Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Jacqui1978 Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Oct 21, 2007, 12:09 PM
    Laminate Flooring
    I need help... I am trying to figure out what is the best brand for me to buy between a 7mm quickstep and a 12mm St James brand. I was told that the 7mm quick step was such a good product that I could go lower in the thickness and it would be just as good as 12mm with other brands. Does anybody have any suggestions?
    JVPJRP Posts: 12, Reputation: 1

Oct 25, 2007, 03:35 PM
    I Need Help! We Had About 500 Square Feet Of Extra Thick Laminate Installed In The Entryway To Our Master Bedroom, The Hallway, Two(2) Walk-in Closets And The Bathroom Vanity Area. Right After Installation Which Was Place Upon An Underlay Called "floormuffler", We Experienced A "crackling" Noise Almost Everywhere We Walked. The Installer Says The Cause Is The Laminate And The Supplier Says The Laminate Was Not Installed Properly. Why The "crackle" Noise?
    peter030205 Posts: 56, Reputation: 5

Oct 26, 2007, 07:47 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Jacqui1978
    I need help...I am trying to figure out what is the best brand for me to buy between a 7mm quickstep and a 12mm St James brand. I was told that the 7mm quick step was such a good product that I could go lower in the thickness and it would be just as good as 12mm with other brands. Does anybody have any suggestions?
    Jacqui-

I've installed both 7mm and 12mm flooring. Not Quickstep but K-swiss for 7mm and Toklo for the 12mm. You can definitely tell the difference in product quality between the two when working with them... the 12mm obviously feels much more substantial. As far as those two products, the 7mm has I believe a 15 year residential warranty, while the 12mm has a lifetime res. Warranty.

Depending on where you're actually going to use the product you can decide from there. Not sure what the warranty is on Quickstep, but I would check on that, and if you're going to use it in a high traffic area you may want to go with a thicker product. Also, depending on how much you are going to install check out builddirect.com (I am not affiliated with the company) as they have a ton of options and I've found they are cheaper than the local stores.

Oct 26, 2007, 08:06 AM
    :)
    Quote Originally Posted by JVPJRP
    I Need Help! We Had About 500 Square Feet Of Extra Thick Laminate Installed In The Entryway To Our Master Bedroom, The Hallway, Two(2) Walk-in Closets And The Bathroom Vanity Area. Right After Installation Which Was Place Upon An Underlay Called "floormuffler", We Experienced A "crackling" Noise Almost Everywhere We Walked. The Installer Says The Cause Is The Laminate And The Supplier Says The Laminate Was Not Installed Properly. Why The "crackle" Noise?
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Oct 26, 2007, 08:11 AM
    JVP, please do not jump onto someone else's post, it creates confusion. Go to the home page and click on ASK. You can create your own post.

Oct 26, 2007, 08:23 AM
    Thanks! New Member Trying To Find Peters Answer To My Question About Laminate Flooring
    peter030205 Posts: 56, Reputation: 5

Oct 26, 2007, 11:13 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by JVPJRP
    Thanks! New Member Trying To Find Peters Answer To My Question About Laminate Flooring
    Hi, I didn't answer your question as I've never used Floormuffler before. My response was to the original question from Jacqui.
    glavine Posts: 895, Reputation: 87

Oct 26, 2007, 08:06 PM
    Go with the thick, I've also always found them to install easier as well
    As for being durable thicker is better

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Laminate flooring [ 6 Answers ]

Will laminate flooring increase or decrease the value of a home? My wife wants me to install it in our home, but it looks so cheap. I want tile. Any thoughts?

Laminate flooring [ 4 Answers ]

Hello, I paid a bulider just six months ago to lay a laminate floor in my lounge , six months later it has begun to rise in various places , I am very upset about this , and he's not prepared to put it right , so it looks as though I must try and fix it myself , trouble is I don't know why its...

Laminate flooring [ 3 Answers ]

I had a laminate floor installed a year ago. I live in the desert but we are in monsoon season now and it is hot and humid. I have noticed what looks like bubbling along some of the seams. What could be causing this and is there any fix to it? It is a glueless floating floor. Thanks... anne

Laminate Flooring [ 2 Answers ]

My husband and I bought some laminate flooring and after about 5-6 months it seems like one area of the floor has air underneath it. We left a .25 inch space around the whole livingroom but we still have a huge problem. What can we do to fix this. It seems like one section of the flooring looks...

Laminate flooring [ 3 Answers ]

I installed a Quickstep laminate floor 4 years ago. The laminate is bubbling in several places. Quickstep has a 20 year warranty, but has denied my claim. They say I used the wrong pad under the flooring. I used the pad that was recommneded by the retailer and in the Quickstep installation...

View more questions Search