Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    dutchy148 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 20, 2007, 03:52 PM
    Gas line test - acceptable pressure drop after 15 min
    Similar question to others re: gas line tests:

When the system is pressurized to at least 10 lbs and holds for 15 minutes (meeting the code required test criteria) but than starts to lose pressure at about 1lb./hr, is it common practice for professional installers to locate the sources of those leaks and correct them so the test pressure holds indefintely?

Thanks
    iamgrowler Posts: 1,421, Reputation: 110
    Ultra Member

Oct 21, 2007, 06:52 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by dutchy148

When the system is pressurized to at least 10 lbs and holds for 15 minutes (meeting the code required test criteria) but than starts to lose pressure at about 1lb./hr, is it common practice for professional installers to locate the sources of those leaks and correct them so the test pressure holds indefintely?

Thanks
    That would be my approach, but there is no code requirement to do so.

If our gas piping won't hold 10lbs overnight (or half the pressure of the gauge being used, usually a 30lb gauge), we track the leak down and back out whatever piping we need to to repair the leak.
    dutchy148 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 21, 2007, 09:10 AM

Thanks
    Thanks... this helps confirms where I was headed. Since you've clearly done this before... what's your preferred leak detection medium. I've used the specialized gas leak detector (also rated for air, etc.) and it contains tiny bubbles upon application and they remain as the fluid flows around the fitting. So far, haven't found my leak(s) using it. Going to shift to dish detergent. Any other inspired suggestions??

Thanks
    iamgrowler Posts: 1,421, Reputation: 110
    Ultra Member

Oct 21, 2007, 09:22 AM
    Thanks...this helps confirms where I was headed. Since you've clearly done this before... what's your preferred leak detection medium. I've used the specialized gas leak detector (also rated for air, etc.) and it contains tiny bubbles upon application and they remain as the fluid flows around the fitting. So far, haven't found my leak(s) using it. Going to shift to dish detergent. Any other inspired suggestions???

Thanks
    If it were me, I would pump it up another ten pounds and then use a mixture of liquid dish detergent and water in a spray bottle to spray every fitting.

Also, spray the test gauge, air filler valve and the packing on the gas cocks and any log lighter valves you might have installed -- I've had more than a few faulty test gauges and gas cocks over the years.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How to pressure-test gas pipe [ 15 Answers ]

Hi again! First, MANY thanks to you experts for the help I've gotten in the last month. I passed my plumbing inspection for my new bathroom and kitchen! Now, on to one more little one. I'm installing gas lines. The house was previously on oil heat and all other appliances were electric,...

Propane/Gas Line pressure test [ 3 Answers ]

Hello, Just found this forum, thanks all for creating! I have constructed an outdoor BBQ/Kitchen and I located a 100lb propane tank approx. 50 pipe feet from the point of use. I ran 1/2" black pipe with approx. 15 fittings. I pressure tested as per a plumbers advice with 15lbs of air for 15...

Gas line pressure test [ 4 Answers ]

I hate to be redundant on my first question here but I'm in a bit of a delimma. I have installed a black iron propane gas system in the house I am building by myself. (Retired and needed something to do and place to live) My propane supplier guy loaned me a gauge that you screw onto the end of the...

Pressure testing gas line [ 3 Answers ]

I am installing a new LP gas line into my basement. I have the line run and have a pressure tester connected to the line. I am getting conflicting info on the pressure and time I need to test to. I found an old thread (Aug 2005) on this forum that said 10 psi for 15 minutes. I also found a City...

Gas Valve pressure test [ 5 Answers ]

I just ordered a new gas valve for my fireplace. I damaged my old one by blowing compressed air into it to remove spiders that had found their way in through the gas orifice to the burner. Question: how do I test the water column pressure on the new valve, or do I assume it already comes pre-set...

View more questions Search