment do I use to reinstall the bolts into...

Removing Ceramic Tile from concrete slab [ 2 Answers ]

I am in th process of removing ceramic tile from my back porch. We are having a pool installed and need the slab scraped clean so they can float it install acrylic deck. I was told by the contractor that the surface needed to be as smooth as possible. Removing the tile was not difficult, I...

Removing a Shower Tile Pan on a concrete slab (Basement) [ 3 Answers ]

I am trying to figure out the best way to remove a tiled shower pan from my shower in the basement. I am planning on replacing the floor pan with a pre-fabricated version. I am presuming that I remove the existing tile with a chisel and hammer, my concern is how do I make the area level once I...

Loud cracking noise under ceramic tiles on concrete slab floor. [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I live in Florida and my home was built in 1994. Last night I was woken up by a very loud cracking noise under my floor tiles in the laundry room off the garage. None of the tiles broke,but now when I walk on them it sounds like there is loose mortar underneath them. My question is... what...

View more questions Search